• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sacred Seven (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:32 am Reply with quote
Sacred Seven

Wiki wrote:
Plot Summary: The stage is a certain port city within the Kantou region. There resides Tandouji Arma, who lives a lonely and solitary life. One day, he is approached by Aiba Ruri who asks for his help, for the power of the Sacred Seven which resides within Arma. However, Arma turns her away. In the past, Arma had hurt people with that power. Since that moment, he had foresworn it. But when the peaceful city is attacked by a monster, Arma reluctantly decides to use the Sacred Seven. However, his powers go berserk and the situation becomes even more dire. At that moment, Ruri comes to his aid.

Reminded me of Deadman Wonderland and Legend of the Legendary Heroes, except this is most likely gonna have far less violence. Character design is similar to Code Geass.

Anyway, it was better than expected, but then again, first episodes are usually fairly delusive. Also, he went straight from spoiler[berserk to standard hero] it seems. What a shame. But then again, it doesn't look like the former is very popular.
Eivion

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Thought the first episode was decent enough. Not really sure in what way its reminiscent of Deadman Wonderland or Legend of Legendary Heroes.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Not sure about the Deadman Wonderland comparison either, but I'm assuming the character who has a lot of power that he doesn't like because he's afraid that power will hurt other people is the LotLH reference.
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Let's see... a psycho with a split personality and superpowers wearing red. Ring any bells? Wink
Though it most likely won't be appearing again thanks to a certain buzz killer.

Not much to discuss about the plot, but I had sorta given up hope when the maids appeared. But it didn't bother me much later on.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:14 pm Reply with quote
I felt like the show as aiming to be a Star Driver, and ended up merely combining the worst parts of Demonbane (sans likeable characters), Busou Renkin (without the goofy humor), and Ayakashi (this one, which was pretty much all "worst parts"). I was especially perturbed by relative unimportance with which the narrative treated spoiler[deaths of dozens of innocent bystanders, compared to the potential of death for any given named character].

I think we're supposed to feel sympathy for him being isolated from his peers, but it looks like he's trying his hardest to ensure things stay that way, so... no.

I would totally rather watch the show that the folks who put together the opening animation would create.
Eivion

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:38 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Let's see... a psycho with a split personality and superpowers wearing red. Ring any bells? Wink
Though it most likely won't be appearing again thanks to a certain buzz killer.

That wasn't a split personality so much as uncontrollable power and rage.
SethMosrite

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Reminds me a bit of the Guyver tv series. I found the characters designs ugly and there seems to be a phallic theme going on.
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:07 am Reply with quote
Eivion wrote:
That wasn't a split personality so much as uncontrollable power and rage.

Not quite. That was the dark stone's personification. I just find it easier to describe 2 minds in one body as split personality.

And yes, it does remind me of Guyver as well.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:43 pm Reply with quote
This show definitely caught my interest. I'm not liking the character designs too much but I think they'll grow on me. Not liking the spoiler[second form much either because it doesn't conceal his identity and the berserk form looked cooler anyways.] Like others, the maid army made me chuckle a few times and the main character seems to be written well. He has spoiler[a good reason for hating his power but I think the "everyone fears him" thing has been used too much.] I can forgive the show for using that though.

Gah, I had to resort to illegal means to join the discussion - Why couldn't Bandai decide to stream it at most 3 days after the original broadcast?! Waiting 6 days feels too long when you actually like a show.
jsc315

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:23 am Reply with quote
I don't know why but I loved the first episode. Most of the characters did not annoy me, they were over the age of 14, and didn't act like dumbasses. The weird Robot/God was kind of neat, not sure what to make of it yet. There is a bit of a hidden past and mystery, and I always enjoy that in my anime. I'm not really sure what to make of this show yet, but I'll keep watching.

I'll have to see more obviously to come to a more clear conclusion, but for the most part I really enjoyed the first episode a lot!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:50 am Reply with quote
I also loved the first episode. I actually liked the character designs, although the guys evil form is much cooler than his new form. When I first saw him, I was like wtf is this guy Lelouch's bro or something. But logn and behold the show main animator is the same as Code Geass.
jsc315

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:23 pm Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
I also loved the first episode. I actually liked the character designs, although the guys evil form is much cooler than his new form. When I first saw him, I was like wtf is this guy Lelouch's bro or something. But logn and behold the show main animator is the same as Code Geass.

Actually I think It looks fine. Has more of a realistic look to the characters at least. Some of the character designs remind me of Hunter X Hunter but I could just be crazy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PrimalX3

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:59 pm Reply with quote
This show is absolute incredible. I like the armor designs, both the red version and the silver version. I like the character designs and setting, and the monster they had to fight.

This show is just great. Very Happy I find it very interesting and hope to see more.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:37 am Reply with quote
jsc315 wrote:
WhiteHairGirls wrote:

Actually I think It looks fine. Has more of a realistic look to the characters at least. Some of the character designs remind me of Hunter X Hunter but I could just be crazy.

If you are talking about Greed Island hxh or just Biscuit, maybe.
Sacred Seven has an extreme Code Geass feel to it's art and not just one character or two.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:06 pm Reply with quote
I always feel a little bit cheated/disappointed when the hero goes from diffident/clueless mode straight into fighting/competent mode by just going through the transformation scene. That's what Tandoji does. All Ruri has to do is basically punch a button (insert a stone, whatever) and he is a whole different person, able to defend himself, her, and defeat the enemy without breaking a sweat.

As for Ruri herself, she is supposedly a teenager, an orphan and rich, who became CEO of her parent's estate and transforms it into a private clandestine paramilitary defense agency. Apparently her parents were killed 17 years ago when the stones arrived, but she was a few years old by then (see the picture of her and her sister with her parents) so she's actually a 20-something not a teenager.

And their idea of fan service is all of Ruri's retainers except that one guy are in maid outfits.

I don't have a lot of hope for this show. It's a mess.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4