• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Active Raid (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:01 am Reply with quote
I kind of liked this because it's sort of dumb but it's fun to watch. I love mecha and tokusatsu so the show works well for me. The character designs look really good to me as well. I mean, the way the whole first episode develops feels like the formulaic police drama but the whole goofy aspect of the show drew me in. One thing I really do enjoy about the show is the technical aspect it focuses on -- how by-the-book the new recruit is, and the how the operations were carried out (requesting orders and permission, etc.). But, I can also feel that some of the goofiness, the jokes, can be quite weary if repeated too much. I'll stick with this for a bit to see how it goes.
Kamagor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:47 pm Reply with quote
I couldn't get through the first episode. Nothing clicked on this. It just all felt very generic, I didn't get any sort of hook out of it to hold me. There were a bunch of characters and it just chucks them all at you very quickly, to the point that they started talking about personality traits and I thought we were seriously going to have the characters explain what their tropes were lol
jroa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:15 am Reply with quote
Hey, I certainly can't comment on your own interests, since we all have our preferences and tolerances, yet I will say that for me something isn't truly "generic" when it isn't being repeated almost every other season. Perhaps if we were sitting back in the nineties, when this kind of show was a lot more common in anime programming, but we aren't. At this point, it's way more of an occasional event or an outright rarity than something commonplace.

I do acknowledge that the first episode here basically cut a quick swath across the main cast of characters in order to present as many of them as possible and have each show off a quirk or trait, without focusing strongly enough on perhaps one or two as a proper anchor to make for a more mainstream-friendly debut (plus Asami's basic personality isn't a popular one so that was going to be an even harder sell on the surface, before we ever got to know anything else about her).

I didn't mind because for me the jokes were sufficiently funny, period, but I can see there are people who want/need that in order to care. It is also possible to argue that certain lines and interactions did briefly hint at less obvious characteristics, yet I would rather not speculate too much.

But I also believe, at the end of the day, it's pretty clear that one or two immediately obvious traits don't have to define a character forever. Even in more popular shows a lot of the cast can and often does give off that same initial impression, sometimes for the vast majority of a season, at least until they start to become the center of attention for an episode or more. This is especially true of standard comedy series and I think it also applies to lighthearted productions such as this. Not that you need to agree with me, of course.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:55 pm Reply with quote
I thought Section 8 was supposed to be a bunch of incompetent misfits. All the mecha fol-de-rol aside they seemed pretty efficient and competent to me. And they seemed to follow the law to the letter and got the job done.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:49 am Reply with quote
Under military regulations in effect during the US occupation of Japan, a "Section 8" was a discharge for mental unfitness. The regulations have since been changed, but the term may still be remembered in Japan.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:01 am Reply with quote
Episode 2:

Well okay, I think this episode was slightly better than the previous but I'm not feeling it still. The comedy is awkward and I wonder if there will be an expanded story soon. The police enforcement and law themes are serious concepts yet the show is pretty lighthearted. I hope the story gets darker soon. Also, this show has like 24 episodes so I hope we get at least some characterization.

On another note, I find the ED theme to be kinda cute for some reason with the little robot girl running.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:39 pm Reply with quote
I love how the mecha OS is full of spam Laughing They have earned my respect just for that joke.

The second episode was a lot better... Which isn't saying much, since the first episode was horrible. I'll give it a couple more episodes to prove itself.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:15 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
They have earned my respect just for that joke.

I think that was a jab at the laptop/PC makers who install all sorts of Ad-ware on the systems they sell you.

AR is a mixed bag for sure but I am rather entertained by watching it so I guess I will stick around for the whole season. If I had to pick a low point so far it would be the "mystery/mysterious bad guy in his lair with the sort of insipid loli trope." Seriously the only thing they missed is having him sip a goblet of wine.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:19 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

Wasn't it funny when the tech set off a false alarm that there was an emergency, and then when she was changing he purposely walked in on her so that he could force her to let him mod her technology thing because she was now in vulnerable position? What, you mean that isn't funny that an outside tech staff could pull a false alarm, and did something that actually would deserve getting in trouble for sexual harassment? I mean we do have a lot of accidental walk ins of people changing in anime, but this guy did it on purpose.

