• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Ghost in the Shell: Arise Blu-Ray

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:38 am Reply with quote
There's thins thign about motoko's boyrfriends/girlfriends they are persons she ahs sex with, she does not get emotionally involved with them; it's like that in SAC as well as the manga and movies.
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:24 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
There's thins thign about motoko's boyrfriends/girlfriends they are persons she ahs sex with, she does not get emotionally involved with them; it's like that in SAC as well as the manga and movies.

But that's not really how it was presented in arise, at time she seemed actually in love with the guy, then other she seemed to not care that much about him. It wasn't that well handle really (spoiler for next episode) spoiler[especially since everyone and there mother could tell he was gonna turn evil].
Key

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, episode 3 pretty clearly played it as if it was about much more than just mind-sex.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animerican14

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Just found out yesterday that the new Ghost in the Shell film is playing at the local Hi-Pointe Theater for the next few days (what hardly any anime besides Ghibli films play in St. Louis WHAT). And it was purely by chance, as I was checking theater times for a completely unrelated movie, that I saw it listed to begin with. I've only seen the first installment of ARISE on Netflix just yesterday, but I don't know if i'm going to find time to see episodes 2-4 before the theater stops showing the film.

Er, anyway. Point is, from the vague and brief stuff I've read about this movie, it…. apparently continues on from the story of ARISE? As in, you need to see Episodes 1-4 to really get it? Might the 4th episode end in such a way that you absolutely *need* the new Film to finish off the hanging threads? Or, judging by the fairly 'stand-alone' nature of these episodes, might I presume that the movie will also work well standalone? Might Episodes 1-4 altogether feel self-contained enough that the Film doesn't have to just be watched as a continuation of ARISE?

Don't want to drive myself crazy trying to catch-up, especially if that may be unnecessary. I imagine that there will be some theater-goers who's only seen the very first GitS film and/or Innocence and/or Stand-Alone Complex.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:48 pm Reply with quote
I pretty much have the same impressions as the review. The idea of an episode/border around Motoko having a boyfriend is something that hasn't been done before in any of the anime adaptations and is really interesting but the execution left a lot to be desired. I can't explain it but the way Motoko's relationship was portrayed just felt really flat. Theron makes a good point that after Motoko spoiler[has to shoot her boyfriend] there's really no lasting effect. She sorta just shrugs it off and it's back to business as usual, which really lessens the impact.

That said, I really liked the last episode, especially the opening and ending. The opening minutes with the spoiler[cops shooting the demonstrators] was pretty shocking and I liked those scenes at the very end where you see all the section 9 members relaxing. I also liked the whole Wizard of Oz motif. Technically, Production I.G. rarely disappoints. The animation looks great and while the soundtrack isn't as memorable as the movies or SAC, it works with the aesthetic of the show. The dub is great as well. Elizabeth Maxwell is a worthy choice as a younger Motoko and I think Chris Sabat is a good fit as a younger Batou.

Except for the flimsy box, the slipcover art looks good and those booklets are really great. The liner notes and essays were a lot more detailed than I expected, definitely a good thing.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Animerican14 wrote:
Might the 4th episode end in such a way that you absolutely *need* the new Film to finish off the hanging threads? Or, judging by the fairly 'stand-alone' nature of these episodes, might I presume that the movie will also work well standalone? Might Episodes 1-4 altogether feel self-contained enough that the Film doesn't have to just be watched as a continuation of ARISE?

I'm actually going to see the movie later tonight (west coast time). You're right, the Arise episodes are pretty much stand-alone and I bet the majority of the crowd probably have only watched the original. If you really want, I might either just watch the 4th episode, or episodes 9 and 10 of Alternative Architecture. Personally, I think the last two eps of AA are more of a setup for the movie than the 4th episode.

{Merged serial posts. ~nobahn}
anddo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:03 pm Reply with quote
The ending of TNM spoiler[is actually the beginning of the manga] so it's okay to watch it standalone, though watching Pyrophoric Cult (OVA episode 5/AAA episodes 9 and 10) is encouraged.
gwdone

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:07 pm Reply with quote
I have my tickets for tomorrow night!!!! woooooo! It's the first Ghost in the Shell I've ever seen on big screen! I'm very fired up!!! As far as Arise,, I enjoy them all. I don't get quite so anal about every frame of animation nor story line, I just let my mind go and enjoy the cutting edge material. I'm just glad it's still going on with vigor.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:47 pm Reply with quote
I will be seeing the new movie myself tomorrow (Wednesday) night and will be doing a review on it. Will be sure to report how relevant (or not) the Arise episodes are to it.
jdnation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Got all 4 episodes on blu-ray.

However there is technically a 5th episode.

They made this after they aplit the 4 ep OVAs in 8 eps and then tacked on a 9th & 10th which is technically together the 5th.

How is that going to release?

Will they bundle that with the film in another 2-pack?
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:55 am Reply with quote
Why was Mary Elizabeth McGlynn in this dub, but not as Motoko? It's odd she's here in any case. Say what you want about her "not fitting Motoko" or "sounding too old", but having Sabat as Batou doesn't help. It's not like Sabat's voice is "higher pitched" than Richard Epcar's. But yeah, the dub is solid. It doesn't hold a candle to the (Animaze) SAC dubs or Innocence, but then again, few dubs (or subs even) do. It's still a damn good effort. The rookie Elizabeth Maxwell does her role really well. Did I mention she's hot in real life as well?
braves

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:43 am Reply with quote
For those who are wondering, you need to watch episodes 9-10 of GITS: Arise - Alternative Architecture along with the four Arise OVAs in order to understand the new GITS movie. The movie is just the finale for the overall Arise plot--it ties up all of the loose ends. You can guess the gist of the things without watching any of the previous material, but the relationships and plot points will seem foreign to you if you haven't watched the entirety of Arise.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Saffire

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:53 am Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:
Got all 4 episodes on blu-ray.

However there is technically a 5th episode.

They made this after they aplit the 4 ep OVAs in 8 eps and then tacked on a 9th & 10th which is technically together the 5th.

How is that going to release?

Will they bundle that with the film in another 2-pack?
The new stuff isn't considered an OVA and is only available as part of the Alternative Architecture version, AFAIK. It's available streaming on Funimation.
anddo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:03 pm Reply with quote
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:
Why was Mary Elizabeth McGlynn in this dub, but not as Motoko?

Major spoilers for TNM here but spoiler[Mary Elizabeth McGlynn voices Kurtz, who is the secret identity of the "fake" Kusanagi who appears in the film, which means that technically speaking we do hear McGlynn voice a version of the Major which is kind of neat.]

Saffire wrote:
The new stuff isn't considered an OVA and is only available as part of the Alternative Architecture version, AFAIK. It's available streaming on Funimation.

Nah, the Pyrophoric Cult episode is indeed border 5 of the OVA, but was first seen separated into those two AAA episodes early in the year. The uncut version of that border was released standalone in August.

Last edited by anddo on Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
jdnation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Saffire wrote:

Yeah I saw it on the Funimation App. I'd like to own it physically though along with the dub. So I hope they release it as another 2-pack along with the new movie.
braves

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Anddo wrote:
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:
Why was Mary Elizabeth McGlynn in this dub, but not as Motoko?

Major spoilers here
You should clarify that the spoilers you posted are for the new GITS movie, not for episodes 3-4 of Arise. People will assume otherwise given the nature of this thread. ^^'
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2