• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: K: Return of Kings

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Exalted Incarnate

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:32 am Reply with quote
jack.dowl wrote:
Ridiculous that we are a season, movie and a third of the way through the second season into the series and Shiro still hasn't had a major fight yet.

I understand that he has intelligence and eternal youth, but surely he must be quite strong as well, just based off what we have seen from the other kings.

The same goes for the gold,green, and spoiler[???] kings, there power has not been compleatly revealed to an extent.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:45 pm Reply with quote
All the juicy plot details aside, this was the first time I really noticed what a fine job Neko's seiyuu is doing in making her sound like a cat. Mostly I think I've just tuned her out since she usually doesn't contribute all that much and is kind of annoying, but when she was looking for Shiro, and I didn't need to read her subs to know what she was saying, I could totally hear a cat whining for food, or to be let out, or in, or calling kittens. It was great. Smile

Is it just me, or have these characters become even skinnier than they were in previous seasons? I especially don't remember Shiro being that anorexically thin. He, and other male characters nearly disappear when they turn sideways. I don't think I've ever seen an anime where the male characters were thinner than the female characters to this degree.
hatguy12

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:48 am Reply with quote
One line of the episode 5 review caught my attention.
Quote:
a conversation between Shiro and the Green King (via parrot) which reveals that Adolf has personally known the Green King since the war days, when they apparently once shared a common vision: to advance the evolution of humanity.

When I watched it the first time, I interpreted their conversation as only meaning the Green King now has the same vision that Shiro once had when he was a researcher, before becoming the Silver King; but that there was no past connection between the two as individuals.

Rewatching that conversation (relying on Hulu subs for my understanding of what was said), I would say there's nothing in it that conversation that really indicates either interpretation is right or wrong.

Though for me, I don't really get the feeling that he rest of the series content has been foreshadowing a past connection, so I'm more inclined to view things from the perspective that the two do not know each other personally. If there has been foreshadowing outside the possibly ambiguous interpretation of that conversation, then I'd be interested if someone could point out where I missed it.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6

Quote:
The pacing has become too relaxed and casual, a problem only exacerbated by an aimlessly undramatic, too-low-key musical score.

I've been complaining about that since the first episode of this season. Smile There was a scene in this episode where Shiro was talking and the music just stopped. It was so unexpected it actually made me take notice. And there was another passage where for a minute I thought they were going to switch from the ubiquitous easy-listening jazz to some outright fighting rock, but that only lasted for about a 5 second intro.

All that aside, what really bothered me this episode was the blinding star sparkle off everyone's bling. Every possible shiny surface from buttons to earrings to pendants kept flaring in my eyes in every shot, especially throughout the "here's the plan" meeting. Have they been doing that the whole series and I only just noticed? If they spent all this episode's budget on that instead of the fighting, what was I supposed to get out of it?
Vennex

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:29 pm Reply with quote
I unfortunately seem to be finding myself sighing at the end of each episode now. The slow pacing, which I can only presume derives from a lack of content written up for the season, is growing tiresome. I'm really hoping the next episode finally delivers some nice action and some good plot progression, I will hesitantly hold my breathe.
secondkas

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:56 am Reply with quote
I also think watching this is starting to become tedious. Everyone keeps talking, posing, and foreshadowing, but no one is getting any work done—neither the protagonists nor the antagonists. And I get it: the Blue, Red, and Silver kings teaming up is a huge deal, so move along and show us why already.

And I'm also not expecting much next week. I already saw two previews promising exciting moments only for them to happen at the near end in actuality.
WashuTakahashi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:25 am Reply with quote
Admittedly, episodes 5 and 6 were a lot of set-up without too much actually happening. But the end of episode 6 showcased some beautiful fighting, which is K's strong suit. Episode 7 should be filled to the brim with pretty fight scenes, even if they'll also probably be frequently interrupted with monologues. the only problem I see is the current conflict should probably wrap up by like, episode 9 at the latest, which leaves us with 3 more episodes to do...what? Hopefully they've got a good game plan to finish this series strong.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7
Quote:
Yeah, that panty-flashing scene which has her butt in the forefront of the camera was just a coincidence, right?

Most bizarre illustration of brokeback pose I've ever seen. I thought he cut her in half, since her fan service lower half didn't move at all when her upper body was crawling away.
WashuTakahashi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7 was ok....the fighting scenes, as usual, were beautiful. Too bad they were all cut short. I wasn't expecting that plot twist at the end, so looking forward to seeing what the gray king is capable of. Here's hoping ep 8 isn't another cop-out where they just chit chat instead of doing anything...
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Episode 7
Quote:
Yeah, that panty-flashing scene which has her butt in the forefront of the camera was just a coincidence, right?

Most bizarre illustration of brokeback pose I've ever seen. I thought he cut her in half, since her fan service lower half didn't move at all when her upper body was crawling away.

Yeah, that looked incredibly awful. With how her upper body moved, it looked like it had to be at least several feet away from her waist.
secondkas

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:31 pm Reply with quote
I seriously didn't know that a Gray King existed until now. Did they mention him before? Are the "colors" unlimited, and just arbitrarily pop up as we go along in the story? Is there a list of all the Colored Kings in the K universe, regardless of whether they made an appearance or not?
Exalted Incarnate

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:41 pm Reply with quote
secondkas wrote:
I seriously didn't know that a Gray King existed until now. Did they mention him before? Are the "colors" unlimited, and just arbitrarily pop up as we go along in the story? Is there a list of all the Colored Kings in the K universe, regardless of whether they made an appearance or not?

They said there is a total of seven kings. They reveal the colors as the story progresses.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, I'm not sure that he ever has been mentioned before in the anime. Maybe very briefly as someone who was not believed to be alive anymore. Promo materials for the series do specify seven Kings, and so far we've seen six: Red, Blue, Green, Silver, Gold, and Gray. That means that there's still one out there unaccounted-for.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
secondkas

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:43 pm Reply with quote
^ and ^^: Oh, right, thanks. Earlier posts did say something about that. Smile Is the Colorless King included? If he is, then that's all of them, right?

Last edited by secondkas on Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vennex

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:09 pm Reply with quote
secondkas wrote:
Does the Colorless King count? If he were, then that's all of them, right?

I believe he does indeed count as a king, so I consider all seven kings to be accounted for.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5