• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
SEA Requests and feedback

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:16 am Reply with quote
Let us know what you'd like to see on ANN South East Asia, what you think about the site, and how we can improve it.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:23 am Reply with quote
How many countries / regions does ANN-SEA cover?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
CG

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:37 pm Reply with quote
This is great! Tell me how I can help out. I'm based in Davao city in the Philippines, for your reference.

Which leads me to a particular request: please don't limit your coverage on the capitals of the Southeast Asian countries, include anime news from and pertinent to other urban centers in the region.
ravager

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Anime Festival Asia (SG) is coming up, probably the biggest con in the region. Hope there's some coverage.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:12 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
How many countries / regions does ANN-SEA cover?

Our biggest readership and the biggest communities are in:

The Philippines
Indonesia
Singapore
Malaysia

As it happens, these are also the countries with the most going on, so you'll see the most coverage of these countries.

However, if we get word of things happening in other South East Asian countries, we'll include it as well.

We're including:
Thailand
Vietnam
Brunei
Cambodia
Myanmar
Laos
Timore-Leste

We are also including Hong Kong, even though it technically isn't part of Southeast Asia.

We aren't including Taiwan. As you know, we do have future plans for Taiwan.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:18 am Reply with quote
CG wrote:
This is great! Tell me how I can help out. I'm based in Davao city in the Philippines, for your reference.

Number one thing you can do is let your friends know about us.
Number two is to send us tips.

Quote:
Which leads me to a particular request: please don't limit your coverage on the capitals of the Southeast Asian countries, include anime news from and pertinent to other urban centers in the region.

In terms of news coverage, we have no intent to limit our coverage to the capitals. If big enough, newsworthy things are happening anywhere in the Philippines or other countries, we'll cover them... as long as we find out about them.

In terms of event coverage, we have a very limited budget, we won't go to a lot of events. We may partner with other journalists, including amateur journalists that have a good reputation, in the region to cover events that we can't send our own staff to.

Personally I do want to check out at least one event in the Philippines sometime in the coming year, but I've made no particular plans yet. I don't even have any idea what event I would go to.

I also want to check out AFA:ID.

Keep in mind, I'm not a journalist anymore, so even if I go, it doesn't imply coverage of the event.

-t
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:19 am Reply with quote
ravager wrote:
Anime Festival Asia (SG) is coming up, probably the biggest con in the region. Hope there's some coverage.

Keep your eyes peeled Smile
CG

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:47 am Reply with quote
Quote:
In terms of event coverage, we have a very limited budget, we won't go to a lot of events. We may partner with other journalists, including amateur journalists that have a good reputation, in the region to cover events that we can't send our own staff to.

I do hope you accept contributions from amateur local writers, because I very much intend to help here by covering events. We have three small-scale cons annually, plus a few cosplay events here and there.

Quote:
Keep in mind, I'm not a journalist anymore, so even if I go, it doesn't imply coverage of the event.

You're very much welcome to the Philippines for just a visit. And most specially in Davao!
Dian Z

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:59 am Reply with quote
Some I can think of for now, I think I'd like to have SEA Answerman, which will be pretty helpful to obtain some rarely known information on the manga/anime industry in SEA. There could also be some column talking about manga/anime trivia which is related to SEA regions, like "Anime/manga Set in SEA Countries" or "SEA-related Cameo in Anime/manga".
ravager

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:13 am Reply with quote
Dian Z wrote:
Some I can think of for now, I think I'd like to have SEA Answerman, which will be pretty helpful to obtain some rarely known information on the manga/anime industry in SEA. There could also be some column talking about manga/anime trivia which is related to SEA regions, like "Anime/manga Set in SEA Countries" or "SEA-related Cameo in Anime/manga".

Ooh definitely. Also censorship of anime and manga could be discussed - Malaysia has strict censorship (one of the strictest in the world, according to Wiki), and other SEA censorship boards are conservative too.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:22 pm Reply with quote
CG wrote:
I do hope you accept contributions from amateur local writers, because I very much intend to help here by covering events.

