• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Snow White with the Red Hair Episodes 1-12 Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:54 pm Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:
I actually do find the overall conflict of how a Royal and a commoner will be able to live their lives together in a stratified society that obviously has some very firm societal norms about social class to be compelling.

That's the aspect of this story that has held my attention as well. Plus the author doesn't seem to be glossing over this issue. From what I've heard, the status issue will be a key focus of the next season. I certainly hope so.

I'm also wondering why Izana is unwed. Nor does there seem to be any eligible mates in the vicinity. There should be a constant stream of nobles at the palace parading their daughters before him. (This is a persistent theme in the second season of Saiunkoku Monogatari.) Izana certainly seemed authentically lonely and perhaps a bit jealous of Zen at the end of the final episode of the first season. I would think the pressures on Zen and Shirayuki would be somewhat diminished if Izana were to wed and father an heir.
Exalted Incarnate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Aylinn wrote:
Quote:
The concept of droit de signour with the peasant in question moving to another country.

Shirayuki is not a peasant. She lived in a town, which means she is a burgher.

The problem with this series is not that it has no far-reaching plot, but that individual, slice of life stories are not as good as they could be. For example, Natsume’s stories were done better.

By natsume, do you mean natsume's book of freinds? If so I agree that it is one of the best slice of life animes I have ever watched. I am still waiting for its next season.

@ zensunni,

I know that but did not have time to go into details and wanted to make a reference to something anyone could understand. But if they managed to read all of that I guess they understand it now...

[Edit]: removed unnecessary nested quotes. Please read the quoting guidelines. I also combined your consecutive posts. Errinundra.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:38 am Reply with quote
Exalted Incarnate wrote:
By natsume, do you mean natsume's book of freinds? If so I agree that it is one of the best slice of life animes I have ever watched. I am still waiting for its next season.

Yes, I mean Natsume’s Book of Friends. Other good example of a show where slice of life stories were really good is Monster. In Snow White the problem is that while the individual stories show that Shirayuki is capable as she manages to solve problems, they don’t show more than that, for example, make the heroine look at her situation from a different perspective. Something that was often present in Natsume’s Book of Friend’s stories and Monster’s stories.
sunflower

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:49 am Reply with quote
Aylinn wrote:
Exalted Incarnate wrote:

Yes, I mean Natsume’s Book of Friends. Other good example of a show where slice of life stories were really good is Monster. In Snow White the problem is that while the individual stories show that Shirayuki is capable as she manages to solve problems, they don’t show more than that, for example, make the heroine look at her situation from a different perspective. Something that was often present in Natsume’s Book of Friend’s stories and Monster’s stories.

Sure they do. She suddenly realizes Zen's perspective several times, and those of her the people surrounding her. All of the characters change that way. I thought the anime showed that.

Very few stories of any kind approach Natsume, but among those that don't this one does a great job, much more subtly than most anime out there. It's lack of overarching arcs is one that the beginnings of most manga have, where the mangaka don't know if anyone will ask for another chapter, then another volume.... You can see small arcs come into it, and as the manga gets longer, so do the arcs.

But isn't the main arc extremely obvious? How will she and Zen work out their relationship so that it's accepted by themselves and those they care about, like Zen's brother? Everything in the manga comes down to that.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Sure they do. She suddenly realizes Zen's perspective several times, and those of her the people surrounding her. All of the characters change that way. I thought the anime showed that.

Very few stories of any kind approach Natsume, but among those that don't this one does a great job, much more subtly than most anime out there. It's lack of overarching arcs is one that the beginnings of most manga have, where the mangaka don't know if anyone will ask for another chapter, then another volume.... You can see small arcs come into it, and as the manga gets longer, so do the arcs.

By a different perspective, I didn’t mean other’s perspective, but of course it is nice that she gains some insight into Zen since it is good for the romance, but a perspective on her situation, acions, etc. For example: in Natsume those stories are used to give dynamic development to the main characters. In Snow White it is not the case. Shirayuki’s struggles exist because of the outer world. limiting the scope of stories, while Natsume and Tenma also have inner struggles. She doesn’t have any dilemma like Tenma and doesn’t go through growing up like Natsume. Her present character and attitude undergo no change. She doesn't face any major doubts connected to her believes and actions. It seems we may get to know how she has become to be the person she is now, which is good, but unfortunately, this will be limited to flashbacks.

I know that the author of Akagami didn’t plan this series to be so long and I took it into consideration while evaluating this series. That’s why I don’t mind that the plot and the world is not as well thought-out as, for example, in Akatsuki no Yona. I like it that it has a much better romance than most shoujo series and the heroine is level-headed, but it also has its own share of problems. Still, I gave it Very Good, so it's not like they bothered me a lot or something.
phia_one

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:23 am Reply with quote
I just watched this during the course of the week and I really enjoyed it. It helps that the progression of Shirayuki and Zen's relationship felt natural.

As others have already said, the issue of class that gets addressed was what really held my attention. I'm definitely going to watch the second season.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2