• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Valkyrie Drive -Mermaid- (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Souther

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Yuri Fan wrote:
What is this? Attack on TITan? Amirite?

I'll show myself out...

I'm disappointed for not coming up with that joke myself. Sad

Probably the most hilarious episode. Plenty of funny moments, but my faves were Charlotte getting slapped by Nimi's giant nipple+Noe swan diving right into Nimi's giant rack. Mei and Kasumi are easily the best characters in the show right now.
Shikiari

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:16 pm Reply with quote
So the Gov's a girl then... not entirely unexpected.

I thought the episode was okay. Though however silly the show is, there's just no way Akira can make her very large bosom flat. What's that bra made of? Titanium Carbonite? Lets not even start with the crushing pressure on her lungs...

I suppose that's not really the whole underlining issue here, haha.
Souther

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Looking back at some of the comments about Akira being a girl in this show's spotlight section's making me laugh.

Anyway, I guess the reason they're on the island's because they're considered extremely dangerous and authorities want to keep them in check. Either that or they want to have a monopoly on them and have a future use for them as weapons. From Mirei's flashback, they've already used them as soldiers.

Akira's mum knows about the island and has enough resources to make her daughter an artificial Extar. Very fishy. Was quite impressed with Akira knocking out several armed Liberators with just her barehands, though they were pretty much smalltime. And Charlotte continues to be an arse while Kasumi tries to do things fairly, as usual.

Shikiari wrote:

I thought the episode was okay. Though however silly the show is, there's just no way Akira can make her very large bosom flat. What's that bra made of? Titanium Carbonite? Lets not even start with the crushing pressure on her lungs...

I was dying when she undid her bindings, they're bigger than Torino's, it's absurd lol. Dat secret binding technique.

Edited for grammar.

Last edited by Souther on Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:42 am; edited 1 time in total
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Amazingly enough Episode 7 of this C grade anime actually had some interesting aspects of it. Not much but definitely better than its beginnings would have suggested.

Torino knows about Akira. And it would seem that Akira knew all about what was going on before she was sent to the island, sooner than any other inmate.

Yes there is no way that real boobs that were 1/3 the mass of the rest of the body could be that bound without killing the host.

Also Unexplained: I thought Akira had a infantile form as well? What's up with that?

All that crud aside what was most interesting is how the internal "debate" (such as it was) paralleled current politics. One side (Charlotte & Co) wants to pummel any opposition into either submission or obliteration (not caring which) and calls them "terrorists" to justify it. The other side is willing to fight but first wants to explore options so opposition doesn't have to resort to extremes such as possible terrorism.

What I am waiting for someone to point out is that if you want to convince outside observers you are safe for society, you would be much better of conducting yourself like Torino's commune than you would implementing and ruthlessly enforcing a totally despotic/totalitarian state. After all who would you want as a national neighbor? North Korea or Tahiti?

I really don't expect this anime to tackle any serious question. No production obsessing on obscenely sized mammary glands will do that but it would be sort of hilarious if it did.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:04 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Yes there is no way that real boobs that were 1/3 the mass of the rest of the body could be that bound without killing the host.

Lol, I realize they often move as if sentient, but they're just boobs, not parasytes.

While megaton mammaries aren't my thing, I've been watching this to see how silly it could get, and I'm surprised to find I kind of like the story. There's something appealing in the idea that lesbian sexuality is so powerful that it strikes fear into the hearts of the establishment. Smile I want them to break out and run wild, not be tamed into good little girls like Akira wants.

Plus Mirei is gorgeous. I like her character and several others a lot. I just wish she had a better partner than Mamori (really? Mamori?), or at least one that didn't sound and act like a ten year old. She's more annoying than the boobs flopping everywhere.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:45 am Reply with quote
Episode 7

Just reiterate that boobs is the worst aspect of the show, there is just no sense of having it be manageable. It kind of makes me think of that hypothetical flop from Shirobako, Boing-boing paradise. Really feels like no need to add huge ones to characters and give them sound effects.

