• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:06 pm Reply with quote
themuu034 wrote:
What resources did they have that would match the Dainsleif and Rustal's media control? Remember McGillis and Tekkadan were up against three Seven Stars fleets and better leader ship under Rustal as Rustal was able to infiltrate McGillis' ranks which gave him the green light to retaliate with the Dansleif. Also the Gundams aren't army killers as shown when Shino was left wide open after missing his shot. Without Ships or allies, McGillis and Tekkadan's only shot to beat Rustal was the battle in episode 45.

Rustal had double their force, but the only thing that really mattered was that he had an actual plan versus Choco who just expected everyone to bow before Bael. I wasn't counting Shino as he isn't really an ace. Mika and to a lesser extent Guts did just crush rather large numbers. Still even aside from Mika and Guts, in general it has been shown Tekkadan is worth massively more than regular soldiers. In fact, before the Dainsleif stunt, they were kind of winning. The deciding factor was never resources.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:33 am Reply with quote
You have to let the evil rebels win a bit to show they could still break out and be dangerous!

Overall, IBO was pretty great. It isn't my favorite, but nowhere near the bottom. It also gives us a whole new angle to the 'war is bad' with Tekkadan's perspective.

They find that many soldiers in their units form communal groups and cover for each other. When they leave the military they are lost and on their own for everything. This leads to many of them not being able to integrate well. So "Tekkadan as Family" is commenting a lot even on our own modern Armies. In the currently-fighting Syria a reporter asked why some of the rebels were still able to fight for so long. I believe they responded that apart from the fighting, they had everything else they could need and were happy.

Gundam tends to assume that most characters can find a new purpose after the fighting. That beyond the fighting they all want peace. Could many of us envision ourselves at our happiest in a prolonged combat situation like those of Tekkadan, veterans of foreign wars, or rebels that exist in our own time?

IBO is a challenge to values Gundam has often brought us up on, and gives us a new lens to view intelligently told war stories.
Kreion

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:54 am Reply with quote
Souther wrote:
Rustal's decisions make sense IMO. He's smart enough to know, or learn from his experiences over the course of the show that poverty, poor conditions, etc. gave birth to people and groups like McGillis, Human Debris and Tekkadan respectively, things that proved to be nuisances to Gjallarhorn for a time. Maybe Kudelia discussed that very issue with him and negotiated. Plus he likes to keep order. Even if it means ceding some power, improving things and keeping the peace would help quell further rebellions. Rustal's always been a scratch-my-back-I-scratch-yours kind of guy too.

That's true, he is smart enough to do the things you said...but his personality doesn't show that he would do them. He's, as I said, too out and out destructive and fond of the scorched earth policy. It'd be like, at the end of Code Geass, the Emperor saying "why yes, I guess maybe we should rethink the numbers system". Both characters are smart enough to know that there are always going to be malcontents, but Mars has just has its chance for freedom poisoned by loss. Hell, the smarter move would be to install a proxy government and control it that way if you are worried about Mars. Handing over power to someone you 100% know wants you out of the picture like Kuudelia is foolish, even if you think you can control them.

Also Rustal was always a symbol of how corrupt Ghallerhorn was - he just put down the largest rebellion to happen in a while. His power is currently undisputed and would remain that way for a while...so no, I don't think it makes sense given his character that Rustal does the things he does.

As I said in my post, maybe if the media had information on him, or we saw significant public/political pressure on him for his actions. Hell, even if we had seen Kuudelia do...anything. For such an important character we really don't see her do much in the second season, instead we get lots of time with characters who don't really go anywhere and get killed off.

Despite all this I still enjoyed IBO a lot...but no whenever I think of the show my thoughts are going to be soured by this knowledge.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:54 am Reply with quote
^I think you are putting a personality on Rustal that he doesn't have. He never struck me as someone obsessed with power, control and destruction. He had no problem sharing power with the others under the Seven Stars system, aside from McGillis who wanted to take control of everything himself. The Seven Stars system was untenable after the McGillis incident so a more democratic system was necessary, and on Mars, given her popularity, yielding some power to Kudelia was inevitable under such a system. She may want him out of the picture but he knows she won't kill him and just as her popularity means he can't remove her politically, Gjallarhorn and his new found popularity and legitimacy mean that they and he can't be removed politically, so she isn't a threat. Repression ultimately leads to rebellion and what he wanted was order not control so yielding some power in exchange for order seems not only correct but in line with his priorities. He did want to destroy Tekkadan completely but not because he is obsessed with destroying his enemies (ruthless though he could be), but for a particular purpose, namely to show Gjallarhorn ain't nothing to f--k with. Once Tekkadan was no more, both as a military and political threat, he had no issue with the remaining members.
themuu034

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:17 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
^I think you are putting a personality on Rustal that he doesn't have. He never struck me as someone obsessed with power, control and destruction. He had no problem sharing power with the others under the Seven Stars system, aside from McGillis who wanted to take control of everything himself. The Seven Stars system was untenable after the McGillis incident so a more democratic system was necessary, and on Mars, given her popularity, yielding some power to Kudelia was inevitable under such a system. She may want him out of the picture but he knows she won't kill him and just as her popularity means he can't remove her politically, Gjallarhorn and his new found popularity and legitimacy mean that they and he can't be removed politically, so she isn't a threat. Repression ultimately leads to rebellion and what he wanted was order not control so yielding some power in exchange for order seems not only correct but in line with his priorities. He did want to destroy Tekkadan completely but not because he is obsessed with destroying his enemies (ruthless though he could be), but for a particular purpose, namely to show Gjallarhorn ain't nothing to f--k with. Once Tekkadan was no more, both as a military and political threat, he had no issue with the remaining members.

The problem with Rustal doing that stems from the fact that there isn't a whole lot of information given to the audience of his motives beyond stopping McGillis. The Dors incident back in S1 and the War with no Name earlier in S2 just shows that he wanted to maintain the Status quo and undermine McGillis when the later started making waves. As a results when Rustal decides to share power and work to abolish the Human debris, its comes off as sudden as we have no indication that this was Rustal's intention or if he even agreed with McGillis' ideas for reform to begin with. So while Rustal getting rid of the Seven Stars, allowing Martian Independence(ironically making Kudelia the Sovereign of Mars), and Abolishing Human Debris make sense from the angle that Rustal just wants to prevent another McGillis and Tekkadan from appearing, there isn't an explanation given for why Rustal would do it given that he has a clean victory and still has all the power by the end of the series.

Sure Rustal isn't evil but he is by no means a good person. Even if his action led to a positive outcome, there isn't much reason given that he had good intentions given his role in the series.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:30 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
He did want to destroy Tekkadan completely but not because he is obsessed with destroying his enemies (ruthless though he could be), but for a particular purpose, namely to show Gjallarhorn ain't nothing to f--k with.

Tekkadan and Kudelia screwed with Gjallarhorn for all of season 1......didn't really reign them in there.

LightningZangetsu27 wrote:
this is a 10/10 ending compared to Gundam 00

The show or the movie follow up Razz
#alfrescoCR

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:31 am Reply with quote
Atleast Mika didn't die Virgin unlike akihiro. Poor aki. I think we should really check the BD version , probably SUNRISE inserted the scenes where atra and mika did it. They usually do that, sometimes.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:12 pm Reply with quote
#alfrescoCR wrote:
Atleast Mika didn't die Virgin unlike akihiro. Poor aki.

Or Orga, Biscuit, Shino, or Hush.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 47 of 47