• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Monster Hunter Stories RIDE ON (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:13 am Reply with quote

Monster Hunter Stories RIDE ON (TV)

Genres: fantasy
Themes:

Plot Summary: This is a world where both men and monsters exist. Those who hunt the monsters are called Hunters. But in a small corner of the Hunter's world, there are those called Riders who bond with and coexist with monsters. With their Kizuna Ishi (Bonding Stones) that allow them to awaken the hidden power inside monsters, Riders live in secrecy together with their Otomon, the monsters they formed a connection with.

Ryūto, a young boy living in the Rider village of Hakum, dreams of becoming the world's best Rider. Having just turned 12, he sets out to find his own Otomon for himself before the ceremony where he is given his own Kizuna Ishi. Together with his kind-hearted childhood friend Shuval, his inquisitive childhood friend Lilia, and his partner Naviloo, he sets out deep into the forest, and has a miraculous encounter with a Rathalos.
----------------------------------

Episode 1

Based on the game, it was an alright start. Had quite a cartoony vibe to at first but I also get the adventurous feel from the episode.

We got a fantasy setting, decent action, and they introduced the main characters into their world without wasting much time. The 3D style of the monsters didn't bother me much either. They can explore the story a lot more with the monsters but as this show is has 40+ episodes, there's plenty of time to explore that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:07 am Reply with quote
Ryuto's Monstie looks disturbingly like the aragami from God Eater...
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:31 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

"What's the difference between a Hunter and a Rider?" Um...Hunters kill the monsters? Seems like a fairly obvious distinction. And then he blabs the village's most guarded secret to this stranger. If this gets much stupider, I'm not sticking around. The cat thing is even more annoying than the winged eggs in Puzzle and Dragons, and now there's two of them, which is two more than my limit.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:57 am Reply with quote
Episodes 1-4

I have played one of the games, I don't think I got really far in it but I did have fun, so I had been kind of planning to watch this but only got around to watching it. And at this point I am not too happy with it.

My first problem I have would be the character designs, they almost all seem too stumpy, amongst other thoughts it kind of makes it hard to gauge ages. I understand that this is for a younger audience, but generally they are not likable to look at. I actually think that the CG for the monsters is fine, they feel reminiscent of the games and that is fine, but the stumpy appearances of the monsters they ride kind of bothers me. Though can't quite recall what they called it in the episodes, I think that I recall the monster the main character is riding as a Rathalos, a monster I farmed quite a bit when I played, which makes this entire thing feel a bit awkward.

The cat's character design also super bugs me, and although the show seems to like to point it out as a point of a joke of how he looks odd. it just does not feel funny. Gina mentioned him as a annoying like Tamazou from Puzzle & Dragons, but I would say he is more annoying, is not funny (I find Tamazou funny) and in general has zero redeeming qualities to add to the show. It all seems to be about donuts, weird Sheeh like poses and characters pointing him out at being big headed. I would say that Tamazou in P&D is just as likely to mock another character for being stupid as someone is to do to him, and there is not stupid everyone laughs bits.

Kind of confusing is that character can show up like the hunter and the scholar girl who lack the stumpy appearance, and in general would be much more fun to watch. A partial saving grace is Lilia who finally got some focus in the fourth episode where she looks to have found a goal with meeting the scholar girl, and looking up to her actually is not too bad. At this point I would kind of say the show would be better if we just followed Lilia using her wits and trying to be like who she now looks up to, maybe keep her rival as she was not bad either.

I might watch more if I feel like it, but I am not too fond of it, what it does do is make me think if I should get the latest release in the series, it has been something I have a bit of an interest in.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:52 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
a monster I farmed quite a bit when I played

Sure you weren't playing Monster Rancher? Smile

Actually Tamazou is kinda growing on me, but I hate the cat thing with a passion, and have from the start.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:37 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Sure you weren't playing Monster Rancher? Smile

No, I actually felt depressed when I killed the monsters in that. (killing my own monsters)

Gina Szanboti wrote:
Actually Tamazou is kinda growing on me, but I hate the cat thing with a passion, and have from the start.

Kind of what I am saying, Tamazou for what he is, is actually pretty good, he is voice acted well, and used in different ways.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1