• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Studio Trigger Reveals New Kiznaiver Original TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kai99

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:14 am Reply with quote
*looks at blond kid*

"... Mikaela, is that you?"
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:29 am Reply with quote
Now, how about telling us how this title is supposed to be pronounced?
GiriOni

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:32 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Really not a fan of emotionless protagonists, be they male or female.

Depends for me. The VN Swan Song had a very well done 'emotionless' protagonist. Though anime rarely has good ones. The internal dialogue is probably the key bit that's hard to replicate in media like animation and live-action.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:36 am Reply with quote
Quote:
When one Kiznaiver is wounded, the system divides and transmits the wound among the other Kiznaivers.

This premise honestly sounds quite unique (I'm sure a sci-fi/fantasy series has already done this) and the designs so far look decent. Although, when I heard "Kizuna" and saw pretty boys I was thinking of something totally different.
Anyway, I'm glad Trigger is gonna do a male lead show this time though I hope this retains as much eccentric antics with its female characters like Kill la Kill.
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:26 am Reply with quote
From my MAL post:

I must admit, the character designs for the guys are fantastic! I'll wait for a PV before I decide whether to watch this though.

Though why announce it in PASH if it's going to be a mixed cast, 4 girls and 4 boys? Not to mention one of the girls has a crush on the main guy? I'm no fujoshi, but if you want to aim cute guys at girls, why add a female love interest? That ruins the ships.

Before you guys brick me, I'm a BIG fan of hetero romance. But I usually want shows aimed at girls to do well, and you have the dashing guys on the cover but if it's going to be love triangle with a girl, it might destroy the show's sales.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:03 am Reply with quote
Well it sounds good
doubleO7

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:27 am Reply with quote
phoenixalia wrote:
From my MAL post:

Though why announce it in PASH if it's going to be a mixed cast, 4 girls and 4 boys? Not to mention one of the girls has a crush on the main guy? I'm no fujoshi, but if you want to aim cute guys at girls, why add a female love interest? That ruins the ships.

Before you guys brick me, I'm a BIG fan of hetero romance. But I usually want shows aimed at girls to do well, and you have the dashing guys on the cover but if it's going to be love triangle with a girl, it might destroy the show's sales.

Y'know, that's kind of the point of Otome games, which are targeted at girls.

I think you're thinking about this too hard. Yes, there are a few female characters, but the 4 male leads are still bishonen, which are meant to appeal to female viewers.

You're insinuation that a PASH announcement = Fujoshi is kind of silly. While the magazine is targeted at women, it's still a general anime news magazine. They cover everything, though a quick look at their Twitter suggests their forte is anything with handsome guys, whether that be actual Fujoshi content, Otome, or even shonen series focusing on guys (Yowamushi Pedal) and other things that don't fit any of those molds but still feature hot guys (Psycho-Pass).

And this anime definitely sounds more like an Otome setup to me, in which case a lack of a female love interest would've been surprising, not the other way around. Though it remains to be seen if she'll be a blank-slate self-insert character or not.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:32 am Reply with quote
Ever since Kill la Kill, Trigger's been making a lot of misses for me (except for LWA2, which was pretty good), and this one unfortunately is looking to be another miss. I'm not caring for the generic character designs/art style, and the concept sounds kind of gimmicky. I'll hold judgement for now, but I'm not all that enthusiastic for this.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:49 am Reply with quote
GiriOni wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
Really not a fan of emotionless protagonists, be they male or female.

Depends for me. The VN Swan Song had a very well done 'emotionless' protagonist. Though anime rarely has good ones. The internal dialogue is probably the key bit that's hard to replicate in media like animation and live-action.

I think the Persona 4 anime did a great job with it as well. Yu is definitely lacking in emotion early on, but he can be snarky which doesn't contrast that and as the series progresses he starts opening up more and showing more emotional range. If Kiznaiver goes that route of character development, I'm all for it, but if our lead just stays that way the whole show then he'll be hard to care about.

Still, at least the story sounds somewhat interesting. After hitting two home runs with KLK and LWA 1 (looking forward to when 2 becomes available on Trigger's shop) I hope the studio will not lose their way.
Rivailloli

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:49 am Reply with quote
The setting and the fact that they're mostly a male cast makes this look much more appealing to me than KLK. Pander to my fudanshi heart, Trigger, do it.

doubleO7 wrote:

And look at how horribly those anime adaptions for those otome games do on average. UtaPri and Hakouki being two of the very few exceptions.

doubleO7 wrote:

You're insinuation that a PASH announcement = Fujoshi is kind of silly.

That's... Obviously not what she was saying. She was saying that if you just have hot guys and leave things ambiguous and leave out obvious female love interests you'll reach more appeal with female otaku and fujoshi in general. She's saying that broader appeal = hopefully more sales.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Will watch. & when MC turns out to have a unique super awesome power linked to the injury sharing thing, a "traumatic" past that explains his emotional detachment & also finding a way to share his heart with no emotions girl while excitable or childhood friend girl try to get him to notice them, I'll stop.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Rivailloli wrote:
The setting and the fact that they're mostly a male cast makes this look much more appealing to me than KLK. Pander to my fudanshi heart, Trigger, do it.

I count 4 guys and 4 girls in the cast so it's pretty much balanced. Now level of importance each will make, that's up in the air.
KH91

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:39 pm Reply with quote
lol I had a feeling when I read Kiznaiver, the naive was part of it. Anyway, looks and sounds good enough for me to watch.
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Rivailloli wrote:

doubleO7 wrote:

And look at how horribly those anime adaptions for those otome games do on average. UtaPri and Hakouki being two of the very few exceptions.

doubleO7 wrote:

You're insinuation that a PASH announcement = Fujoshi is kind of silly.

That's... Obviously not what she was saying. She was saying that if you just have hot guys and leave things ambiguous and leave out obvious female love interests you'll reach more appeal with female otaku and fujoshi in general. She's saying that broader appeal = hopefully more sales.

Thank you. I never said Pash announcement always means fujoshi stuff.

I'd also just like to say, that in Japan at least, YowaPeda was supported by hardcore female fans, same with Psycho Pass. If not for them, there would have been no sequels.

Yowapeda wouldn't have gotten those sales if Onoda had a real female love interest(no, not the girl who became a side character in the few episodes. She's barely there now). It wouldn't be even half as popular if it didn't have the hardcore shipping fans who buy most of the BDs and merch.

MakishimaXKougami was one of the hottest pairings at that time too.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:37 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Looks cool! I'm excited already, definitely sounds interesting. I really like the concept of "kizuna" and I'm interested in seeing what they'll do with it. Character designs look pretty great too. So long as this doesn't end up being another Inferno Cop/Ninja Slayer, I'm on board.

Same here. The premise sounds great, and I'm a sucker for Miwa's dynamic character designs. Fingers crossed this is something special.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3