• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Wow... I think I actually like Rumbling Hearts.

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:04 am Reply with quote
I got the latest issue of Newtype USA yesterday (I was so glad an episode of Nerima Daikon Brothers was on there, after the Shelf Life review I wanted to watch it and it does not disappoint), and I came across a little surprise on the DVD. A series called Rumbling Hearts. Now I knew nothing about this show, I had only heard of the title and seen the cover art for the first DVD and based on the looks alone I thought it would be a nice fluff show (I've been looking for one of those lately). Man was I wrong. The first episode is probably by no means special, and thinking of the elements in it it's probably nothing that stands out (just a simple love triangle). But for some reason this show has grabbed me. Maybe it's the slow pacing or the soft piano that plays during most scenes, but this a show that seems set up to not only just tug at one's heartstrings, but rip them out. I got a sense of real emotion out of the characters, and given what I have been watching lately this was very refreshing and a welcome change of pace. Although because I read the review (second ep. spoilers) spoiler[I'm already feeling bad for Haruka since she I know she gets in that wreck. Just when things were starting to work out for her.] I may have to get an extra tissue box to set aside for when the DVDs are released. Did anyone else really get into this series or am I just getting something that really isn't there?
bahumut75

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:34 am Reply with quote
No, there definately is something there. I don't really know what I was expecting when I started this series, but it turned out to be way different than what I thought it was going to be - in a good way. This show is actually in my top 10, so you can read my full comment on it if you wish, but keeping it short I really got attached to the characters, and at least for me there were some really tearjerking moments, and I think the whole thing was done very well. Needless to say, I loved it.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:30 am Reply with quote
I saw the same episode and gave in and ordered it. (Just found out that TSRI is shipping it to me Very Happy )

I agree, it looks good...very good. I believe that it is currently one of Zalis' favorites right now, since he also said that I should get it.

I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of it and I may make a special trip to Costco for extra Kleenix! Rolling Eyes Embarassed Laughing
Jabberwock

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:32 am Reply with quote
I swear, I have tried to watch this series about 4 times now and have failed every time. I get to about episode 6-7 and I just can't continue on. Its not that I dislike it so much as I just can't take it. At least, that's how it is if I remember correctly. I haven't given it a watch attempt in a while so maybe its about time to finish it up Confused I pretty much finish everything that I start watching, with only one title so far that I refuse to finish, The SoulTaker. Maybe I should just start where I left off rather than starting over, since that doesn't seem to work...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:52 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
I agree, it looks good...very good. I believe that it is currently one of Zalis' favorites right now, since he also said that I should get it.
Well, I just hope that I (and the series) won't disappoint you Very Happy
TranceLimit174 wrote:
Did anyone else really get into this series or am I just getting something that really isn't there?
As LydiaDianne says, it's one of my favorites, and will probably stay pretty high up there even when the list gets revamped. Needless to say, I really got into the series and while I can't say I "enjoyed" (in the sense of enjoyment/fun/laughter) RH, it was just a powerful experience overall.

For the most part, I've seen two reactions to Rumbling Hearts among those who saw the fansubs:
"This show is so amazingly moving, I really connected to the characters and cried my eyes out."
Or...
"This is the most overrated hunk of soap opera melodrama I've ever seen, the characters are communcation-impaired morons and it's just another eroge adaptation anime."

In short, it's "love-it-or-hate-it," not the kind of series that makes people say, "Oh, that was okay, nothing too special, but a decent way to pass 14 episodes worth of time." I've never seen this mythical middle ground, anyway. At any rate, I'm glad to see so many people interested in RH on the legitimate, DVD-buying side of the fence--I'm afraid that poor sales will cause the companies to write off shows of this nature as "The fansub crowd loves it but won't buy it, and the mainstream crowd isn't interested."
peko

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:52 am Reply with quote
I liked it too. It's been a while since I watched it but I remember feeling so sorry for Mizuki.

For me it's not soap-y or melodramatic at all, i mostly found it a quite realistic show about how life doesn't turn out as fantastic as you imagined in high school/college.

I really loved the ending theme as well.

Somehow though I think the English title for the show does indicate something more 'blah' or sentimental than the original name.
unhealthyman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Well, the thread I started Why are characters in romance anime so stupid? was in response to me watching it up to about episode 8. (Sorry if this is patronising but in case you didn't know KGNE = Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien = Rumbling Hearts.)

Not to put a dampener on it all, but I enjoyed the first 2 episodes a lot, but I think it lost its way a bit later - for the reasons I put in my post.

However, my post isn't really to be interpreted as me hating the show - I watch soaps as well which make me angry or irritated but I still like them. The fact that it makes me irritated shows that it is involving me on some level.

But I think that some of the most powerful moments are in the first 2 or 3 episode and then the later ones seem a bit more of a cop out.

