• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Blasting Away

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Borderite92

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Finally, an RPG that manages to get continuing storyline out. Now if same could be done for Shining Force 3 and its two following games.
Paiprince

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:53 am Reply with quote
One of the huge stumbling blocks why light gun games are struggling is because of the advent of the FPS. I mean, why purchase a clunky plastic device that barely works for only a few games, when you can just get the ol' KB/M or controller? It really was an issue of practicality. Rail shooters had the potential to evolve from the Elemental Gearbolt foundation, it's just that the genre requires too much financial investment to gamers.

Not to say the genre is completely dead. Gal Gun, a rail shooter where you don't kill things, but make girls lovestruck, is an interesting take combining rail gun action to VN or date sim structure. Guess what? The sequel is coming overseas. I can't wait.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:
One of the huge stumbling blocks why light gun games are struggling is because of the advent of the FPS. I mean, why purchase a clunky plastic device that barely works for only a few games, when you can just get the ol' KB/M or controller? It really was an issue of practicality. Rail shooters had the potential to evolve from the Elemental Gearbolt foundation, it's just that the genre requires too much financial investment to gamers.

The Wii kind of made your argument of "buying a barely-used peripheral" moot, since the Wiimote was the main controller & worked very well as a light-gun replacement. In fact, the Wii had a bunch of rail shooters on it that were sold for super cheap alongside the more notable games in the genre released for the console.

I'd argue that the PS Move worked very well, too, and the fact that other games supported it made it more than just a "rail gun peripheral". Still, the Move definitely didn't appeal to most gamers, & I can understand that.

As for the rail shooter genre itself, I'm all for expanding upon it & making more out of it, but there's also just a sheer, visceral fun to be had with a good rail shooter. I'm happy to own House of the Dead III, 4, & Overkill on my PS3, & I wish HotD2 was on it as well (HotD1 won't ever happen), & I look forward to playing the other rail shooters I've purchased for my PS3 but held off on playing until I bought a PS Move & camera for cheap.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:02 am Reply with quote
Traditional light guns only worked with CRT monitors and TVs. Never tried any of the motion control ones.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:07 am Reply with quote
Hmm, I'm surprised the column overlooked the Sega Master System's fairly well-supported Light Phaser gun, the light gun with an anime connection in that the guns in the Sega-backed anime Zillion were modeled on it.

Probably my favourite of the bunch was Rambo III (an Operation Wolf clone) but I also enjoyed at least Gangster Town, Shooting Gallery, and, of course, one of the 2-in-1 cartridge pack-in games that came with the Master System itself, Safari Hunt. I know there were several more light gun games on the Master System, but the one place near me that rented out Sega Master System games didn't have that great a selection.

On a bit of a tangent, I've been scouring Value Village thrift stores for 5" to 7" portable color TV sets with the RCA connectors to play my old console games from the Master System to the Dreamcast in my room, and, of course, I'm looking for CRT TV's specifically just so I can play Master System and Dreamcast light gun games. So far, all I can ever find is portable black-and-white sets (of which I have one I bought from Radio Shack in the 1990s already, but it lacks the RCA inputs) or 14" colour sets, which are too big for the space I'm planning to use it in (and I'm also quite enamored with the idea of playing old console games on a tiny CRT screen). I could even watch over-the-air TV broadcasts on it as I do have an ATSC convertor box.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:14 am Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:
Not to say the genre is completely dead. Gal Gun, a rail shooter where you don't kill things, but make girls lovestruck, is an interesting take combining rail gun action to VN or date sim structure. Guess what? The sequel is coming overseas. I can't wait.

There's also Nintendo re-releasing Duck Hunt for the Virtual Console using the Wii Remote as the Zapper substitute. It's a re-release, but Nintendo doing even that indicates someone believes a light gun audience still exists. (It was likely also done as a promotion for Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS though, as Duck Hunt characters are playable in it.)
Ebb1993

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:28 am Reply with quote
Quote:
“This is why gun shooters should never be released in the home—they're play-once arcade fodder.”

Okay, now THAT was a retarded statement right there, what Gamefan's Nick Des Berres said. How the heck would I be able to enjoy playing the Time Crisis video games in the comfort of my own home?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2