• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Chivalry of a Failed Knight

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:45 pm Reply with quote
The fact that they are able to become a couple this early on really sets apart from various other fan service/harem titles. That is, because our usual lead guy is often indecisive of which girl he wants to be with.

I think the reason why some of these series have open endings could come from a shipping aspect. That is, the author may want the lead guy to pick the lead girl. However, they know that another girl is popularly paired with that guy, so they keep it open ended to possibly appease the shippers.
kinghumanity

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:10 pm Reply with quote
sk1199 wrote:
Rebecca- I just wanted to point out that Alice is a guy. I'm not sure if you were aware of that or not since you keep referring to him as "she".
Your critique is valid but I just thought that you should be aware.

Alice is what we would call transgender - biologically male but self-identifies as female.

I always had this question in the back of my head - isn't Japan much more sexually conservative than the West? It's interesting to see that everyone else just shrugged, respected Alice's identity, and moved on. Or is this still controversial in Japanese anime community?

Hell if such a transgender character was to appear on a Western TV show, a lot of people in the US South would freak out and call it corrupting or something.
macattack

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:07 pm Reply with quote
kinghumanity wrote:
Alice is what we would call transgender - biologically male but self-identifies as female.

I always had this question in the back of my head - isn't Japan much more sexually conservative than the West? It's interesting to see that everyone else just shrugged, respected Alice's identity, and moved on. Or is this still controversial in Japanese anime community?

Hell if such a transgender character was to appear on a Western TV show, a lot of people in the US South would freak out and call it corrupting or something.

Japan is more conservative than the West on a lot of things, however, they also have a policy of just plain not giving a crap about what people choose to do as long as it doesn't hurt others.

What a person chooses to do just doesn't mean much to the average Japanese person. Note how casual a lot of people in Sony's Japanese offices dress (of course, the executives are another story). Show up, do what you need to do, do it correctly, go home.
Clarste

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:24 am Reply with quote
I think this is like the... second(?) transgender character I've seen in anime that's actually treated with respect, and perhaps more importantly not made a big deal of. Like, there was even a locker room scene where Stella didn't react at all to Alice being there. Normally I'd expect at least a joke. That said, she also used the male bathroom in episode 3, so I guess acceptance isn't perfect yet, but it's still damned progressive and I respect that.

Also, Alice somehow manages to be the most relatable character despite magically knowing everything in people's heads.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:14 pm Reply with quote
The full-body blush and copious amounts of sweat were rather much.

I find it hilarious though that Kurashiki Kuraudo has the same VA as Kusanagi Takeru from Anti-Magic Academy. The sword freak voices the sword freak! spoiler[The LN protagonist versus the LN protagonist!]

Alongside Matsuoka, that's three LN leads in one show. Who's next, Tatsuya?
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Episode #6:

This episode answered some questions regarding Shizuku's and Alice's behaviour exhibited in previous episodes, specifically about Shizuku not being inside Ikki's hospital room after his fight against Kirihara Shizuya, and about Alice's decision to try and give Shizuku a hopeful love advice that most likely won't work; Shizuku is big enough of a person that she is willing to be "relegated" to the side of the stage if that means that there is someone who can bring Ikki happiness (although that doesn't mean she'll give up Smile), and Alice, while very observant, is opting to have a more casual discussion, rather than confront with people, which is why she gave Ikki hints that he is panicking back in episode #4, but told the other two girls flat-out the situation.

Also, I think Kirihara Shizuya should get some praise, because when compared to this arc's antagonist, Kurashiki Kuraudo, any element will be enhanced. In other words, while Kirihara talked the talk but couldn't walk the walk, Kurashiki spoiler[can and does].

As for the student council fights, yeah they were an obvious bait. The anime only rushed things slightly, but that about how their fights went in the written material... Nice animation, though.

Last edited by Hameyadea on Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Desa

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad they breezed through the low-key council members. No one cares about small-fry when you only have 12 or so episodes (supposedly). On to the main event!

Here at the half-way mark Chivalry is really pulling ahead for me. I know series like this and Asterisk have their character archetypes, but Chivalry's cast just seems to have more depth. It's also really nice to see an honest and simple relationship for once instead of the detestable "will-he?-will-she?" dynamic or unrealized pseudo-harems (real harems or gtfo).
sharkjack

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:53 pm Reply with quote
As someone who has done kenjutsu for a few years, the advice sounded pretty reasonable to me, and for once there was a good reason someone of at least blackbelt level didn't figure it out herself. Imitating someone's moves exactly is going to hold you back in the long run. I guess she was taught the basics by her father and then raised her skills herself by mimicking her dad, because if her teacher didn't catch on to that, they shouldn't be teaching kenjutsu.

What I liked less, is how someone of that level was unable to reconfigure her stance based on the given information. If Ayase had shifted herself, and Ikki had then made some minor adjustments, it would've been excusable, although her reaction to being touched was pretty absurd. Story wise it could've been toned down a lot and they still could've had it trigger the relationship development, but this clearly stepped into titillation territory and the sweat was really overdoing it.

