• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Psychiatrist Suggests Link Between Sexual Offenses and Moe Characters

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mikeski

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Dang it, people, stop letting the complete absence of witches get in the way of a good witch hunt! Someone has to suffer for this woman's delusions!

Google: the first link is about her organizing a march against "national security legislation". She's also been on TV pontificating about ISIL/ISIS and the Fukushima reactor accident. So it seems that getting fame in 15-minute chunks is pretty much her whole job. You can just use the all-purpose headline "Professional ****-stirrer stirs ****". I doubt anyone in Japan expects "research" out of her.

(Or I could be mean and point out that, being 56 years old, she's probably just jealous of all the cuteness. And sharing a name with Japan's version of Barbie--Licca-chan's full name is Rika Kayama--probably doesn't help.)
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Uhh... hmm. While I get where she's coming from, I would say it's less that there's a LINK between them and more that both of them are related to the kind of culture. I mean, there is a link but it's not so direct. Moe designs are definitely made for the purpose of pedophilia, and appealing to pedophiles, and you know what pedophiles do.

Like, it's not "looking at moe girls makes one sexually assault", which is what she seems to be thinking about, its more that both of these things are interwoven products of a society that excuses that kind of thing. It's not a A -> B, its more like they are both parts of the industry.

She's on the right track but I think she needs to think about this a little more before coming to a conclusion. To everyone whining about a single woman not liking creepy character design: ask yourselves why you're upset.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I forgot to mention. Although I think she should do research on this too, I don't think there was ever any pretense that she did. All the quotes seem to me to just be her pondering her culture, it doesn't look like it was supposed to be a research study in the first place. Maybe she will do a real study later, I don't know. But it's only supposed to be an idea. So there's no need to act as though this is some kind of "failure to research", as that was never the intention.

Last edited by Arale Kurashiki on Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Although it's never good to make an argument without evidence to back your claims, it did make me think for a moment about changing cultural attitudes in Japan regarding the cultural attractiveness of not just 2-dimensional characters, but also actual 3-dimensional real children.

In particular, I'm talking about the elementary school child idol groups that seem to have gained popularity in recent years. Of course, without substantial research you can't really make any sort of connection between moe and child idol groups, but it would at least suggest that Japan has a growing demographic that finds little children attractive (either 2d or real). As a cultural trend I generally find both to be fairly disturbing, and I also feel uneasy about where it might lead Japan in the future.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:12 pm Reply with quote
I must've missed it, but where did she provide evidence for this supposed "link"? I'm sure she's heard of evidence before, as I think you need some sort of degree to be called a "psychiatrist", which would imply that she's at least vaguely familiar with the Scientific Method.

At any rate, these kinds of articles are always good for a chuckle... and nothing else.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Arale Kurashiki wrote:
EDIT: Oh yeah, I forgot to mention. Although I think she should do research on this too, I don't think there was ever any pretense that she did. All the quotes seem to me to just be her pondering her culture, it doesn't look like it was supposed to be a research study in the first place. Maybe she will do a real study later, I don't know. But it's only supposed to be an idea. So there's no need to act as though this is some kind of "failure to research", as that was never the intention.

Sure, the actual quotes from her are clearly just her throwing out ideas with absolutely nothing supporting them. However, at least to me, when I hear a scientist or doctor 'suggest' things, those suggestions are pretty much always grounded in facts. Maybe the sources of their facts are flawed, but at least they are usually there. This is basically just exploiting the fact that her degree makes her baseless claims more believable. Unless you think we'd be hearing about it if a person with a BA in journalism said it?
Rederoin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Arale Kurashiki wrote:
. Moe designs are definitely made for the purpose of pedophilia, and appealing to pedophiles, and you know what pedophiles do.

wiki wrote:

Pedophilia or paedophilia is a psychiatric disorder in which an adult or older adolescent experiences a primary or exclusive sexual attraction to prepubescent children, generally age 11 years or younger

Quote:

These include the presence of sexually arousing fantasies, behaviors or urges that involve some kind of sexual activity with a prepubescent child (with the diagnostic criteria for the disorder extending the cut-off point for prepubescence to age 13) for six months or more, or that the subject has acted on these urges or suffers from distress as a result of having these feelings

I think you need to look up what 'moe' acteally means.
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Well, moe doesn't usually have an agreed-upon definition, as it's just slang, after all. However, moe characters are deliberately designed to appear cute, young, innocent, endearing, huggable, all characteristics held also by general perception of young girls. TV Tropes (I know, not a "source" by any means, but we all know there's a lot of us weebs on it editing these pages, right?) mentions "the classical Moe character is highly associated with innocence, shyness, humility, submission, helplessness..." Everything is about making the girl young, weak and submissive.

