• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Chivalry of a Failed Knight

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Episode #7:

I think that Ayatsuji Ayase's change in behaviour from the shy, timid girl to the aggressive, devious one was pretty reasonable and understandable, given the circumstances, and also due to that she hasn't "flipped" completely, showing she was burdening herself with the farce. Ikki's display of Perfect Vision and utilizing it to dodge the invisible marks left by Ayase's Wind Scratch felt a bit overpowered, but the trade-off was an entertaining battle sequence, so overall it was fine.

Also, Itto Shura Laughing
AP24

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
I do hope that they could make it 24 episodes because then they could show spoiler[the near sex scene that the leads have i vol. 3]. The fact the 2 became a couple in the first volume is indicating quicker development than LN where it might take until the final volume that the guy gets the girl.

Don't worry the anime will cover up to Vol 3. I am hoping for another season so that I can see a similar scene but better in Vol 6 get animated.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:42 am Reply with quote
chito895 wrote:
Both Chivalry and Asterisk have been really entertaining, although they do rely on some well-known clichés. Asterisk ... will be a two cour show ... Chivalry will just have 12 episodes

Cliches? 7 episodes in and they are still the same show. "This week MC battles sword to sword against the new girl he took in last week, while helping her come to terms with her father's tragic issues." Can you tell which series I'm describing? (trick question)

I know the casts and details are slightly different, but the main plot points have been in perfect sync since episode 1. But it looks like maybe the storylines might start to diverge next week? Has to happen soon, right, since one will get twice as many episodes?

Despite the sameface of the plots, I think Rakudai is starting to edge out Asterisk (too much head petting and fan service), which is kind of a shame since it's the shorter series. Or not - I'm not sure I can make it through more than 12 episodes of either one.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:37 pm Reply with quote
chito895 wrote:
I'd say that Asterisk is more slow in that department because it will be a two cour show, so maybe will get proper development and in-depth characterization by the time the second season starts.

That explains a few things about the first episode of Asterisk though it still doesn't make me want to watch more of it.

I only saw the first episode but my impression of the main character was hardly positive, another seemingly naïve newcomer who is actually uber powerful- So people oppose because they don't know any better? Everyone was genre blind in that first episode- while Ikki on the other hand is a scrapper to me, someone who, here comes the clichés:

is a down to earth fighter who gives as good as he gets and while he's not afraid to get his hands dirty, he's more level headed than even his romantic rival- girlfriend here- gives him credit for. What makes me really enjoy this series is that this also applies to Stella. Sometimes, she even feels like a co-protagonist, only her struggles are less important and more a matter of perception so she's always just to the left of center stage.

And that first scene between the lead and the main girl was terribly done in Asterisk; the guy actively uses magic to return a lost article of clothing- by entering a girl's bedroom through the window. Less Chilvary's meet cute though misunderstandings, more something he should get arrested for.
chito895

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
chito895 wrote:
Both Chivalry and Asterisk have been really entertaining, although they do rely on some well-known clichés. Asterisk ... will be a two cour show ... Chivalry will just have 12 episodes

Cliches? 7 episodes in and they are still the same show. "This week MC battles sword to sword against the new girl he took in last week, while helping her come to terms with her father's tragic issues." Can you tell which series I'm describing? (trick question)

I know the casts and details are slightly different, but the main plot points have been in perfect sync since episode 1. But it looks like maybe the storylines might start to diverge next week? Has to happen soon, right, since one will get twice as many episodes?

That's what I thought when I watched ep. 6 of both shows. The only difference I could see was that one has a bad uncle and the other is against a whole gang of thugs. I'm pretty sure that the storylines will diverge a bit, as Kirin's past from Asterisk looks like will only fill the "motivation space" and I'm pretty sure we won't see much of that in a time, while Ayase's past seem to be the main plot point of the main arc, which I guess will be two or three more episodes. As has been

Quote:
Despite the sameface of the plots, I think Rakudai is starting to edge out Asterisk (too much head petting and fan service), which is kind of a shame since it's the shorter series. Or not - I'm not sure I can make it through more than 12 episodes of either one.

While I agree with the whole thing of the head, something I've seen a lot and it's starting to get annoying, the fan service is not that prominent in Asterisk, to be honest. I would even say that Chivalry has used more eye rolling fan service (little sister kissing his brother, that whole scene of Ayase's leg position) than the other one (where I can only think of is that whole "MC falls and the only that stops him is female lead's boobs" scene). But in general, both of them have been mostly tied on that department. And I'd like more episode from Chivalry, just for the sake of making comparisons between the two shows. That's the most entertaining thing I've been doing while watching both shows.
kinghumanity

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:22 pm Reply with quote
-Girl is friendly to MC

-girl betrays MC and fucks him over

-MC realizes he is being betrayed and fucked over, but doesn't say anything because girl has a sob story

-MC wins, forgives girl afterwards, still wants to help her because he is Jesus

-girl cries

Am I the only one who is annoyed by this trope?

