• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Mikazuki damage don't really do anything for me because it seems like something that should be rather easy to fix, the limb clearly still work since he can still use them inside Barbados, heck it should be easy enough to make a fake barbatos computer and just have it connected to Mikazuki in permanence just to trick him into being able to use his limb.

This really makes me think he'll eventually gain them back and as such is almost certainly not the one who'll die (sorry Orga). Just seem like if they really wanted to make it hurt they'd just have him lose the limb instead.
dark13

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:18 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Mikazuki damage don't really do anything for me because it seems like something that should be rather easy to fix, the limb clearly still work since he can still use them inside Barbados, heck it should be easy enough to make a fake barbatos computer and just have it connected to Mikazuki in permanence just to trick him into being able to use his limb.

This really makes me think he'll eventually gain them back and as such is almost certainly not the one who'll die (sorry Orga). Just seem like if they really wanted to make it hurt they'd just have him lose the limb instead.
There is no such system like that you forget this a 300 year old MS any date or memory that it had is gone so creating some fake Barbatos computer is impossible and did you forget Mika is still a human being ? the only thing he can do in life is fight now, he really can't do anything else walk he can't change his cloths ? nope any daily life stuff he wants to do is gone and that the sad thing.
Melchiorgk

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:14 am Reply with quote
Well, Atra used to work at a strip-club (which I honestly thought was a bordello on first watch), so I am relatively certain she knows how babies are made. Getting out of that situation is what first endeared Mikazuki to her.

As for Mikazuki losing control of his body... I honestly think an exoskeleton or prosthetics would work. My reasoning for them having the tech? Gaelio/Vidar, as well as Ein from the first season. That also syncs well with the flesh arm/skeletal mechanical arm/Gundam arm transition near the end of the opening.

The last two episodes once again reinforce a core issue in the story. Most of Tekkadan once worked under the "human debris" term. They were considered worthless to all other humans, and constantly told that. Orga and Tekkadan has basically shown them that they have worth, that their family recognizes their worth, and now other people recognize their worth and consider them real people now. And that has done wonders for them emotionally, though it makes it even more painful when they lose something.

Except Mikazuki is still broken, and nothing Orga or Atra or Kudelia or anyone has done has managed to even partially patch him up. If Orga continues on his path, Mikazuki will get used up. If he tries to slow down now, the rest of Tekkadan will suffer as well. If he stops, then he breaks the old promise to Mikazuki, and who knows how Mikazuki will react to that (my bet is on monstrous rampage or a complete shutdown)? And if Orga fails, then he renders everything Tekkadan has gained null, which might be worse than death to some members. I have likened the situation to the old "riding a tiger" idiom back in Season One, and it still holds true now.

I do wonder about the "Order of the Seven Stars". While they reviewed the events, there was no indication anyone was getting the award, despite the Mobile Armor being defeated. There is also the question on who it would go to: Mikazuki for the actual kill, Orga for the one in charge of the operation that killed it, or McGinnis for being the recognized Gjallarhorn member on site. Nice little political mess there.

Still hoping that Vidar-Gali decides full vengeance is not worth making everything worse, puts Vidar-Ein to sleep, and decides to run off with Julieta, to her confusion.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:57 am Reply with quote
Melchiorgk wrote:
Well, Atra used to work at a strip-club (which I honestly thought was a bordello on first watch), so I am relatively certain she knows how babies are made. Getting out of that situation is what first endeared Mikazuki to her.

As for Mikazuki losing control of his body... I honestly think an exoskeleton or prosthetics would work. My reasoning for them having the tech? Gaelio/Vidar, as well as Ein from the first season. That also syncs well with the flesh arm/skeletal mechanical arm/Gundam arm transition near the end of the opening.

The last two episodes once again reinforce a core issue in the story. Most of Tekkadan once worked under the "human debris" term. They were considered worthless to all other humans, and constantly told that. Orga and Tekkadan has basically shown them that they have worth, that their family recognizes their worth, and now other people recognize their worth and consider them real people now. And that has done wonders for them emotionally, though it makes it even more painful when they lose something.

Except Mikazuki is still broken, and nothing Orga or Atra or Kudelia or anyone has done has managed to even partially patch him up. If Orga continues on his path, Mikazuki will get used up. If he tries to slow down now, the rest of Tekkadan will suffer as well. If he stops, then he breaks the old promise to Mikazuki, and who knows how Mikazuki will react to that (my bet is on monstrous rampage or a complete shutdown)? And if Orga fails, then he renders everything Tekkadan has gained null, which might be worse than death to some members. I have likened the situation to the old "riding a tiger" idiom back in Season One, and it still holds true now.
Still hoping that Vidar-Gali decides full vengeance is not worth making everything worse, puts Vidar-Ein to sleep, and decides to run off with Julieta, to her confusion.

