• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: K: Return of Kings

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
secondkas

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:33 pm Reply with quote
^ I see, thanks.
For some reason I was waiting for a Yellow King. My world view has been heavily influenced by the color wheel. Smile
Nyren

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Gray King? Seriously? We already have Silver which is more less a flashy gray. It's the same as a Yellow King when there's a Gold King. They could have used Purple and that would have made much more sense(Especially Yukari sort of gives off a bit of a purple hue sometimes, especially his sword. Three colors instead of just two.).

Of course, seven kings are known, that doesn't mean that the slate couldn't create new colored kings. The fact that there were only seven colors thus far is likely due to the Gold Kings suppression of the slates.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:23 am Reply with quote
Oh, right, I forgot about the Colorless King. That means all are now accounted for.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Eira

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:44 am Reply with quote
Yes, the creators have said nothing about the last king's identity up until now, not even in the manga and the novels. Him being revealed in this episode was a complete surprise, but a nice one. Now we know all the colors.
WeNTuS

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:24 am Reply with quote
Somehow i thought that priest guy could be a king because he didn't act like a minion to Green. Also since Green used Colorless before i was thinking that another King might be involved into his scheme.
Vennex

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Wasted potential seems to be the firm setting for my view on the season, especially comparing it to the first season which was great. Was so excited going into this season, now I'm just hoping they can pull it together in time for a hopefully decent ending.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Vennex wrote:
Wasted potential seems to be the firm setting for my view on the season, especially comparing it to the first season which was great. Was so excited going into this season, now I'm just hoping they can pull it together in time for a hopefully decent ending.

Yeah... I was pretty excited about the season after watching the movie which is sadly little more than an intro into the season but good enough to want to watch them explore the rest.

What a disappointment it has been. I kind of expected it to be fairly slow with a lot of talking, but the first season and the movie had enough substance in there to keep it from being boring. I'm getting really tired of a huge amount of time being spent on characters that 8 episodes in have yet to do anything (pretty much everyone in the red, blue, silver groups except Anna and Munakata). The silver team is by far the worst offender. All three of them literally stood there after realizing the slates were being stolen and did nothing. I guess they wanted to stay and watch that incredibly boring fight between the gray and blue kings? I realize this show isn't super heavy on the action, but that doesn't mean it is fine for characters to just stand there doing nothing.
Vennex

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:20 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:

Yeah... I was pretty excited about the season after watching the movie which is sadly little more than an intro into the season but good enough to want to watch them explore the rest.

What a disappointment it has been. I kind of expected it to be fairly slow with a lot of talking, but the first season and the movie had enough substance in there to keep it from being boring. I'm getting really tired of a huge amount of time being spent on characters that 8 episodes in have yet to do anything (pretty much everyone in the red, blue, silver groups except Anna and Munakata). The silver team is by far the worst offender. All three of them literally stood there after realizing the slates were being stolen and did nothing. I guess they wanted to stay and watch that incredibly boring fight between the gray and blue kings? I realize this show isn't super heavy on the action, but that doesn't mean it is fine for characters to just stand there doing nothing.

Agreed, it's been quite the annoyance to watch the lack of accomplishments done by most of them, especially during the fight with the gray king. And the amount of pointless talking done thus far is unbearable, they need to tone it down and focus a little more on some well choreographed fighting.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:15 am Reply with quote
Somehow I'd always imagined the Slates to be an intricate, delicate piece of machinery or something. In the shots we've seen of it, it looks as complex and fragile as a Millennium Falcon model, with parts that would snap off if you looked at it wrong. I certainly didn't see it as something you could walk around on.

Watching them haul it off made me wonder why there was no one actually guarding the thing itself. Have some soldiers sitting on it at least to keep someone from leisurely putting netting and cables around it. It doesn't do much good to guard the door if they can come in through the roof. Don't they watch Magic Kaito? (Shiro finally realized this, yet didn't tell anyone to get their asses up there to stop them?)

Also, is there an in-story reason why Munakata wouldn't just kill the Green King when he had the chance instead of talking him to death?
Eira

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:45 am Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure that Fushimi leaving is part of a plan to infiltrate the greens, though I can't tell whether he and Munakata planned it together or if it's just Munakata manipulating him. But Munakata's acting during their argument seemed very staged and OOC. Also, the part about Fushimi not being loyal to the blue clan is simply not true. We've seen in a lot of the side material that he cares about them, and they care about him too (Awashima being worried about him by the end of this episode was really touching, she's like a mom). There's no way he's going to betray them for real.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:03 am Reply with quote
So you think he's a Method actor? If it turns out you're right that it was planned, then the tag scene after the credits makes no sense unless he thinks the Greens are telepathic.

I can see him changing his mind once he gets in with them and using his infiltration powers for good or something, but if he and Munakata set it up, or even if he already decided to do that on his own, I'll be really annoyed.
Eira

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:33 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
So you think he's a Method actor? If it turns out you're right that it was planned, then the tag scene after the credits makes no sense unless he thinks the Greens are telepathic.

Fushimi seemed to have something planned from the start - there's his line about (Munakata?) having an insurance, and also the fact that he told Yata to keep up before the fight with Munakata even took place. The whole argument scene seemed partly staged too (Munakata saying they should leave things to Shiro is just not his way of doing things, plus they made sure they had an audience even though it would have been better to keep a discussion like that private), at least up until the point where Munakata threw out his traitor insult and Fushimi seemed to get mad for real.

It's hard to tell what's going on but we should keep in mind that Munakata knows Fushimi very well, and that the blue king's excellent at manipulating people. Also, from Fushimi's backstory we know that his previous encounters with the green clan weren't exactly positive. We'll have to wait and see what happens but I'm sure there was more to that scene than it seemed.
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:46 am Reply with quote
Munakata's talk about a "ideal paradise" makes him look more and more like some crazy "benevolent" dictator and not like someone i would trust with that kind of power (not to mention that it looks like he might soon give everyone a "ideal hell" if nobody kills him before his powers run rampant...) while the Grey King would be more sympathetic if his plans included destroying those slates (wouldn't that be the easiest solution to protect "the common people"?) and not giving their potentially dangerous powers to everyone.

I really hope Fushimi will join the Green Clan and shake things up a bit. He's always been one of the more interesting characters and him switching sides (again) might give this show some badly-needed momentum.
secondkas

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:52 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
The silver team is by far the worst offender. All three of them literally stood there after realizing the slates were being stolen and did nothing.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
(Shiro finally realized this, yet didn't tell anyone to get their asses up there to stop them?)

When I watched that, it felt that the characters were pretty lax in defending the Slates, I almost thought that it was a decoy. But no it's not…? This is actually the result of three clans teaming up?

And isn't there a subplot about Neko? Is it ever going to be directly addressed anytime soon or are we done with that?

I wonder what happened to the production team. I know the first season had some holes, but it wasn't this bad.
WashuTakahashi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Finally, we got some of the fighting that this series so badly needed, instead of just everyone chatting. (Could have been more impressive, but wasn't bad)

This episode gave me major feels whiplash. Poor Fushimi. The line about him being a traitor was a real low blow. But after reading the comments, I wonder just how much Munekata figured Fushimi's next move would be to join the Greens. Obviously Seri has no clue.

I also hope they don't just drop the Neko sub-plot. Neko is my favorite character, so I'd really like some resolution there.

It also seemed to me like the slates the Greens got were fake or something, since Fushimi mentioned "insurance", but who knows...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5