In my school we don't usually physically alter people's stances, as learning what stances are comfortable for yourself + the muscle control to do adjust them properly given outside advice are vital skills to pick up on if you want reach a level where you can perform variations of techniques. I'm sure other schools regularly physically adjusting someone's stance though and it shouldn't be that much of a shock.

I still really dig how this show decided to go with an early relationship and dive into the issues that come from that. I like the idea that Ayase and Ikki's connection over the callouses on their hands is something that drives Stella to communicate her insecurities with Ikki, and their scene was sweet (also fanservice done way better than the scene before).

Right now this show feels like it's made one step in a very interesting direction, but still has the other foot planted firmly in the harem fanservice by accident and misinterpretation kiddie pool. I'd love to see where it can go if it makes that second step.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:43 am Reply with quote
It's very hard not to compare Chivalry and Asterisk but seeing how we've reached the midpoint, I'd love to hear how they're different.

I'd contribute myself but I only made it through the first episode of Asterisk; The first episode of Chivalry made me want to watch episode two, the first episode of Asterisk made me want to watch more of Chivalry so I rewatched the first episode. It's funny how much backstory they tried to cram into that first episode when they could have just done Chivalry's "main character needs to fight to graduate" plot and they could have just gone on to the fight.

Just watching Stella's facial expressions is a show of its own, plus she's not the rich elitist girl who needs to be brought down to "our" hero's level but rather she's both his equal and opposite who needed a challenge to her raw talent. And Ikki's own fighting style matches his personality and the romance plot perfectly; He has to know what he want because he will only get one shot to win so he can't hesitate or dither. They stopped their argument at the end of episode five but the next line of "are you as turned on as I am?" "More" conclusion played out in my head as their faces drew closer together. Sadly, they pulled back from that and, uh, calmed down and then rationally kissed rather than passionately. Wait a minute...

Looking over what I just wrote, it's anime screwball comedy? That idea is so old, it's new these days.
RaylenCypher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:09 am Reply with quote
If you would like to know what's up and the differences, watch the show, read the reviews, or read the appropriate thread for it. The big difference between these two is Chivalry is a straight forward romance between the main leads. Asterisk is a harem based show. A quick look at the tags/genres clears up the misunderstanding. The undertones that float around are there but they are in no way the main focus.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:22 am Reply with quote
Another big thing going for this show is that it sets up the usual tropes, and then knocks them down.
  • Male Lead has a little sister? Oh, she is is real-blood sister, I guess no shenn... Whoa, much love.
  • Male Lead likes Female Lead? Well, they're probably gonna make this a wishy-washy thi... Fast confession+kiss.
  • Other characters are jealous of Male Lead's prowess? Well, they'll be minor antag... Easily beaten up, showed remorse for they actions, requested Male Lead to train them, AND even have one character meta-commenting on how they didn't run away vowing for revenge.
  • And more, similar instances.

The story is very interesting, the art & animation style look fluid, and the voice acting is on-the-spot. Having this show breaking conventional tropes is an added bonus that makes me laugh nearly every episode thus far.
RaylenCypher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:41 am Reply with quote
I've already described why I like this show in depth about the main character Ikki with his episode of Existential Crisis. And I love romantic fantasy and this show rises into it.

What can I say, I'm a hopeless romantic.
Wajih KuroUsagi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:36 am Reply with quote
[Edit]: please read item 4 of Teh Rules. Errinundra.

Tempest wrote:

Use proper English
  1. We are not an IM chatroom; we expect proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
  2. If English is your Second Language, please say so in your first post. If you have a disability that impacts your writing ability (e.g., dyslexia), then please say so in your first post.
chito895

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Both Chivalry and Asterisk have been really entertaining, although they do rely on some well-known clichés. I'm really liking the development both give to their characters (at least to the main). I'd say that Asterisk is more slow in that department because it will be a two cour show, so maybe will get proper development and in-depth characterization by the time the second season starts. I don't know if Chivalry will get a second season, but what the show is doing with its characters and story is very impressive. I like that, even though Chivalry will just have 12 episodes, the interactions and development our characters get don't feel so rushed, and that way I'm getting attached to them. And like Rebecca, my personal favorite is Alice as well. I like that he is the analytical person and the one people can rely on, and not just an annoying comic relief character.

As for episode 6, most of the lines that Ikki used didn't really hit me. It just felt too serious and rather not suitable for a boy of his age. But what I really liked by the end was Ayase. Her last breakdown felt more real that anything Ikki's said, and I just felt the need to go there and give her a huge hug.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:02 pm Reply with quote
I do hope that they could make it 24 episodes because then they could show spoiler[the near sex scene that the leads have i vol. 3]. The fact the 2 became a couple in the first volume is indicating quicker development than LN where it might take until the final volume that the guy gets the girl.

My knowledge of this series is mainly from fan sites and watching it. I have skim read the available fan translations of the light novels.

By skimming, I mean quickly glancing at the text while I scroll down the screen. I do this because I don't really have the patience to read at full length. If there was an avg. of 10 chapters per light novel (usu. a light novel has maybe 4-6) and it wasn't like 250-400 pages, I think I might have more patience.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8