• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Concrete Revolutio

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hououin Wooser

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 5:28 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
It's the Japanese year system, year x of y era, which in the case of the show corresponds to the 1960's and 1970's.

Ok. That explains it. Thanks a lot!
Eternal Dragon Of ChaOZ

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 10:06 pm Reply with quote
I liked this episode.

Nice to see Earth again.
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I'm assuming the series' Shinka era corresponds to the real-life Showa era, which based on references to certain major cultural events of that time period (e.g. the Beatles' 1966 performance at the Budokan, the 1972 Sapporo Olympics) seems to be accurate.

The Showa era refers to the reign of Emperor Hirohito, which began in 1926, so forty years from that would put you in the 1960s, etc.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 7:47 am Reply with quote
I assume this will be 13 episodes, so they leaves us with 8 episode left. I really hope next week, or at the very least with the last 5 episodes, they have a continues narrative. The energy of the first season and all the big events it had, are gone. And this show with all its world building and setups really needs something for it to resolve on.
Edl01

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Damn that was a good one. That episode was probably my favorite one we've seen so far this season, up there with the Earth-Chan introduction episode from the first season.

It really was an episode with everything. An interesting self contained story, Earth Chan, a strong lead with an understandable motive, Earth Chan, a clever exploration of several of the show's most interesting themes, some stellar animation and it even has EARTH CHAN.

The episode even has a time skip for people who liked that, and it's story tied in to multiple vignettes from both last season and the current one.

10/10 episode for me, reminds me why I loved season 1 as much as I did.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Those two guys with the masks who talked about previously being the good guys and busting dangerous corporations looked a lot like Green Arrow and Green Lantern during their early 1970s team-up comic, right around the same time. I'd say it's almost definitely a reference, considering that the comic played on the difference between (then) left-wing anarchist Green Arrow and liberal who wanted to work within the system Green Lantern, who agreed about ends but differed about means. It's just way to similar to Concrete Revolutio's themes.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 12:03 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Hellsoldier wrote:
IT'S THE FREAKING 60'S/70'S!!! What did you expect?

Just because it was a fictional trope then doesn't mean it was the actual truth of the time period. If it were, there wouldn't be any old lesbians now. So there's no reason to resurrect that trope when a period story is being told by 21st century writers who know better (even in Japan) and aren't being forced by any media codes that require a bad end.

I finally got around to watching 14 and 15 and while I agree it made more sense that last season, I'm still not sure I care. If I could marathon it, it would undoubtedly make more sense, but I can only stand to watch a couple episodes at a time before I burn out. I think I'll probably just read the reviews and see if I can piece the story together that way. The time hopping was sort of fun in the first episode, but I really don't see the narrative advantage over a linear timeline that's gained by telling the story this way. It just seems to be confusing for the sake of confusion.

Sorry for such a delayed reply, but I need to point out that suicide by LGBT in our day and age is still large, and a real problem, specially among youth. So I don't need to say that, in that period, suicide was more likely than it was today. Sure, simultaneously, David Bowie came out as bisexual in the 70's and what-have-you, but that means nothing... And the West was a Hellhole for the LGBT. It wasn't until the Stonewall Riots that larger support for the LGBT came to be. Sure there were various publications aimed at LGB folk primarily, and homosexuality was legal, but that's as far as it went. May I add the suicide in general was (and still is) a major problem in Japan?

This season is being quite the blast for me. I loved Concrete Revolutio from the get-go, but this season adds layers of awesome each and every episode. I know the story will tie-up soon, and I am anxious.
Doodleboy

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
There's a curious moment, after Ullr leaves Kikko to make her own decision about whether to fight for Jiro, where he mentions that she's "lost touch with her essence" and is no longer a "queen candidate," instead becoming a normal human. It's not surprising that Kikko's love for Jiro might cause her to choose humanity, knowingly or not, but I hope we get answers about what specifically she did to cause this change.

I assumed when I heard that Ullr was talking about Emi turning "Dark Kikko" into a tiger way back in the season one finale, although I'd have to recheck the episodes to be sure.

On another note we finally get the significance of Kikko's really random dialogue of "I'm twenty years old now." waaaaaayy back in episode one.