It's also very melodramatic, so it depends if you like that kind of thing.
one3rd

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:40 pm Reply with quote
I knew from the very beginning of the show what it would be like. And I was absolutely right. Standard personality deficient but nice guy male lead and tsundere girl like each other but won't admit it. Moe girl likes Mr. Bland and does the whole confession thing. The two start dating even though he doesn't actually like her that much. Angst ensues. The series would have been better off if it had been cut to four episodes because the angst in the middle is pretty pointless. It's not a bad series, but I don't think it's nearly as good as some people say it is.
aya_honda

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Ok, I have watched this series some time ago (a month or so) but I will have to agree with Zalis116, namely that there are two types of reactions regarding this anime. Mine was part of the second type of attitudes. I watched all the series but even now I'm wondering why the hell I have done such a thing.

At the beginning of the anime I was thinking (or at least I was hoping) that the story wouldn't get so stereotypical but it did. I mean, the main male character (forgot his name and I didn't particularly liked him anyway) is irritating: spoiler[we all know whom he likes from the very beginning and yet we see him choosing the least likely person and we know that this is going to end bad. He does a series of mistakes including forgetting about the dates with his so-called girlfriend just to be with the other girl. I mean, he never decides himself: he always doubts and he really annoyed me]

On the other hand we have the girls: spoiler[one is the shy type that only finds the courage through her best friend, who likes the boy or takes a real interest in him only after he becames another woman's man. One is just to blind to see the reality in front of her eyes, the other one is just ... I don't know how to put it.... blind in a different manner.]

There are many issues discussed in this series, (issues connected with the life of any couple), but all these serious aspects are shadowed by the over-dramatic tone of it. I have a lot of patience but by the end of the series I was already getting really fed up with everything: spoiler[ with the little sister's remarks and explosions, with both girls holding on to this man who was uncapable to decide between them from the very beginning. ]

And overrall, the ending is not very shocking: it was expected from the very beginning. I was really disappointed in this anime. Sorry to say this.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
For the most part, I've seen two reactions to Rumbling Hearts among those who saw the fansubs:
"This show is so amazingly moving, I really connected to the characters and cried my eyes out."
Or...
"This is the most overrated hunk of soap opera melodrama I've ever seen, the characters are communcation-impaired morons and it's just another eroge adaptation anime."

Ya, that's pretty true... I see more hate for it on this site than most others though. Personally, I fell in love with it. It's still one of my favorites. Maybe it's just because I had next to zero back knowledge about it when I saw it, and it was one of my earlier romance anime. All of the things people say about it being so unrealistic, and how people wouldn't act like that in real life completely went by me while watching it, because I was so into the drama, it just never came to mind... I do admit that some of it isn't that realistic, but I was so into it that I didn't even notice those aspects. I am also a sucker for drama. Still strong on my decision in giving it a "masterpiece" rating too...
Nomigid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:27 pm Reply with quote
I, too just watched the first episode of "Rumbling Hearts" on the DVD from Newtype, and was quite surprised at how well done this show is.
I can not say just what part of this show I like the best, but it feels like there are true emotions behind the anime, it is like this can really happen.
This is one of the reasons I ordered the first DVD, and will order the rest ,too.
blind_assassin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:34 pm Reply with quote
I liked the first part of the series more than what it became. Not to say it was bad but it got sort of melodramatic and kind of depressing in a bad way (meaning not a way that drew you in but just kind of gave a blase feeling of melancholy). I guess I was just sort of pumped for a sappy romance given the first few episodes.

The only thing that really made me angry about the show was how indecisive everyone becomes. spoiler[The cheating and backstabbing didn't help either. I'm a pretty reasonable guy on most things but I think cheaters are pretty much the lowest form of scum, just above pedophiles and people who do animals and corpses.]
BladeWind

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:40 am Reply with quote
While I personally agree with some of the some what negative comments here so far. I'm just another one of those people who enjoyed watching this anime. In fact, this is the very anime that attracted me into watching more anime in the first place! That almost has to say something about the anime itself; while the ending was quite predictable, the makers could have easily chosen a different ending (the Haruka ending?).

Also I really did not expect a spoiler[car crash in ep.2], it was a moment where tears started flowing for me and was something that hasn't happened to me before so I was quite suprised Embarassed . There's also something else behind this anime that I can't explain, it was as if I saw life through a fresh pair of eyes after watching the series and that its left a definite mark in my mind. Confused
one3rd

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:42 am Reply with quote
BladeWind wrote:
Also I really did not expect a spoiler[car crash in ep.2]

You haven't seen enough J-drama.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:19 pm Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:
BladeWind wrote:
Also I really did not expect a spoiler[car crash in ep.2]

You haven't seen enough J-drama.

I thought it was a rather "new" idea. But I don't really watch much drama.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 12