• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Dance with Devils

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:42 pm Reply with quote
notrogersmith wrote:
Quote:
Are we laughing at the show or with it?

Yes.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised that this is the first time you noticed the nearly constant look of disgust on Rem's face, or as I call it, his "Resting Bitch Face." In fact, I've taken to just calling Rem "Resting Bitch Face." If he smiles before the last minute of the last episode, I'll be shocked!

Shiki almost seems like he could be moe, if he weren't so freaking creepy and sadistic.

White haired hot aunt kisser better be a devil or something, and be brother/cousin Lindo's dad.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:56 am Reply with quote
It's not so much the first time I noticed it as it seems to be getting worse - I felt like he added that constipated element this episode. But yeah, not exactly Mr. Smiley, is he? Laughing
notrogersmith

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Is it me, or has Shiki been the rapiest of the devils so far? Not that I'm exactly complaining, since he is a devil after all (the angel part of him be damned Twisted Evil ).
iamtooawesome

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:12 pm Reply with quote
i know 1 thing, Japanese will still like the Pomeranian dude as long as he's voiced by Tatsuhisa, this is like Free! Were int netz expects that Haru will win the character poll but lol no it was Makoto, same for the other characters who was voiced by Tatsu.

Last edited by iamtooawesome on Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:09 pm Reply with quote
This was a decent episode, and the fact that Kazutomi Yamamoto can sing was a nice plus. My main choking points were the set-up and the denouement.

Ritsuka: Let me just take five steps down this aisle to get that thing over there.

Azuna: No! We can't be separated. So wait here, while I go check-out and leave you unattended.

Ritsuka: Yay! Time to run off again!

At the end I kept waiting for her to, you know, ask Lindo what the hell happened to him back there, but she seems to have already forgotten it, despite the evidence on her face. Also, his "that's all I can say right now" made me want to slap that boy right upside the head. I just have to pretend that he was watching the clock and saw the episode was about to end.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
This was a decent episode, and the fact that Kazutomi Yamamoto can sing was a nice plus. My main choking points were the set-up and the denouement.

Ritsuka: Let me just take five steps down this aisle to get that thing over there.

Azuna: No! We can't be separated. So wait here, while I go check-out and leave you unattended.

Ritsuka: Yay! Time to run off again!

At the end I kept waiting for her to, you know, ask Lindo what the hell happened to him back there, but she seems to have already forgotten it, despite the evidence on her face. Also, his "that's all I can say right now" made me want to slap that boy right upside the head. I just have to pretend that he was watching the clock and saw the episode was about to end.

Agreed 100% The logic of "I need to keep my eyes on you so don't get separated, just stay here alone in this aisle while I pay for things because two people can't get in line on a register apparently" was incredibly stupid and contrived. Also, when Lindo said "this is all I can tell", I was hoping Ritsuka would blow him off, after all, he just promised that there would be no more lies.

I felt tempted to give this episode 5/5 just on the basis of the chorus of pomeranians singing mysterious chants though Laughing
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Rebecca wrote in the review:
Quote:
what's more important here is the implication that she doesn't contain the grimoire, a locked book of magic, but that her body itself is the “locked book,” meaning the magic power is within Ritsuka herself. This is different from the grimoire itself residing somewhere inside of her for a few reasons, one of which is certainly the sexual symbolism inherent in her corporeal body being “locked;” it would be really easy to view that as a reference to virginity (“purity”) and that the dark power is released when the “seal” is broken.

You are probably right in this. The problem I have is the association of purity with a grimoire. Traditionally they are supposed to contain very dark spells and this one is supposed to be able to release enough information to revive a fiend. Even if she retains her virginity and the associated purity this should end up corrupting her from inside. This is a hell of a thing (pun intended) to do to your grand daughter unless she is a construct of some sort and not actually human. They seem to be hiding evil behind a shield of innocence.

I don't see this having a good end.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:03 pm Reply with quote
The singing Pomeranians were the highlight of the episode.
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
This was a decent episode, and the fact that Kazutomi Yamamoto can sing was a nice plus.

I'm pretty sure that was Tatsuhisa Suzuki doing the singing, actually. Kazutomi Yamamoto voices the dog, but they have Suzuki as the "mysterious blue haired boy" in the promotional materials. (Also, it sounded like him.)
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:00 am Reply with quote
Darkmagick wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
This was a decent episode, and the fact that Kazutomi Yamamoto can sing was a nice plus.

I'm pretty sure that was Tatsuhisa Suzuki doing the singing, actually. Kazutomi Yamamoto voices the dog, but they have Suzuki as the "mysterious blue haired boy" in the promotional materials. (Also, it sounded like him.)

I wasn't aware of that. I was pleasantly surprised by how good the singing was, pretty much the best of the six guys as far as voice goes at least. I wouldn't be surprised if that turns out to be true, since Tattsun's a great singer
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:48 am Reply with quote
@ Darkmagick: I was just going by the Encyclopedia entry, which has his name spelled as Roen instead of Loewen, so I wasn't even certain it was the right character. Thanks! Smile

So they actually hired different seiyuu to do the dog and the human?? Shocked
WashuTakahashi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:57 pm Reply with quote
I totally called the dog being a route, even back before the human version was announced xD If UtaPri and DMMD taught me anything, it's that the animals are secret routes haha.

But the singing Pomeranians were extremely creepy.

I didn't call her brother being a half demon or something himself though...let's see where that takes us.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8

No, I think the Pomeranians still reign supreme. And I would have sworn there were hearts, but I guess they were replaced with stars. But it's nice to see that Rem can smile.

Speaking of resting Rem-face, it's apparently gotten so intimidating that flowers wilt with just a glance. I also like how even demons are no match for rabid fan-girls.

The insert song is not my kind of music, but the harmonies were very nice, and they're so rare among seiyuu-perfomed songs, so I really savored that in spite of the sappy lyrics and visuals.

Last edited by Gina Szanboti on Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:32 am Reply with quote
I was also struck by the oddness of a golden retriever in a fantasy space with rainbows amd a unicorn. And I loved the sniffing scene.

But I did find Azuna's death scene emotional and the most daring scene of the show so far. Ulterior motives notwithstanding, she was killed protecting Ritsuka, and she was her friend.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8