• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Any manga with a relationship between a human and a giant robot?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Didn't one of the early anime series have the kid sit on the robot's shoulder when he went into action?

You may have seen the opening credit sequence of Astroganger (1972-1973). In the sequence, there is a shot where the kid stands on the robot's shoulder. The way to pilot Ganger is that the protagonist fuses with Ganger, though. Ganger thinks and talks. Astroganger had a few manga.

Touma wrote:
That sounds like Giant Robo.
If I remember correctly the boy and the robot did have a relationship of sorts. They were like friends or brothers.
I do not think that it had a manga.

Actually, Yokoyama Mitsuteru and Ozawa (Submarine 707) Satoru drew a Giant Robo manga (1967-1968).
Since Yokoyama had been not satisfied with the quality of the manga, it had not become tankōbon for a long time. In 2005, Kōdansha released the tankōbon of the manga, and I bought and read it. There are also a few manga related to the Giant Robo OVA (dir. by Imagawa Yasuhiro).

In the Ambassador Magma manga by Tezuka Osamu, the boy made friends with Ambassador Magma.
Ambassador Magma said that he was a living rocket, rather than a robot, however.

d-ninja might have meant a romantic relationship, though.

Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:32 pm Reply with quote
@hyojodoji

It was most likely a still photo in a book, but it very likely came from the opening credits you mention.

I'm beginning to doubt we will ever hear from d-ninja again so it is sort of a moot point. I'm still trying to imagine how one would have a romantic relationship with something many times their size.
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
I'm still trying to imagine how one would have a romantic relationship with something many times their size.

Well, in the Pokemon games, you can breed a Skitty and a Wailord...
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:39 am Reply with quote
Unfortunately, my familiarity with Pokémon anything is more or less limited to an awareness of an existence of the franchise. When I started buying manga it was hard to avoid in comic shops. The only individual Pokémon I would recognize is that yellow creature whose name I can't spell.

In real life, I've seen some couples that were rather mismatched as to height, but never more than a foot or so. Aren't most giant robots large enough that a person will fit comfortably in the chest cavity?
Saffire

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:13 am Reply with quote
Well, there is a moe romance trope/fetish (depending on perspective) where one person is the size of a giant robot and the other is a regular person. Super Dreadnought 4946 is an example. I don't get the appeal but it is a thing.
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:26 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Unfortunately, my familiarity with Pokémon anything is more or less limited to an awareness of an existence of the franchise.

Not to derail the thread too much, but Skitty is a tiny thing, only coming in at 2', 24lbs. Wailord, on the other hand, is huge, being 47'7" long and weighing 877lbs. But because they're in the same "egg group", they can breed with each other.

It's the only thing I can think of that's equivalent in size difference to a human and a giant robot.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:38 pm Reply with quote
The best manga ever written features a relationship between a human and a giant robot, of the type mother son relationship. Its called Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind.

Nausicaa "raises" up one of the pre-war mass destruction giant robots and it believes her to be his mother. I cried when he died in the end.

For a romantic relationship look no further than Knights of Sidonia. Tanikaze's girlfriend is essentially a giant robot (technically a human/gauna hybrid but she is manufactured in a lab, someone can ride in her from a cockpit inside and she is gigantic).

Here is the kiss:
http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/sidonia-no-kishi/images/1/1f/Tsumugi_and_Nagate_first_Kiss.png/revision/latest?cb=20150803221526
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2