• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Attack on Titan: Junior High

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:56 pm Reply with quote
When Reiner was making the banana and candy apple kiss, I actually laughed out loud. As to the spoilers, I already was unwittingly spoiled after reading the wikipedia entries for the relevant characters.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:14 pm Reply with quote
So basically if you've only seen the anime it's best to drop this show right now?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:02 pm Reply with quote
^That's what I was wondering (haven't watched ep 9 yet). The irony is that, so far, I wouldn't consider myself spoiled if people didn't point out what the spoilers are spoiler[(like last week's ghost girl)]. Confused I'd just write it off as a joke I didn't get, since there are plenty of those.

But if they're going to start dropping obvious spoilers now, I'm hesitant to continue.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
So basically if you've only seen the anime it's best to drop this show right now?

yes probably, prev episode spiler was pretty senseless but this one is almost blatant.
secondkas

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Manga readers might think that some elements are spoilers because they could deduce them in hindsight but as an anime-only follower, I wouldn't have any idea unless someone tells me to focus on this or that. I'm only paying attention to the story and taking it for what it is: a goofball comedy. If I read too much into things maybe I'll get something but they're simply good guesses until others confirm. If the new season of the original one comes up I'll probably just go, "Oh, so that's what it meant!" For now I can enjoy the series as is and take the episodes in stride.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:26 pm Reply with quote
yeah, before episode 9 I don't think most poeple coudl even have guessed what the spoilers were, much less their meaning, at best you could use the extra info to theorize; episode 09 is the one that crossed the line, though you can still pay little atention and miss it, but now the spoiler is pretty much there.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:36 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I feel spoiled by the previous episode. I even once yelled at my brother quite loudly when he started playing a video for me that said it was about pretty much this exact thing. It did not even feel like this episode was hiding that it referenced something, which it totally should not do as part of the animated portion of the franchise.
secondkas

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:22 am Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
yeah, before episode 9 I don't think most poeple coudl even have guessed what the spoilers were, much less their meaning, at best you could use the extra info to theorize; episode 09 is the one that crossed the line, though you can still pay little atention and miss it, but now the spoiler is pretty much there.

Oh? Then I'm now curious at how "pretty much there" you say it is. Are you telling me that in the upcoming chapters of the original spoiler[the Survey Corps will take a break, go to a festival, and Berthold will try to confess his feelings to Annie, who--when the first season ended--is in suspended animation?] This isn't rhetorical, please feel free to confirm this (I put in spoiler tags in case you do-- in which case, Wow! What a huge tone shift!) If the actuality is nothing close to that then I think I'll be fine with my blissful ignorance.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:26 am Reply with quote
secondkas wrote:
Manga readers might think that some elements are spoilers because they could deduce them in hindsight but as an anime-only follower, I wouldn't have any idea unless someone tells me to focus on this or that. I'm only paying attention to the story and taking it for what it is: a goofball comedy.

This is pretty much my take on things, too. It probably helps that I'm not particularly bothered by spoilers.
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:21 am Reply with quote
Quote:
"By now, if you've seen Attack on Titan but aren't manga current, you'll be thoroughly spoiled for upcoming events by this show."

Thanks for the fair warning, I'll stop w/ episode 8. I haven't been finding it too entertaining anyway, so this is good enough excuse to drop it as any.
Brakus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:33 am Reply with quote
I appreciated the fair warning since I am indeed current with the manga, but really, there's not too much that can be spoiled unless someone unscrupulously points it out for you. I know a certain line of spoiler[Ymir's] struck me as extremely funny considering recent events in the manga.

Quite honestly, if you've been holding off on reading the manga because you've only seen the anime, you really are missing out. The reason I sought out the manga is because I wanted to know more and find out what happens after the anime ended. I knew going in that this was an ongoing series and that they wouldn't self-contain the first season (i.e. make a new ending for the anime only). Although I am manga-current, I can't wait to see some of those scenarios get animated in the new season next year.

I have appreciated the slight nods to the fandom, both anime-only fans and manga-current fans. It made me smirk giddily when I saw who was spoiler[the owner of the shooting gallery], and my shipping feels definitely were tested this week spoiler[(as a proud ReiBert shipper myself)].
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:06 pm Reply with quote
reiner is the most off character possible one, canonically he is supossed to be the most popular guy of all the new recruits (at least I dont't rememebr the exact phrasing isayama used) adn also homosexual.

Quote:
Oh? Then I'm now curious at how "pretty much there" you say it is. Are you telling me that in the upcoming chapters of the original spoiler[the Survey Corps will take a break, go to a festival, and Berthold will try to confess his feelings to Annie, who--when the first season ended--is in suspended animation?] This isn't rhetorical, please feel free to confirm this (I put in spoiler tags in case you do-- in which case, Wow! What a huge tone shift!) If the actuality is nothing close to that then I think I'll be fine with my blissful ignorance.

thanks for being offensvie with that tangent, so I will tell you what the spoiler is since you seem to think that it will be all the events and not an isolaet event as logic dictates.spoiler[the titan masks point out who is a certain titan, annie don't her oonna kyoujin mask and berthold his colossal titan one]
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:08 pm Reply with quote
That image is killing me. Now do I have to watch this show now?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:26 pm Reply with quote
^ Me too. So I thought I'd check the review to see if this episode had manga spoilers in it too, but even the reviews aren't safe now, so I'm steering clear of the whole thing now.
sim0n2170

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:40 am Reply with quote
Isabel and Farlan makes a cameo appearance this episode Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4