It was great that our lead character was shown to actually be quite capable, and that she was one that went for the plan with the best outcome to save a hostage. But then there was the pop-up thing, which might make her look foolish, but probably also questions why in the world they could send her out without doing some sort field test that it worked before this.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:27 am Reply with quote
Episode 3:

Wait, wait...Amu is a guy? LOL. I would've been fooled if they didn't tell me. Weird episode. The comedy feels wacky but I do like the action somewhat. Kazari cosplaying as an idol was also priceless...

But for this episode, I think that it went a bit too gimmicky. Hope it can improve more but it was definitely amusing in a way.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:59 pm Reply with quote
I liked the cosplaying punishment scene and found the idol who turns out to be a trap thing funny. Also had a great laugh from the younger sister attempting mouth to mouth feeding. Those were the highlights of the episode.

While I wasn't too impress by the fight scenes, I thought the idea of the hackers (group?) interesting because it's setting up antagonists for Unit 8. I would like to know more about their ideology and why they don't really like Unit 8 so hopefully the show gets into that. My friend doesn't quite enjoy the pacing of the show thus far; he claims it's a bit slow due to the villain of the week format. I understand why he feels problems with it but I think with this episode giving some insight to Mythos or whomever, the show will maybe and hopefully exit the villain of the week format soon.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:05 am Reply with quote
EmbraceMe wrote:
Also had a great laugh from the younger sister attempting mouth to mouth feeding. Those were the highlights of the episode.

I don't think it was his sister, more like he is rich and hired a girl to play the role of an anime like sister. The girl thought that clearly that must mean he is hiring her to complete desires like including sexual nature, but he got angry because wants his anime like little sister characters not to "act like a slut". Is it better? I think he appears extra delusional as a shut in with inflated opinions "purity", and trying to lash out at authority.

At the very least it was brought to attention that she could have called that punishment game as harassment, because that is what it was. The need to pretend to be the idol does not make a huge amount of sense, apparently they could keep it as long as they were hacked in, but couldn't they have just allowed him to get out of the suit after they were in control of it? If anything there was no need to distract him. And I also don't get how the news could come to the conclusion they did. And did they even cause any damage this time? I wonder what the procedure was for dealing with rogue suit users before they relied on the one mobile unit?
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I wonder what the procedure was for dealing with rogue suit users before they relied on the one mobile unit?

It is a head scratcher as even the first episode displayed the normal law enforcement is powerless against industrial grade powered armor.

It could be a matter of how the public perceive the supposed "lax" nature of our protagonist's squad, while the viewer understands that they are in fact acting restrained the in universe public thinks it is the wild west when it comes to the heroes' policy of taking down rogue mechs.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:08 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

I don't think it was his sister, more like he is rich and hired a girl to play the role of an anime like sister. The girl thought that clearly that must mean he is hiring her to complete desires like including sexual nature, but he got angry because wants his anime like little sister characters not to "act like a slut". Is it better? I think he appears extra delusional as a shut in with inflated opinions "purity", and trying to lash out at authority.

I'll stick with the idea that they're legitimately blood related at this point. Laughing It's much more fun[nier] that way.

I really hope these guys don't turn out to be the very bored knowledgeable hacker types. Man, what a disappointment that would be. It seems to be turning out that way from how the episode ended with Mythos' comment but I hope there's much more to it than boredom.

I definitely agree with you on how the news came to their conclusion especially if she witnessed how things ended. But, it's not too far of a stretch from reality -- there are a lot of anti-police sentiments out here in America and people try their hardest to twist a story to give a negative image of the police force.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:46 pm Reply with quote
It's an okay show so far. Sorta of a mix between Gatchaman Crowds and Patlabor for me. Now that it's clear that the main villian is probably the shut-in hacker with the loli assistant, I have a feeling that a main storyline will show up soon.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6