But I liked this episode. Good to see that Akira is a nice guy girl. Her being made to sleep in the room surrounded by stalker like posters of her felt to me like one of the funniest parts of the series, and probably my favourite actual character in the show. Not much of a chance that I get to like reverse of a (boy who look girl). Actually now that I think about it, my previous favourite part was Mamori's dream of being with Akira on where the dumb running joke of her name felt well done.

Feel conflicted, I mean the series is not exactly great, but I had been kind of okay with the yuri main pairing despite everything, but Mamori and Akira just seem nicer. I mean Mamori being attracted to a supposed prince character only boy on the island was one thing, but her turning into a weapon upon seeing her without knowing it is the same person kind of skews it. But Mirei is also a nice girl who needs a friend.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:23 am Reply with quote
So much of this show is so stupid (don't even get me started on where Akira was hiding those ta-tas) that it's become mildly entertaining in the "let's see how much of a train wreck they can make it" sense; it's certainly not my cup of tea in the fan service realm. That it actually seems to believe that it is engaging in genuine characterizations and storytelling only makes it all the sadder.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:11 pm Reply with quote
I can't complain. I decided to give this show a shot and if it wasn't going to fly I was going to leave it high and dry. Well, that didn't happen. I've found it somewhat entertaining in it's own odd way. Sure it's ludicrous but so isn't most adult features. I just sit back and laugh.

The first 4 eps gave me some insight into a "whatever attempt of a story". Episode 6 was hilariously deliberate but sweet toward the end. But I could only call BS and laugh my a$$ off. Explain how GIGANTISM is a form of ARMS. Everyone else turns into STUFF YOU CAN USE. Swords, guns, mechanical and bizarre futuristic technology, but "growth". I guess one can say that they really don't know what's out there. Or we can say that it was the creators excuse to have that one episode of size "infinite" boobs. I know a fellow that can appreciate the giant girl fetish. This would be right up his alley.

Episode 6 threw me off. It just felt like it was tossed in there. The only thing redeeming was Mei Fong's identity and her special "cookie" patch. Absolutely PRICELESS.

After getting to episode 7, I felt right back on track. So many thoughts, and lady Akira has grabbed the hearts of many. Red headed, level headed, compassionate and attractive on both on the male and female side, has great assets and can KICK A$$. All while wearing a nice summer dress. But that "binding" how does it work?
To quote my close friend Matt Lunsford (La Blue Girl) when he drew his own rendition of the X-men's Madelyne Pryor aka 'The Goblin Queen', in her famous attire, "It's magic."

Observing the connection with Torino and the Akira (Miss Heelhold), I wouldn't be surprised if Lady Lady is part of this little charade as well. They're just handling things differently But we have to wait and see. Let's see what they can concluded in 5 more eps.

It is mentioned that the virus is was only mentioned to affect women which pretty much makes up the majority of the population on that island. There's the chance you'll be a "liberator" (which they'll explain) or an "exter". How did anyone just come to just accept the one guy who can use an exter and not question that?
I guess that would be something to think regarding Akira's mother's proposal. How this all ties in. I had already came to the conclusion of Akira's identity just on small clues, but I also came to expect that if I was wrong then making a artificial exter would have made sense.Which I had thought and I was right. But that's when I thought there was something underhanded going on, but now...we know that's not the case anymore. But what's coming down the pipes?

I'd been visiting some forums and there was talk of if there would be possible Akira X Tokonome shipping. Just because they synced up I doubt that's in the script and not meant to happen. I thing the only reason this happened is that both Mirei and Akira have a high sense of morality that fits in line with Tokonome's beliefs. Tokonome would only put herself (trust) in the hands of such individuals. Plus, it's about using her powers for the greater good. Kind of like Excaliber's sword. Only those worthy are fit to wield. Which now explains what transpired in ep 2. When you look back it makes more sense. Tokonome may be clueless to this but the inner "exter" knows. If Akira was underhanded person there would be no way he would have bee allowed near Tokonome. And that would have been a completely different show. Now that we've seen exter's who can independently manipulate themselves into "Arms mode" using whatever stimuli, the question I wondered is what makes one an exter and the other a liberator? What is the sole purpose of a liberator? Let's see if they give some explanation. But I'm not going to expect too much. I know that many are watching it for the fanservice. So I already went in knowing. I've seen enough "hentai" and "ecchi" so this doesn't surprise me in the slightest. However there is a bit of plot that has grabbed my attention. So my gears are churning which means, I'm enjoying the show as a guilty pleasure. Who knows maybe I'll go back and finish Queen's Blade and see how that went. Never got past ep. 1.

