• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Animation Blu-ray Disc Ranking, September 28-October 4

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KutovoiAnton

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Sore ga Seiyuu is selling better then I expected. Nice, that show was really good.

Also, WB, when are you going to announce Diamond is Unbreakable? Do you still doubt Stardust Crusaders success?
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Can't say am surprised at how bad Ushio & Tora selling. Out of all the stuff you could revive from the 90's,why was such an obscure series picked?
DLH112

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Are those numbers legit for symphogear? I remember something else (i forget if it was symphogear season 2 or love live maybe) sales were bloated just for volume 1 because it came with a ticket to some event or something.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Themaster20000 wrote:
Can't say am surprised at how bad Ushio & Tora selling. Out of all the stuff you could revive from the 90's,why was such an obscure series picked?

Because it wasn't obscure. It was very popular when it was current, and it inspired a lot of current manga.
synaia

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:06 pm Reply with quote
DLH112 wrote:
Are those numbers legit for symphogear? I remember something else (i forget if it was symphogear season 2 or love live maybe) sales were bloated just for volume 1 because it came with a ticket to some event or something.

Symphogear came with a lottery ticket to get a good seating place for an event. Many of the V1's of shows come with such lottery tickets.
CallumKeyblade

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Hooray for the Love Live! concert. I would love to go to one in person but sadly it probably won't happen.
xzy123

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:44 pm Reply with quote
tokyo ghoul awesome
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:57 pm Reply with quote
It's nice to see Prison School hitting some reasonable numbers. I sort of expected it to be a total flop, to be honest.

Hopefully Ushio & Tora's numbers are good enough to keep Mappa making it. I never expected it to do super well in disc sales, but it does seem like something that would get solid TV ratings. As long as it has a decent air time.
FrameFreeze100

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:03 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
It's nice to see Prison School hitting some reasonable numbers. I sort of expected it to be a total flop, to be honest.

I had high hopes it would sell well. If it maintains these numbers for all volumes a season 2 should happen.

- faithful adaptation (JC Staff breaking their almost decade long streak of no nudity)
- all-star seiyuu cast
- manga was already popular

Only thing that sucks about Prison School is the bad English dub (poor voice acting + questionable rewrites) which Japanese buyers don't even care about and probably aren't even aware of, though FUNimation should be concerned for their domestic sales in the future...

Plenty of hits in Japan don't always carry over in America, especially when a company gives a subpar effort
John Thacker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:29 pm Reply with quote
So Overlord's numbers at least are "fixed" now, along with everything else released on September 25-26, presumably Amazon or some other first week sales didn't make it into last week's report. This basically doubled most shows. Still not quite enough extra for School-Live! to push into this week's ranking, but like everything else released then not quite as dire as originally depicted. (Manga sales boost pretty good, though, so not a total failure.)

Gatchaman Crowds Insight is interesting because the first season sold extremely well, and the second one much worse. The first season was sold in a season box set at more normal prices, the second season in singles at otaku prices, though. Seems like the price elasticity was higher than they expected, a shame.[/url]
KH91

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Sympho domination. JoJo gonna JoJo. Go Overlord! You can do it Gate and PS! Our goddess Hestia shall overcome all odds!
Alabaster Spectrum

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Almighty Love Live strikes again. If I were thinking about competition for otaku money and picking the week of release for my title I would probably just want to find some way to avoid it if possible and put at least 10 days of buffer between it.
Fipse

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:24 pm Reply with quote
DLH112 wrote:

A lot of shows have extras like that. The last two Seasons of Symphogear did the same thing and did sold quite well on average. Season 3 will probably sell more then Season 2 (and the CD sales are insane anyway)
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:29 pm Reply with quote
I'm thrilled that Prison School is faring well at nearly 4,100 copies. Smile I didn't think it would perform as well as it did.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Ouch! After looking at the DVD page, I just realized that durarara! didn't even show up on this list... that's really sad. Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2