Ha ha im with you on that but partway, Vidar-Gali deserves some sort of justice for all McGillis put him through and the fact that he largely ignored McGillis save for calling him out verbally imo shows that he's not totally revenge obsessed.

Mikazuki losing control of his body makes for an interesting development. I doubt thematically him regaining use of his lost body parts will be easy because I get the feeling the writer really wants to demonstrate the consequences of war especially involving children.
Honestly I can totally get behind him being a cripple at the end of the series if he finally matures by then. He will have acknowledged that there's a future beyond fighting but his body is too badly damaged to realize it (a consequence of his reckless fights with barbatos) and will have no choice but to depend on his family to live on. It'll be a very bitter end but I feel a well and hard earned one, one that will never be forgotten and he can pass on the next generation of children. Perhaps his if Atra gets her way Very Happy
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:14 am Reply with quote
I got the impression that Atra did work at a brothel, but she was so young that nobody told her exactly what was going on there and Mikazuki helped her get out of there early enough that she never found out (she was opposed to working there because they physically abused her, not because she was aware of being a part of the sex trade). Atra and Mikazuki both model what they've seen on Naze's ships when it comes to relationships--Atra socially, in the way she wants to become sister wives with Kudelia in a polygamous set up with Mikazuki (which, in their world, would be a completely functional family choice if Mika were typically developed emotionally, and not a stunted child soldier), and Mika physically in how he kissed Kudelia after watching Naze kiss Amida. Neither of them seem to truly understand mature romantic relationships or sex beyond a basic child-like comprehension.

As for Mika's disabilities, I think since they're neurological in nature they can't be easily patched up. Doctors can do a lot more for purely physical damage to eyes and limbs than for brain damage. Ein didn't have the same type of damage because he didn't have the Alaya-Vinjana system. Mika would have to be attached to a Barbatos proxy computer via Alaya-Vinjana that he could take with him everywhere--not an easy thing to recreate for daily use.

On an unrelated note: Iok, *sigh*, so pretty but sooo stupid. He's gonna start a war now, isn't he?
Melchiorgk

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:06 am Reply with quote
Calsolum wrote:
*snip*

Mikazuki losing control of his body makes for an interesting development. I doubt thematically him regaining use of his lost body parts will be easy because I get the feeling the writer really wants to demonstrate the consequences of war especially involving children.
Honestly I can totally get behind him being a cripple at the end of the series if he finally matures by then. He will have acknowledged that there's a future beyond fighting but his body is too badly damaged to realize it (a consequence of his reckless fights with barbatos) and will have no choice but to depend on his family to live on. It'll be a very bitter end but I feel a well and hard earned one, one that will never be forgotten and he can pass on the next generation of children. Perhaps his if Atra gets her way Very Happy

I feel Mikazuki losing control of his body highlights/reinforces his dependency on others to be a functional human being.

As for a quick fix - nah, I agree with you there. I think it will be like Kamille - he'll be essentially crippled by the end of the season, with an epilogue showing that Mikazuki is now using prosthetics (maybe working on the farm?).

And I personally do not see Mikazuki needing to mature. He feels less stunted growth and more missing parts to me. That is why reading and writing, the farm, even working with Hush, are all so important. Because it is showing that there is something still there that can grow, rather than a barely functional sociopath.

Hrm, might have just shot down my own argument there.
amagee

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:10 pm Reply with quote
I think what we're seeing with Mikazuki and the Alaya-Vinjana system is just an inevitable negative outcome based off how the system works. As the supplemental materials have explained, the nano-machines of the system work to create an artificial third lobe of the brain which helps the pilots move their suits in a very human-like fashion because, for all intents and purposes, a part of their brain is devoted to moving the mobile suit.

What I suppose is happening to Mika is that, as the suit goes more and more full throttle, it is gradually taking over more and more of his brain in order to help it push the Barbatos beyond its normal limits. So while before he lost feeling, his "third lobe" was non-functional to him since only the mobile suit used it, we're gradually seeing more of his brain become devoted solely to mobile suit control and, henceforth, non-functional when outside of it.
Aspiringforce

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:57 pm Reply with quote
I stopped this Anime at around Ep. 10.. looks like I need to restart it again!
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Barbatos fighting with gleaming red eyes definitely gave me the impression of a wicked powerful demon fighting a fallen angel. It definitely added to the symbolic reference given earlier.

