• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Might Be Wrong

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrimsonVagabond

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:06 am Reply with quote
Alright for gosh sakes! All of you complaining about censorship to the fatal frame game. Chill. Fact of the matter is, it happened, Nintendo erred on the side of caution with at least one underage character was concerned and that's it. It happened. No whining or complaining is going to change it, what remains to be seen is will you still buy the game?

If a pair of revealing underwear/swimsuits for the teenage characters in a horror game were the ONLY reason you were going to buy that game, I'm sorry, hate to disappoint you, but thankfully there is a myriad of other games and forms of media you can find this kind of material in, and you are welcome to them.

If you actually care about the franchise or are interested in trying a title that really could just have easily been left in Japan and not localized at ALL, go download the game and enjoy. I hope its good, but I doubt its quality is impacted overmuch by the removal of some skimpy clothing for its characters.

Nintendo IS and REMAINS a family oriented company, they are also a foreign company, in a situation where a underage character in any shape matter or form is concerned, erring on the side of caution is a matter of course and shouldn't be worth the controversy everyone is turning it into.

Stop pretending only your opinion matters, and that your ENTITLED to a different result from what the company deemed correct. Buy the game or don't, but don't pretend your rights are being infringed upon.
Rensie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:31 am Reply with quote
It has nothing to do what they censor, is the behaviour. If you don't want support censorship in any form and in any game, don't buy the game and wait for a possible asian version with english subtitles or buy che original or don't buy it at all.
Choice is you, but if people buy the game the message is "we don't like censorship but better than nothing", then these companies will continue to release in the west edited games because they still have a profit anyway even if is a niche.
If you oppose censorship as a whole boycott the game.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:39 am Reply with quote
CrimsonVagabond wrote:

Nintendo IS and REMAINS a family oriented company, they are also a foreign company, in a situation where a underage character in any shape matter or form is concerned, erring on the side of caution is a matter of course and shouldn't be worth the controversy everyone is turning it into.

Stop pretending only your opinion matters, and that your ENTITLED to a different result from what the company deemed correct. Buy the game or don't, but don't pretend your rights are being infringed upon.

It's not so much that anyone feels that their rights are being infringed upon so much as the fact that this a somewhat weird decision seemingly made either at Nintendo's behest or Nintendo's own discretion that just doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Nintendo being a "family friendly" company.....that ironically has utterly no issues with the Senran Kagura games which to my recollection they've never asked to be edited (as severely) has nothing to with this in my opinion. If this were still the 1980's/1990's where Nintendo was overseeing stuff like this without a care or worry in the world this would be negligible but to still be doing something like in 2015 come on. Mad
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:29 am Reply with quote
Erm, who cares about story? These video game stories aren't even *good* so who cares? These games also tend not to focus on design, controls or gameplay and as a result, these games tend to suffer. Why would you buy a game like this in the first place?

Secondly, CERO is far worse than Nintendo of America. They got rid of *gameplay* elements in Fallout 3 based on Hiroshima. Yes, *gameplay* elements that alter how the game is *played*. Not to mention the various alterations of gameplay in COD, violence being censored, TLOU being censored. All of which are part of the gameplay. Also, CERO censor their own games far worse than what some U.S. subsidiary does.

It's like black on black murder in the US, Canada and London. People don't care about self-harm, even when it's the majority, but will quickly point fingers at "police brutality" or "racism". You're acting like BLM.
toddc

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:43 am Reply with quote
Ninjagai wrote:

God, I'm typing into the void. Hypocritical culture nazis don't read comments.

When Nintendo says
"Bikinis get erased!"
We HEIL! (*honk*) HEIL! (*honk*)
Right in Nintendo's face!
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:50 pm Reply with quote
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:

Secondly, CERO is far worse than Nintendo of America. They got rid of *gameplay* elements in Fallout 3 based on Hiroshima. Yes, *gameplay* elements that alter how the game is *played*.

If you're talking about the "Power Of the Atom" mission being altered in the Japanese version of Fallout 3 that one was on Bethesda not Cero. And that's not a gameplay element but more of a storyline element being altered game plays mostly the same even with that change.

NearEasternerJ1 wrote:
Also, CERO censor their own games far worse than what some U.S. subsidiary does.

As far as I know no ratings board in any country be it the U.S., Japan, or Australia has dominion over content being edited in a game all that is usually left up to the developers and or the publishers.

NearEasternerJ1 wrote:

It's like black on black murder in the US, Canada and London. People don't care about self-harm, even when it's the majority, but will quickly point fingers at "police brutality" or "racism". You're acting like BLM.

I'm really interested to know what could've possibly compelled you to compare people complaining about video game companies needlessly editing video games. To both black on black violence and to a movement dedicated to speaking out on police killing and brutalizing civilians with no probable cause. The latter of which you seemingly see in a malicious way.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Despite how much I grinned seeing the Undertaker pic how about we all drop the OT social commentary and get back on topic folks. Thanks.
Haterater

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:08 pm Reply with quote
If there must be costume censorship, this is the way to go. I like that they didn't just try to take the old costumes and add extra stuff to make it less risqué like Bravely Default. These make it more special to me and more easter egg type of deal.
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:18 pm Reply with quote
B00m23 wrote:
Shippoyasha wrote:
You know, speaking of censorship and boycotts, even if that may be a policy for some, that is a personal choice individuals will have to make.

I was pissed off at Dungeon Travelers 2 being a few images away from being a perfect port. Even worse that the images they changes were actually pretty tame compared to some that made it.

But I still recommend that game because it is such a terrific game. Same with Fatal Frame.

That being said, just supporting the games doesn't mean people shouldn't let their gripes about censorship be unheard.

I just don't understand why they don't allow discerning players to use OPTIONAL costumes when they want. If they want to gate it further, just let them be downloadable for adult players.

It is a touchy subject I know, in regards to boycotts. I don't want games to go the DOAX3 route of simply ignoring the western market entirely. But at the same time, it is worth reaching out to companies to let them know we want loyal ports.

Lol. What happened to Dungeon Travelers could barely be considered "censorship"

Sorry, I disagree. They openly said they were changing character attire because of fears over ratings boards, even when they didn't contact the ratings boards themselves. The thing is, it's not censorship from the outside but within.
Charagon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:32 pm Reply with quote
The biggest issue here is that Nintendo has put the consumer in a bad position. If you want more games like this, you have to show your support for them. But if you show your support for the game, you have to give unwilling support for Nintendo's censorship.

This is why you should always err on the side of "not taking content out of a game." It's a lot better to tell somebody that might be offended at the content to just ignore it than to tell somebody else they can't have it at all.

Nintendo is putting the bulk of the game's target audience in a lose/lose situation, which is a perfectly rational and valid reason to be upset.

Moreover, this sort of controversy only makes it less likely for future games to be released. I was on the fence with the game. I enjoyed the demo and may have bought it eventually, but this has pretty much soured me on the whole thing.

Not that I'm THAT upset about it, it's just the bar to get me to pass on a game is just that low. I've got 150 games in my Steam library I've never touched. I can afford to be incredibly picky about what full priced titles I buy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8