We've all seen anime, we all know who Japan's media culture likes to sexualize. Let's not pretend we don't see it.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Arale Kurashiki wrote:
Well, moe doesn't usually have an agreed-upon definition, as it's just slang, after all. However, moe characters are deliberately designed to appear cute, young, innocent, endearing, huggable, all characteristics held also by general perception of young girls. TV Tropes (I know, not a "source" by any means, but we all know there's a lot of us weebs on it editing these pages, right?) mentions "the classical Moe character is highly associated with innocence, shyness, humility, submission, helplessness..." Everything is about making the girl young, weak and submissive.

We've all seen anime, we all know who Japan's media culture likes to sexualize. Let's not pretend we don't see it.

I'd love to pedo defintion of the DSM-IV again, but it'd be pointless with you.
The sexual fantasies and it causing distress are a huge part of it(for non-offenders).
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Arale Kurashiki wrote:

"Somehow, when I look at her, I feel like I can't leave her alone. I feel like I have to protect her!"
— Chiri Kitsu, Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei

The above is the quote from the Moe entry on TV Tropes. Note what it says: the point is to make the male (usually) feel the urge to protect the moe character. Even if someone gets turned on by moe characters, that is *not* the point of creating a moe character.

I don't particularly like moe characters per se, but it's pretty clear what the intent behind them is, and just as clear that there are people who will subvert that intent for their own... ah, enjoyment.
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Well, surely you can see how japanese media likes to twist "protect", right? Look at all the incest shows. Well, the some incest shows that manage to be moderately successful. Point is, being a big brother and "protecting" your imouto ends up, uhh... meaning something else a lot!

Hmm, well, do understand that I'm not advocating that all cute girls in anime are made for bad reasons. I love cute girls! But it's still a prevalent problem over there, see the idol industry and how its girls are supposed to be innocent as well, promoting a real-life moe sort of thing.

I think there's a bit of "wait and see" when it comes to this. I wonder if things will get better, or if they'll get worse to the point of nobody being able to deny it anymore. Until then, I'll quite be enjoying the few works that come along every once in a while that critique society, I guess.
Darth Sidious

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Once more the Moe will rule the galaxy.....and.....we shall have peace. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Rederoin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Arale Kurashiki wrote:
Well, surely you can see how japanese media likes to twist "protect", right? Look at all the incest shows. Well, the some incest shows that manage to be moderately successful. Point is, being a big brother and "protecting" your imouto ends up, uhh... meaning something else a lot!

Hmm, well, do understand that I'm not advocating that all cute girls in anime are made for bad reasons. I love cute girls! But it's still a prevalent problem over there, see the idol industry and how its girls are supposed to be innocent as well, promoting a real-life moe sort of thing.

I think there's a bit of "wait and see" when it comes to this. I wonder if things will get better, or if they'll get worse to the point of nobody being able to deny it anymore. Until then, I'll quite be enjoying the few works that come along every once in a while that critique society, I guess.

If you're not going to accept the meaning of moe in the context of what this lady said, then this whole discussion has no meaning.

P.s
The idol industry has nothing to do with this.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Taken for what it obviously is, a simple reflection rather than any sort of hard, definitive, scientifically backed claim, I find it tough to disagree with a lot of what she is saying. Of course I can't speak to whether the relationship is causal in any way. In truth it seems like this stuff is more a symptom (although that doesn't mean it can't also still reinforce one's perceptions). But in any case, the excess of sexually charged images of young girls is definitely creepy and at least indicative of a lot of seriously unhealthy mindsets. I mean, anime fans love to insist upon this sweeping claim that "It's just fantasy so it's definitely beyond any and all criticism" but that's really rather silly. Not all fantasies are created equally. It really depends on what exactly is being fantasized about. Fantasy can be perfectly harmless. Hell, even a lot of fantasies that fall into the category of "things you shouldn't actually do in real life" can still be healthy if they're at least in the ballpark of what it's normal and healthy to desire. But you just shouldn't be attracted to kids. Healthy, functional people don't have that "fantasy" or anything close to it. (Same goes for rape/sexual assault fantasies). And yeah, that doesn't automatically mean you're gonna go out and hurt a real kid or anything. But it's certainly cause for concern if you're even inclined toward doing so. You shouldn't have to not act on that kind of desire. You shouldn't have it in the first place.
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Darth Sidious wrote:
Once more the Moe will rule the galaxy.....and.....we shall have peace. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Now witness the firepower of this FULLY ARMED and OPERATIONAL fandom!
jymmy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:21 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
How retarded of a "psychiatrist" do you have to be to come to that conclusion.

DmonHiro, this sort of comment is just not okay. You don't use the word "of" with how-adjective constructions. Yes, it's "how much of a problem", because "much" is special, but it's "how big a problem" if you're going to use a regular adjective.

Your rhetorical question should be "How retarded a "psychiatrist" do you have to be to come to that conclusion."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7