• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Studio Trigger Reveals New Kiznaiver Original TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:38 pm Reply with quote
I'll wait until they announce the production company behind it before I allow myself to get excited about it.

If it's one of the two "whose names should never be spoken", then forget it. Confused
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Rivailloli wrote:
doubleO7 wrote:

Y'know, that's kind of the point of Otome games, which are targeted at girls.
And look at how horribly those anime adaptions for those otome games do on average. UtaPri and Hakouki being two of the very few exceptions.

But reverse harem is nothing new outside of Otome games. Fushigi Yuugi, Fruits Basket, Ouran, and Hana Yori Dango were some good ones just to name a few.

Quote:
She was saying that if you just have hot guys and leave things ambiguous and leave out obvious female love interests you'll reach more appeal with female otaku and fujoshi in general. She's saying that broader appeal = hopefully more sales.

I doubt making it more yaoi/shounen ai is going to broaden the appeal. For one, it tends to make certain guys more uncomfy with watching it. But secondly hey girls do like straight romances too. I've had friends who personally felt 'icky' about yaoi and preferred reverse harem stuff. Personally I don't care, I enjoy yaoi and straight romance. But a lot of anime with straight romance has had huge appeal with women. (Just look at Inu Yasha & Escaflowne) I mean heck, back in the 90's we used to watch harem stuff like Tenchi! and Ah My Goddess because it was the only romance out there!
ChrissyC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Let`s do it!
7ThIsGod

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:44 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Rivailloli wrote:
The setting and the fact that they're mostly a male cast makes this look much more appealing to me than KLK. Pander to my fudanshi heart, Trigger, do it.

I count 4 guys and 4 girls in the cast so it's pretty much balanced. Now level of importance each will make, that's up in the air.

It's an ensemble cast drama so it's probably going to be Persona-ish and give everyone a character arc while MC goes around befriending everyone.
Rivailloli

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Lili-Hime wrote:

But reverse harem is nothing new outside of Otome games. Fushigi Yuugi, Fruits Basket, Ouran, and Hana Yori Dango were some good ones just to name a few.

It was not a matter of them being a new concept or not. It was a matter of their anime adaptions selling well that often or not. Otome games adaptions do not sell that well that often. "Good" is completely subjective as well.

Quote:

I doubt making it more yaoi/shounen ai is going to broaden the appeal. For one, it tends to make certain guys more uncomfy with watching it. But secondly hey girls do like straight romances too. I've had friends who personally felt 'icky' about yaoi and preferred reverse harem stuff. Personally I don't care, I enjoy yaoi and straight romance. But a lot of anime with straight romance has had huge appeal with women. (Just look at Inu Yasha & Escaflowne) I mean heck, back in the 90's we used to watch harem stuff like Tenchi! and Ah My Goddess because it was the only romance out there!

Uhhm, I never said making it more like a BL adaption would broaden the appeal. I said leaving room for interpretation would broaden the appeal, specifically with the different types of female otaku. It's kind of been demonstrated that works like that can sell well with the female market. As shown by stuff like Free!, Natsume, Oofuri, KNB, Project K, Yowamushi Pedal and quite a few others. Hell, UtaPri itself gets into it by playing up its BL teasing aspects while still retaining material for the otome fans. They have good crossover appeal and they do better on average than straight up romance/reverse harem works with the female market. Not talking about the male market here, most of them will ignore it simply based on the fact that it is targeting women even slightly.

I already said that a few did well in the past, but that in recent years many of them have sold poorly. Look at Ore Monogatari, Say I Love, Ao Haru Ride, Ookami Shoujo to Kuro Ouji, Hal, Amnesia, Arcana Famiglia, Hiiro no Kakera, Itazura no Kiss, Kaichou wa Maid-sama! etc. they all did horrible. Broadening the appeal is usually the better route to go.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:58 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if you can kill all the Kiznaivers, by completely annihilating one of them in one attack. Of course if there are hundreds of Kiznaivers, then it would be problematic. Perhaps the villains will use this weakness.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Sharing your wounds with other people? So the show is about literally feeling other people's pain.
Alabaster Spectrum

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
Ever since Kill la Kill, Trigger's been making a lot of misses for me (except for LWA2, which was pretty good), and this one unfortunately is looking to be another miss. I'm not caring for the generic character designs/art style, and the concept sounds kind of gimmicky. I'll hold judgement for now, but I'm not all that enthusiastic for this.

I honestly blame pairing up with Aniplex myself. Almost every time they run an original regardless of studio or team and their resume it just ends up being a clear miss for me. Commercial success, but flat out critical flops are their M.O ever since Guilty Crown IMO. There involvement enough is more then sufficient to completely turn me off this one.

LWA+2 is something trigger made on their own for Anime Mirai as an animators training project with only their own input which is probably why it feels so different from something like KLK which is made largely for commercial purposes.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:29 am Reply with quote
If there's one thing I learned from watching studio Trigger shows its to not judge the show based off other people's opinions of it. If I had listened to the negative comments on Ninja Slayer or Kill La Kill I never would have watched and I love Ninja Slayer and Kill La Kill was my favorite Anime of 2014. So when this show comes out ignore all the Trigger hatters and watch it and see for yourself how it is and if you don't like it just don't watch and don't troll on other people's fun. Smile
Razor/Edge

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:56 am Reply with quote
That actually sounds like an interesting idea for a plot...

...too bad it'll be ruined by Trigger's typical over-the-top attempts at "humor". Never been a fan of any their works.

But knows. They may surprise me with this one. I highly doubt it, but who knows.
animelytical

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:03 pm Reply with quote
This sounds bad. The characters at least. Hopefully I am proven wrong. The concept seems okay. As someone who loves both KLK and LWA (LWA more) as well as Inferno Cop and what I've seen of Ninja Slayer, I'm apprehensive about the delivery of a concept like this.
smatster

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:20 am Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
I'll wait until they announce the production company behind it before I allow myself to get excited about it.

If it's one of the two "whose names should never be spoken", then forget it. Confused

The Production Company behind it is Studio Trigger. They will be working with Okada Mari and people from past productions are doing animation design and directing (the parts that matter).

check this page: person#24059

If you liked how 'Kimi no Iru Machi (OAV)' or 'Saint Seiya: Legend of Sanctuary (movie)' were adapted or you can look at episodes he directed since he is putting it together.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3