We will, but only amateurs who have a history (ex: their own blog) that they can show us, where we can see professional quality writing.

Quote:
You're very much welcome to the Philippines for just a visit. And most specially in Davao!
Thank you.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:27 pm Reply with quote
ravager wrote:
Also censorship of anime and manga could be discussed - Malaysia has strict censorship (one of the strictest in the world, according to Wiki), and other SEA censorship boards are conservative too.

We will cover this in the news if and when it comes to our attention. A very long time ago we ran a column called the Edit List in North America. I don't think we'd be doing that again for South East Asia... although if there's enough demand, we'd consider some sort of UGC edit list.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Dian Z wrote:

We want to focus on news first, then event reports, but I'll keep in mind the idea of SEA specific columns, specifically Answerman.

Finding someone who can do the SEA Answerman would be a challenge. To keep our current level of expertise, it would have to be someone who has been involved in the community for 10+ years and worked in the industry for at least 5 of those. Justin has been involved in anime fandom since the 90s, and has been working in the industry since 2002 or so...
barbie274

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:52 pm Reply with quote
You can have one/two person in one country covering the events, so your budget can be saved. Also Taiwan is a huge anime market which will be good if you can cover their convention news.

else have one/two writer who basically helps to write the report on the journalists (?) who covers the event. Journalist can make notes, photos and the writer help to make it better. In a way, also faster. Since an event might run 2-3 days, the journalist sends his current day notes and photos, writers help to report and a final check by journalist before published and we can have read coverage faster.

Else for a start, can tie with other forums to provide joint reports.
Feng Lengshun

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:49 am Reply with quote
First of all, this is cool, guys! I, as an anime, manga, and video game fan from Indonesia, truly appreciates this!

Now, if there is something I have been interested in as of late are the anime communities in various countries on various levels. For starter, here in Indonesia for example, we have Kaori Nusantara as our national anime hub (forum), then we have the various otaku communities (which can range from anime specific, gunpla, to even KanColle specific community as I recently became aware of its existence) of national and university level (specifically, how big they are, how many major universities have them... etc.), then up to the general public level (like, how much does manga and anime sells/airs in each country... how common they are, which series are popular etc.).

Overall, I am interested in the various situations of other countries for anime and Japanese stuffs - but mostly around South East Asia (although I will admit I am curious about China's too considering their relationship with Japan...). For the most part, it is quite hard to find out about since most of them communicates in their respective local/national languages which I do not understand, but with ANN SEA, I hope that I could see more about the situations of each country. I mean, hell, I only found out about the Touhou community in Malaysia when YouTube suggested watching a promotional video for a Touhou convention there - god knows how much I am missing about the other countries' anime/manga/game/otaku/Japanese interest communities.

Oh, on Indonesia, I suggest spreading the (amateur?) contributors a bit, thanks to our very large area and poor transportation facilities. I'd say, you'd want about two people in Jakarta, at least four in the entire Java island, two in Sumatra representing northern and southern Sumatra, and maybe one on the other islands (I'm not sure about Kalimantan, but on Sulawesi only the Northern and Southern areas are advanced enough to be calculated - but that's from experience living and traveling on the island from five years ago). The point is, Indonesia is big and travelling between islands are a bit hard, you'd want to try to spread out your network here more if you want a complete coverage. On the flip side, it shouldn't be too hard on the budget due to the generally favorable dollar-to-rupiah conversion rate and the purchasing power parity here.

In any case, good work and congratulations on the launching of ANN Southeast Asia, and I'm looking forward for more interesting news and articles from around the area!

Edit: Oh yeah, how about regional pricing for the subscriptions? Steam has been having quite some success with its regional pricing on Indonesia - although admittedly I don't have much data other around my university and on various Steam Wallet Code tradings on local forums (which is probably strongly influenced by the big DotA 2 community).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2