• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shojo magazine recs?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manapear

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Not sure if this should be its own thread or not, but. . . I'm heading to Kinokuniya on Saturday and am going to pick up a few shojo magazines. Last time I picked up Ribon and Asuka, and I may get them again, but I want to check out a few more.

I'm not liking Nakayoshi's current line-up, so I probably won't get it (unless it has a cute/handy furoku, lol), and I'm pretty ambivalent on Bessatsu Margaret, Bessatsu Friend and Dessert right now.

I'm picking up the magazines mostly for the art (I'm a sucker for pretty art), but a little for the story and to practice my Japanese.

If it helps at all, the mangaka I most enjoy following at the moment are:
- Higuchi Tachibana
- Arina Tanemura
- Peach-Pit

Planning on picking up Kageki Shojo (the older volume, and the new one if it's out), as well as Kigurumi Guardians. If anyone has any reccs for volumes, I'm interested in them too (one-shot, long, short, ongoing; all are fine).
st_owly

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:17 pm Reply with quote
I would try Margaret (not Bessatsu), Hana to Yume and LaLa, based on the artists you listed. I don't know what the current series are like though. I think they all have furigana too.
manapear

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Ohh, thanks! I was thinking HtY (for Kamisama Hajimemashite and Yona), but I forgot about LaLa. Thanks! ^u^
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Melody is the one 31 Ai Dream runs in......but it's not in there every month.

I would check out Ciao too....if you don't mind diabeetus. Anime hyper Like it's REALLY cutesy-cutesy....but I personally love that crap. Anime hyper
lys

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:00 pm Reply with quote
(may be too late now if you already went today, but for future reference)

If you're interested in practicing your Japanese, the spinoff magazines might be especially satisfying: The Hana to Yume, LaLaDX... Margaret had a spinoff like that too... (and probably the others but I am a HtY/Betsuma fan myself so I don't pay the others as much attention) These magazines run more one-shots, so you get to read a whole story rather than just one tantalizing bite (chapter) of an ongoing series. Visually, they're usually thicker and shorter editions than the "main" HtY, LaLa, Margaret etc. magazines.
manapear

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:

lys wrote:

Thank you both!

I love cutesy stuff too, so I will totally check out Ciao next time~! x'D

Ahhh, I forgot about the spin-offs for some. Didn't even realize HtY had a The one, so I will remember that! Thank you, that will work well~.

It might be January before I go back, but having these reccs still helps. I look forward to checking them out! ♥
manapear

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:20 am Reply with quote
Thanks for all the recs last time, everyone!

I'm going today (Saturday) for my B-day, and just wondering if there are any series that just started that people like, and which magazine it's in.

Definitely getting Ciao, Asuka and likely Ribon. If there are good titles in spin-off magazines that anyone suggests, I'd love to know which~.

Also, if anyone follows Aria, Comic Gene and Sylph, and can say if they're worth picking up right now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1