Despite stopping the time-jumps Concrete Revolutio still makes weird storytelling decisions.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Emi also mentions something about defeating a "real enemy" that isn't clarified, but hopefully will be in future episodes. It's good to have a better clue about her goals, but it would also be nice to see the two main female characters get motivations that aren't so centered around being in love with Jiro.

I thought it was pretty clear (though I could be wrong) that the "real enemy" was America, and their attitude of wanting to destroy culture/Yokai and only develop their own superhumans with technology. Not-Kirei seemed pretty intent on destroying all supernatural phenom that wasn't created by human hands, but I don't know if that's ultimately the entire country's view - Ultima seemed way more interested in Jiro's nuclear powers than anything else.

Given that Emi's goal in the first season was apparently about conquering a place for Yokai in the new society it fits. I still don't know how Jiro actually ties in with her motives, though.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Mostly agreeing with killjoy_the above, I thought that Emi's line about "the real enemy" was about the people (in this case JOE) who are out to kill all of the monsters of the old world which would include her.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Episode 20 Review wrote:
He shifts into a superhuman form by plundering arms from other J.O.E.s and goes on a rampage, insisting on a philosophy of endless war to destroy the world that has destroyed him.

I rather liked this moment, as it shows Jonathan becoming an asura, further reflecting his newfound dedication to eradicating other, more peaceful gods and plunging the world into constant war.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Nice episode, I do find it a shame that what viewers have been waiting for the most was the Urobuchi Guest episode, feels like it underplays the world the 2 writers have built to just "Oh boy one of these will be written by Urobuch, can't wait for that one ".
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 3:11 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Nice episode, I do find it a shame that what viewers have been waiting for the most was the Urobuchi Guest episode, feels like it underplays the world the 2 writers have built to just "Oh boy one of these will be written by Urobuch, can't wait for that one ".

Many episodes in this show (especially this season) were written by guest writers, and getting hyped for an episode written by a particularly notable one is nothing new to this series.

In fact, that's the rule more than the exception for most anime (and, for that matter, most television shows, period). While there are some directors and writers with distinctive voices who make a strong mark on their shows, generally it's not a very "auterist" medium. And even those shows with a strong "auteur" mark usually have multiple writers beyond the head of series composition.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
John Thacker

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Of course, from a post-Cold-War perspective, we can critique this tendency to blame and fear the ideology itself,

No, from a post-Cold-War perspective, we can critique the mistaken tendency to pretend that Communism was anything else but something to be feared and blamed for its unparalleled level of mass murder both in Asia and elsewhere. We can do so even while critiquing both the intent and execution of the Vietnam War, in much the same way as critiquing the atomic bombing of Hiroshima and Nakasaki hardly excuses the ideology of Imperial Japan. We can also certainly understand the natural anticolonialist desires of people while also acknowledging, say, the desire of the Hmong not to be ruled by others.

If anything, Communism was far worse than believed by polite society during the period, and the popular characterization of it as a mere power struggle between alliances has been shown to be utterly false, particularly as applies to the Soviet Union. To pretend otherwise is to be thoughtless and ignorant. The world is a complicated place, and unfortunately legitimate goals and grievances can co-exist with horrible methods and ideologies, as well as with horrible individuals, and that goes with all sides.
Doodleboy

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 7:01 pm Reply with quote
It's kind of amazing how perfect Concrete Revolutio was for Gen Urobuchi. A show that's essentially about clashing ideologies and being both cynical and at the same time celebratory about the Superhero genre as well as what said genre represents. He's exploring the same territory he was exploring in Madoka, Fate/Zero, and Kamen Rider Gaim.

Even Urobuchi's dialogue meshes well with the series (I have no idea how much Shou had in revising the episode, but it did sound like Urobuchi's clashing of POV style writing came through). The only character that sounded a little off was Raito. It was weird seeing him act cynical since he's usually a character with his heart on his sleeve.

Hell he even got to talk about the colonialism that was a theme in the Psychopass Movie.

Also I love Urobuchi villains and I love how the story frames the American military. To them this is very much their story and they are the heroes. They completely ignore the point of view and feelings of the actual protagonists of the story. He's a writer who understands that bad people usually see themselves as the morally correct hero, and that doesn't make their views less monstrous.

Also like how Emi is getting more character development and we get to see her role in the show. It feels like alot of this season is about the Yokai and how they represent Japan's past. Kinda like how last season dealt a lot with Kaiju as a metaphor of Japan's relationship with nuclear power.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10