• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:20 am Reply with quote
I'm also waiting for more gundam battles. the ones so far have been extremely short lived and haven't been all the impressive compared to past series. granted it's showing a more realistic version where the gundam isn't some super powered machine that can take on an entire enemy fleet solo but most people watch gundam series to see giant robots fighting. and in 9 episodes there have been only 3 fights, which were somewhat meh all things considered.

I think the aldnoah zero kind of spoiled me in terms of awesome mech fights. it had some amazing fight scenes and the final battle of both the first and second season were amazing.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:39 pm Reply with quote
I think the fight are rather well done, it help quite a bit that there not 3D and there generally better than older gundam since they don't rely almost entirely on re using the same frame over and over again.

But yes, there aren't enough fight and the plot spend a bit too much time on the character, it feel like all there evolution happens multiple time in a row which makes it a bit redundant, this episode could have been half the length and I don't think anything would really have been lost, anybody really care what happens to the little kid? I'm hoping the show is just front charged on plot and exposition and will get more active later one.

I still rate it very high, but most likely because I really like the main characters, mech show with non whining main character are so rare.

Last edited by meiam on Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:56 pm Reply with quote
IBO plot pacing is horrible, way too slow Mad
I watched so many slow paced anime and most of them get better at episode 03-05.

IBO is currently at episode 09 and yet no much excitement, like oath contract ceremony take the damn 24 minutes away and wasted.
They should just make it done in 10 minutes. The characters development however getting better but damn why should they focus on minor one? Are we gonna see every single character development in Tekkadan?

If I going to rate this anime (so far), I will give it B+/B
It is not bad but it is not good either.
Slow pacing plot works better in written media like novel or manga.
Zetabag

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:53 pm Reply with quote
I hope I'm not the only one enjoying the way IBO was been progressing as of late.

While I agree the plot hasn't advanced much I can't say it bothers me since truth is most Gundam TV series' plots move at a very slow pace. Generally speaking your lucky if something significant happens plot wise before the 10th episode and some like Turn A Gundam take almost 20 episodes for the plot to get exciting. Now granted those series generally have 50 episodes to work with so it would be nice to see something happen with IBO's plot by episode 12. Though if IBO keeps up the quality with its characters I actually wouldn't mind if the series decided to be primarily character driven.

Anyway this was a great character driven episode and easily the best of the non-action episodes. Personally I disagree with those who say this episode could have been cut in half with nothing lost. Most of this episode is focused on Kudelia and Orga and none of their moments come off as insignificant. Then you have light hearted moments like the bar scene which is important in the long run. Scenes like this help make the characters more endearing and believable and so far we haven't really seen the members of Tekkadan act in such a light heated way. It makes them seem more and more like family and not just simply comrade in arms.

The more IBO progresses the more I become impressed with the handling of its characters especially given the size of its character roster.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:52 am Reply with quote
Zetabag wrote:
I hope I'm not the only one enjoying the way IBO was been progressing as of late.

Definitely not. I've liked the show since it started, but this recent arc has made if my favorite new series, only behind Noragami for currently airing shows. I loved the last 2 episodes and what they've done with Orga especially, and I can't wait to see where they go from here.

On the topic of the fights, I'm actually thankful they've been rather conservative with them so far. Much as I liked 00, the constant action setpieces meant the fights eventually lost their impact. IBO seems to be trying its hardest to make sure when 2 mechs smash into one another, it feels like an important and dangerous clash, and I'm very much appreciating the approach.
Nyren

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:22 am Reply with quote
This series is giving me way too many heart attacks.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see I'm not the only one who thought Akihiro was finished when 'Orphan tears" started playing. This series is fast approaching one of my favorite Gundam shows. Its just hitting so nicely with the character writing.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:09 pm Reply with quote
I wish Biscuit was still tweeting his "soon to be dead, but not dead yet" thoughts. He must feel like he's got company now.
notrogersmith

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
While our characters struggled with feelings of trust, I started feeling quite a bit of distrust for the show, which decided to throw out a ton of death flags for various characters.

Well, that could put a whole new meaning to "Raise your flag" Shocked.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Raise your death flag! Shout it with all your voice! With every line you speak! With every backstory that you tell!
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:16 am Reply with quote
Glad to see I wasn't the only one who saw all those flags. It was genuinely surprising to have Mikazuki pop up a second before Akihiro or Takaki (or both) were killed. The fight isn't over yet of course, but maybe they'll survive the common death flag trope that was raised this episode.
It'd be nice to see the series buck the usual tropes that long time fans of the genre may be used to.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:20 am Reply with quote
yep, the moment someone starts watching a video of their family, or talking about how their family is depending on them and how much they want to see them, or decides to take a newbies in an unarmed craft out on a patrol, there were enough death flags to have a parade.

I really was surprised no one died (yet, we still have next episode). I was glad that it did not play to the typical stereotype of killing off person A once they finished reminiscing.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:51 pm Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
I was glad that it did not play to the typical stereotype of killing off person A once they finished reminiscing.

Kuroko's Basketball had an assistant coach with the most lethal death trigger I've ever seen. His "As long as you're around..." dropped the head coach in his chair before he could even finish the sentence! I had to pause I was laughing so hard.

Uh-oh, I just reminisc---*cough, gak...*
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Anyone else get spoiled by the box art of the Gunpla kit for the mobile suit that attacked Akihiro this week? You could see it coming but spoilers are spoilers.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:31 pm Reply with quote
It's funny. This is almost turning into an anti-Gundam to me personally. I mean that positively in that they seem to be taking many elements from previous Gundam shows that I didn't like and improving them. Mainly having a very likable cast. I'm getting worried though. After the bloodbath in the early episodes I'm actually really worried that most of them aren't going to make it to the end. But I'll be there to see it!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 47