I wonder if this will considered the first anime that has been allowed to air "soft core" on TV in Japan. Hmmm...

Well, looking forward to what 8 will bring. Which is right around the corner. Until then I'll be wishing folks a Happy Thanksgiving, enjoy the break and watch lots of fun anime. Surprised
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:47 am Reply with quote
Just thought that I would drop in on this for the second time this week to mention something that has been in my head about this show. That it is hard to get the ED out of it.

Super Ultra Hyper Miracle Romantic! Anime catgrin
Yeah I will make myself look a little foolish by saying this catchy song is my favourite thing about this show.
Kyun Kyun Kyu kyu Kyun!

I just started watching it on repeat, I think I am up to the 5th time.... 7th time, 8th time. Okay one was at double speed which became entertaining for another reason. I sometimes get into the weirdest things.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:32 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Just thought that I would drop in on this for the second time this week to mention something that has been in my head about this show. That it is hard to get the ED out of it.

I like the OP as well. Screaming "OBADORAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIVE" is pretty fun.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:09 am Reply with quote
I know I said earlier how Akira is a good person. But at the same time I have also pretty reliably liked Meifon. Not hugely important comment on the latest episode, but I just thought I might explain something I have been thinking from her money hungry personality, and her assets being the total other end of what it is like for the rest of the cast.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:41 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I have also pretty reliably liked Meifon.

She is the Han Solo to Charlotte's Darth Vader and Torino's rebel group.

Other than the name of the island, does anyone have any idea what Mermaids have to do with any of this?
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
So much of this show is so stupid (don't even get me started on where Akira was hiding those ta-tas) that it's become mildly entertaining in the "let's see how much of a train wreck they can make it" sense; it's certainly not my cup of tea in the fan service realm. That it actually seems to believe that it is engaging in genuine characterizations and storytelling only makes it all the sadder.

I feel much the same. The show episode in and episode out is just so ridiculous the only real driving point should be to see just how udderly ridiculous they can go with the boobs. They should refrain from any real character development as it just doesn't fit. I know you've said it before Key but I think High School DxD is one of the few shows in recent years that managed to mix high amounts of fan service with a plot and good characters without the showing being a hodge podge that seems out of place. Sister New Devil does an ok job of it, but not great. Same goes for Asterisk War. Triage X and now Valkyrie Drive here both just fail in that aspect for me. They're so over the top with the fanservice (Valkyrie taking the cake) that any real character development seems out of place and just does not work. Just keep it light and simple QB and focus on the T&A cause it's obvious that is what the selling point is.

That being said the giant nipple slap was pretty funny.

HaruhiToy wrote:

Other than the name of the island, does anyone have any idea what Mermaids have to do with any of this?

Well the word mermaid is a compound of the Old English mere (sea), and maid (a girl or young woman). So you have the island....and then you have...ummmm....young women....who...umm...have big boobs that flop around....so....

Yea I got nothing. Embarassed
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:02 pm Reply with quote
I agree in the sense that they're going to let the plot get in the way of the PLOT. They should have just focused more energy into working in even more nipslips and creative ways to get characters topless, no one needs an unimportant background evil organization in this kind of anime. That said, Kaneko put his all into giving every character unique breast, nipple, and areolae designs, probably the most varied I've ever seen in anime or h-anime.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:06 pm Reply with quote
I don't find the plot all that terrible. I'd much rather have plot + PLOT than whatever that giantess episode was trying to accomplish, for instance.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6