She used his willingness to save lives against him. It's one thing for him to forgive, but not even a little angry? This isn't a human being, this is a caricature of Jesus/Ghandi.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:53 am Reply with quote
kinghumanity wrote:
It's one thing for him to forgive, but not even a little angry? This isn't a human being, this is a caricature of Jesus/Ghandi.

Uhh, he was angry.

The part where he screamed Ayase's name into the night after she got him to waste Ittou Shura wasn't just for show.
BlackPoint.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:06 am Reply with quote
AP24 wrote:
Don't worry the anime will cover up to Vol 3. I am hoping for another season so that I can see a similar scene but better in Vol 6 get animated.

Well ya sure? and how far didn't they cover it so far from the LN, because the manga last chapter probably gonna be in anime in around episode9 i guess. Anyway from your personal opinion how far ya think they gonna cover the anime in this s1 and what are the chances to get 2nd season then since i really like the anime so wanna get 2nd season soon too^^
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:03 pm Reply with quote
BlackPoint. wrote:
Well ya sure? and how far didn't they cover it so far from the LN, because the manga last chapter probably gonna be in anime in around episode9 i guess. Anyway from your personal opinion how far ya think they gonna cover the anime in this s1 and what are the chances to get 2nd season then since i really like the anime so wanna get 2nd season soon too^^

Volume 3, and all events within, are all but confirmed thanks to the OP.

A second season will probably not happen, but I haven't looked up any BD sales, so who knows.

We live in a world where NGNL and Shokugeki don't have a second season but Shinmai Maou does, so anything is possible.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:02 pm Reply with quote
It's sad that there was quite a bit of cut content to make time for the main beats of the episode. For example, we miss how Kaito initially doesn't rise to Kurashiki's goading until Kurashiki beats all of his disciples and injures them badly enough that they either can't practice swordsmanship anymore or completely lose their self-confidence and will to do so. This and Ikki's casual defeat of Kurashiki's thugs are reflections on the common practice of defeating all of a dojo's initiates before gaining the right to challenge the master for the dojo itself.

As for the ending gag, the novels had a funnier one, but it made things more haremy, so cutting it was probably a good idea.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:38 pm Reply with quote
I'll go ahead and say what I think detracted from this episode: it was Ayase. Really, I came to flat-out despise her this episode. She pretends she's a swords-... uh, person, yet... what, she has no idea what her father was feeling when he was fighting teen punk guy? She kept saying, over and over, "Oh, I can't do this, father! Oh, I'm such a failure! Oh, if only I had stepped in and fought this guy instead of my father!" Damn, girl, SHUT UP. If you'd fought the Sword Eater back then, you would've gotten smoked. How stupid and self-centered can you be.

The other issue is that it all seemed so rote. There was a definite lack of suspense this episode, more so than is usual, IMO. Like Stella, I never had any doubt what the outcome was going to be. And while he's no Mr. Awesome, I think Ikki is at least casting glances in Mr. Awesome's direction, which is not good: one Mr. Awesome is more than enough for Animedom.

And I'm getting a bit tired (okay, more than a bit) of Ikki's sister. The girl needs to take the hint and back off. I *thought* she had figured it out a couple of episodes ago, but this shtick of hers has gone way past its due date and needs to be tossed out with yesterday's garbage. It's *definitely* not funny anymore, if it ever really was.

I'll continue to watch the show, but my impetus for doing so has waned a bit. I hope that, moving forward, it can recapture it, or eventually I'm going to lose interest.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:01 am Reply with quote
Hurray! Finally a different story this week than Asterisk! However, I've already seen Rurouni Kenshin and this remake doesn't hold a candle. Still, it was one of the best episodes of this series so far.
myskaros

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
She kept saying, over and over, "Oh, I can't do this, father! Oh, I'm such a failure! Oh, if only I had stepped in and fought this guy instead of my father!" Damn, girl, SHUT UP. If you'd fought the Sword Eater back then, you would've gotten smoked. How stupid and self-centered can you be.

I had interpreted this as her wanting to have lost in her father's place, since she assumed he was cut down by Kurashiki, not that his health failed in the last moment. From the flashback, it feels like Kurashiki noticed the failure too and deliberately pressed his attack to help Kaito save face. Hence why he continued to play the bad guy and occupy the dojo when he probably just wanted to continue fighting other swordsmen - he was waiting for someone to come claim the dojo back ("It was worth waiting 2 years!").

I do agree that Ayase was pretty annoying. However, that shriek and fence-flip into the pond was hilarious in her first episode xD Kobayashi Yuu does great voicework.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:25 pm Reply with quote
awww, Kuraudo's not such a bad guy after all. poor guy just wanted someone to play with

So, I guess we could just chalk this up to boys will be boys
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:27 pm Reply with quote
For what it's worth, I'm almost positive that Mysterious Portly Malevolent Boss Man isn't Chinese.

Also does anyone know who voices Papa Kurogane? I want to say Rikiya, but he sounded a bit off for that, and it could just be my experience with Rikiya voicing dads messing with my ears.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8