Mika's something else. He doesn't seem to be the least bit bothered that all he can do now is fight using Barbatos. Guy's got guts, more than any other person probably should have.

amagee wrote:
What I suppose is happening to Mika is that, as the suit goes more and more full throttle, it is gradually taking over more and more of his brain in order to help it push the Barbatos beyond its normal limits. So while before he lost feeling, his "third lobe" was non-functional to him since only the mobile suit used it, we're gradually seeing more of his brain become devoted solely to mobile suit control and, henceforth, non-functional when outside of it.

It's like he's slowly bartering his body to a demon to gain higher levels of power to the point he can only function by being reliant on the demon, which is appropriate given the fact Barbatos is named for one (though not technically a malevolent one).
jutsuri

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm a week behind, but wanted to add my two cents anyway.

It doesn't really help the story but I don't see why Mika can't use Barbatos for things other than fighting. Even though it's technically a fighting machine, it seems like it could actually be quite useful on the farm. Not for planting or harvesting so much, but it could easily till up lots of soil and move heavy loads, etc. If Mika's only way of functioning is by using Barbatos, they should be able to think up some alternate uses.

Looking forward to seeing the direction things go from here. McGillis looks like he is thinking up some nefarious plans, I wonder if his mask is going to be making more appearances.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:10 pm Reply with quote
jutsuri wrote:
It doesn't really help the story but I don't see why Mika can't use Barbatos for things other than fighting. Even though it's technically a fighting machine, it seems like it could actually be quite useful on the farm. Not for planting or harvesting so much, but it could easily till up lots of soil and move heavy loads, etc. If Mika's only way of functioning is by using Barbatos, they should be able to think up some alternate uses.

That reminds me of that one scene in Turn A Gundam where spoiler[Loran was using the title Gundam to wash a big batch of laundry], which was a very human life moment. It might seem silly, but I think it was a beautiful moment in its own way, especially after your pointing out what Mika could do with Barbatos beyond fighting.

Anyway, in regards to the newest episode of IBO, I'm hoping that what happened isn't spoiler[setting up a death flag for Naze; please don't, because he's a really damn good character].
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:40 pm Reply with quote
I though this episode was extraordinarily weak. Iok hatred for Tekadan barely make sense (They were the one to kill the mobile armor so I guess he hate them for that?) but shifting the hatred to the turbine really make no sense and just feel like the writer didn't know how to move the plot forward. Plus you then have Rustal saying Iok got natural charisma, I'm sorry, what? The cry baby man children nearly joke relief character has charisma now?

Then we just get an half episode worth of death flag, IBO is just really bad at that. Every time a character die they spend way too much time setting it up which just remove any impact from the actual death and make it seems like everyone else is just fine, we know there not going to die because they didn't have there requisite death flag episode.
Monster Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:41 pm Reply with quote
The death flag my God the death flags were everywhere in this episode. I have a sinking suspicion that they all might bite it but I like the reviewer am betting on Naze and Amida getting killed. I am totally betting on Amida being killed either in combat against Julietta and her new prototype MS or being killed at the ship as it is destroyed by a railgun shot. I definitely see Naze dying on his ship being hit by the railgun Lok took from their headquarters. They kept bringing up the railguns and we only saw one when they were detaining Turbine ships so I am calling Chekhov's gun on the second railgun they took.
Monster Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:46 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
I though this episode was extraordinarily weak. Iok hatred for Tekadan barely make sense (They were the one to kill the mobile armor so I guess he hate them for that?) but shifting the hatred to the turbine really make no sense and just feel like the writer didn't know how to move the plot forward.

The reason Lok is going after Turbines is because Jasley told him they are Tekkaden's major support. How is it not sound strategy to remove your enemies support before defeating them. Tekkaden is seen as heroes right now and he doesn't have the ability to go directly after them. So take the pillars supporting them possibly causing discord among other Tekkaden supports ultimately weakening them. I don't get how you see that as bad writing it makes perfect sense.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Monster Hunter wrote:
meiam wrote:
I though this episode was extraordinarily weak. Iok hatred for Tekadan barely make sense (They were the one to kill the mobile armor so I guess he hate them for that?) but shifting the hatred to the turbine really make no sense and just feel like the writer didn't know how to move the plot forward.

The reason Lok is going after Turbines is because Jasley told him they are Tekkaden's major support. How is it not sound strategy to remove your enemies support before defeating them. Tekkaden is seen as heroes right now and he doesn't have the ability to go directly after them. So take the pillars supporting them possibly causing discord among other Tekkaden supports ultimately weakening them. I don't get how you see that as bad writing it makes perfect sense.

So he decided to take on a 50 000 strong company instead of Tekadan maybe 500 strong (using a pretext linked to Tekadan)... yeah makes complete sense. How could he possibly compete? Also ignoring the fact that Tekadan could just come to there help...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 28 of 47