• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ERASED (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:30 am Reply with quote
THAT was the part that bugged me! I remembered that there was something that bugged me in the episode, but not what.

I can get the wariness of "why is that man speaking with my children." But given that the park seemed to have a solid trail, and let him get from point A to point B quickly, I can't see why it would be so odd for there to be an adult in the park. Does every Japanese adult work 9-5, Monday-Friday? While the point of the line may have been wariness and worry for the children, they specifically asked what an adult was doing there at that time, as if it were a strange coincidence, and that any "proper" adult would be at work or otherwise occupied.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:43 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
that any "proper" adult would be at work or otherwise occupied.

That's pretty much it. Remember that in Japan people are expected to contribute to society, so an older guy not at the office during a weekday will be seen as improper.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
The pizza for her 'friend.'

Oh yeah. I was apparently half asleep when I wrote that. Very Happy
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:42 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
But manager boy could do likewise, so why was he not on the to-kill list?

He was talking with the murderer in last week's episode, and we saw the manager turn Satoru in. Maybe the killer did too. Airi's clearly closer to Satoru and probably more dangerous as a result.

As for the scene in the park, as a single father with my then three-year-old daughter at a playground, I had a similar experience of being mistrusted by women when I was the only man there in the middle of the day. I like to banter with kids and sometimes have tried to engage them when standing in supermarket checkout lines. Invariably I get a stern, angry, yet fearful look from their mothers.

The public perception that random predators are just waiting to snatch kids is largely a myth. Only about a hundred such cases occur in the US each year. Most kids are taken by someone they know, often an estranged parent after a divorce. Most of them are teenagers as well.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7:

Well, Satoru manages to use REVIVE yet again. Came at a good timing too imo since he just got arrested.

There's definitely some repetitive scenes in this episode because of the time travel stuff again. What's more though is that Satoru is once again trying to prevent certain events from happening in the past.

What I find interesting is how his friends (specifically Kenya) are also getting involved. I feel like he's a really good friend for Satoru. The ending got me spooked again though...Kayo just never seems safe in this show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Are they being evasive about it? Does Satoru have an idea of who the killer is this time? Is it part of his plan? I mean, He SHOULD be figuring it out, he spotted him in the future. The episode is doing it's best to slyly follow the obvious suspect but never acknowledges that Satoru is paying him mind. Instead they make it seem like he's doing the same thing as before- changing events without removing the main cause- so it just happens differently at a later time.

Whatever the case may be, I'm not sure they can avoid making this episode being a weakness in the over-all story. Either Satoru is being illogically stupid and unable to learn much from his mistakes or the story-telling has switched from being a trust-worthy first person narrator that brings you along with him in the story to one that suddenly stops telling you part of the plan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Does Satoru have an idea of who the killer is this time? Is it part of his plan? I mean, He SHOULD be figuring it out, he spotted him in the future.

On one hand, you'd think that if he knew the killer as a child, he'd recognize them if he saw them again as an adult (or in this case, vice versa). But people change a lot in almost 20 years. Unless they were family members, if you hadn't seen someone in that long, would you recognize them at once? And not only people change, but memories change and fade too. I have a vague notion in my head of all my teachers, but if I ran into them on the street 20 years older, would I know them? I don't think I would. (look at those childhood pics of movie stars you see, for example)

Also, he's only seen the killer's face twice, half hidden under his hat and shadows, and only a fleeting glimpse at that. So no, I don't think he knows who he's looking for. Maybe he does because plot, but I don't think he should.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:43 am Reply with quote
The episode seems to be very big on saying that it is the teacher, or at least there are a lot of clues to it. It seems pretty clear that he would have been able to figure out that Satoru was behind her disappearance, so seems likely that is him at the end. Although there is the possibility that the person at the end of the episode is not the killer, just the teacher checking that she is okay, but eyes in the episode say otherwise. Yuki also acted quite flustered in the episode too.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:29 am Reply with quote
Satoru forces another chance from Revival.
This time he's even more determined!
Kenya is more and more intriguing.
He's like a chibi detective, very observant.
Satoru changed a lot, but... will it be enough?
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8:

Nice transition episode...in particular with how Kayo feels happiness for the first time again.

The way Satoru's mother treats Kayo is so much different than her own mother. It's like they are completely different people. Interesting buildup from Satoru's discovery as well but I guess that's going to continue until later on. This episode felt like it was more of about Kayo experiencing happiness with a friend and family. Now I want to see how Satoru's mom will deal with Kayo's mother. Should make an interesting confrontation for next time.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:22 pm Reply with quote
So... "illogically stupid" it is. I had to yell at the TV when they spoiler[found the bag of gear and Satoru realized that moving Kayo to the bus didn't magically stop the kidnapper/killer from being a kidnapper/killer.]
...And why the hell are they not spoiler[notifying police/parents about the kidnap gear they found in the bus?]

Of the two story faults I saw as possible last episode, I think I would have preferred Satoru having half a brain and being an unreliable narrator to being dumb as a box of rocks but honest with his stupidity.
Yes, there's still a killer out there, and he's still going to be killing children- FOR DECADES, unless you actually use your future knowledge and actually do something about it!

That said, aside from the stupid parts of the plot, I did like what they did choose to show. spoiler[Satoru's mother mothering Kayo was heart-breakingly sweet, especially the breakfast scene.

I assume her solution will be to take Kayo in herself, convincing her mother that she should let her do so. Although, keeping Kayo in town keeps her in the path of the killer.]
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:13 pm Reply with quote
The only way to change the future is to find and lock up the killer. What he is doing right now is just delaying it. I think I know who is the killer, but I will continue to watch it.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:18 pm Reply with quote
What would they lock up the killer for if he hasn't killed anyone yet?

Btw, that was a very odd tread pattern for the type of leather uppers we saw the guy wearing. :)
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:22 pm Reply with quote
episode eight

I find it kind of odd that with all their homemaking on the bus, our killer who is using it for a storage shed didn't apparently notice anything. Or maybe he kicked the box because he realized Kayo was there but couldn't reach her because he's allergic to curtains.

As good as this show is with little moments, I'm wishing it wasn't a thriller. All of its best moments are when it takes a break from its weak attempts at mystery and forced thriller melodrama.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:38 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
What would they lock up the killer for if he hasn't killed anyone yet?

Btw, that was a very odd tread pattern for the type of leather uppers we saw the guy wearing. Smile

Talk to the police, set him up for attempted of Kidnapping/Abduction. Of course, they need to know who is the killer first. Thus is why I think he is doing it wrong. As long as the future killer is still free, how is this going to change anything? A killer will always be a killer.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 14