• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ERASED (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LordMaou

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Vaisaga wrote:
Not his car and as far as anyone knew he was at the hockey game the whole time. Why would he be suspected?

Because he wasn't at the game the whole time? Because he never came back to the hockey game to take the girls home? Because Satoru is still alive, meaning someone must've found him within the hour at the "Wild Camp" site 25 miles outside of town, in the winter. As I said before, if Yashiro was that someone, he's got a lot of explaining to do. If he's not and he up and vanishes the same day this kid ends up in a car (presumably not owned by anyone he or his mother know) in the river, he's the prime suspect.

Wasn't Yashiro.

Since they might go into it in the anime how he was found I'll spoil tag it.
spoiler[He was found at ~6:30 in the van that was still two-thirds submerged. It didn't sink all the way. A female veterinarian found him as she was coming back from a farm in the area. She flashed a light and thought she saw a head moving and checked the van, but was just the basketball. But that allowed her to see Satoru in the passenger seat. She cut the seat belt that held him there, which the police used to determine that the case was attempted murder. He was under cardiopulmonary arrest below 28C body temperature annd the veterinarian tried CPR. He was transported to the hospital by ambulance at seven PM. ]

Police Suspects report from the manga : spoiler[The police ran an extensive investigation, starting from the car owner, then the one that found him, teachers, gym employees, and suppliers. However, they failed to narrow down the "suspects." The biggest reason was they couldn't figure out the "motive." ]
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:47 pm Reply with quote
HelloBucket wrote:
The prologue to this episode seemed sort of incoherent. Maybe the translation was just poor, but it seemed really awkward. Who are Satoru's drowned hamster buddies that he floated on to survive? What did our thread-headed characters do to wind up in hell? These metaphors don't seem to have any legs.

It's not that the translation was poor, it's that the adaptation left out most of the backstory that that scene was giving off, giving you absolutely no context. The hamster has nothing to do with Satoru at all, metaphorically. The TL;DR of what's missing is that spoiler[Yashiro's brother was a rapist/murderer, Yashiro helped him out. One girl that Yashiro's brother was going to go after was toddler Satoru's playmate, his presence kept her from being taken by them. Yashiro ended up killing his brother at some point, but felt "empty," which is why he kept killing. He'd actually killed a girl in another town before coming to theirs (Kenya's father was the framed father's lawyer, hence Kenya being so interested/knowledgeable), but still felt empty. Then when Satoru screwed up his plans, and then woke up, he decided that Satoru was his new "pet," because the cat-and-mouse game with Satoru made him not feel "empty." So he nicknamed Satoru "Spice" after his hamster, because he was his new "pet".]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:34 am Reply with quote
Some pretty interesting stuff this episode. Although thoughts that he should have gotten the girl (Kayo), it is also a bit unfair. they were like 11 or 12 years old, they were children who really did not know each other that much. Although might seem he missed out, he has knowledge that both of the baby's parents would not have existed without his work. Maybe he sacrificed something, but he also gave something in terms of time to the past victims. It was hinted that past regrets held back his life anyway, he might still have something he would not otherwise.

Also a bit odd, I assumed that he largely fast forwarded back to the day he originally rewound from to have the full memories, but they said something about 2003 instead of 2006. The fact he does not just have child memories is also interesting.

HelloBucket wrote:
The prologue to this episode seemed sort of incoherent. Maybe the translation was just poor, but it seemed really awkward. Who are Satoru's drowned hamster buddies that he floated on to survive? What did our thread-headed characters do to wind up in hell? These metaphors don't seem to have any legs.

Isn't it supposed to be the ramblings of a psychopath? A story of their past where they killed animals, and indication that he has a special interest in killing "survivors", making the struggle a whole lot and right before they are out of hell he cuts the string. He wanted to get Satoru to climb up on everything that happened, he would be like a pet, and then at the end he betrays that hope and will kill him.

What are Satoru's drowned hamster buddies? The time he lost, the sacrifices his mother made to look after him, and all the work of rehab. At least that is my interpretation.

Some pretty interesting stuff this episode
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:36 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Although thoughts that he should have gotten the girl (Kayo), it is also a bit unfair.

I'm not actually mad about that, though it is a tad disappointing. The bulk of the series showed how cute they were together and I'll admit the outcome I was imagining was Satoru exposing the killer as a kid and then leaping back into the present to find he's now married to Kayo.

But you're right they were pretty young and 15 years would be an unreasonable wait for some puppy love. It's a bit odd initially that she would hook up with Hiromi of all people, but it works with the narrative since their union is only possible due to Satoru saving them both. Hiromi did violate the bro code a bit, but I am curious as to how exactly their relationship developed. We don't see them grow very close as kids, though he was there playing with her during her 'kidnapping.' I'd rather him than some random stranger, that's for sure.

At least it didn't go all Rumbling Hearts on us.

Like I said, I am hopeful Satoru manages to reconnect with Airi now. It would suck if after all that he can't get his own happiness.

And yes, I am the type of person who believes being in a relationship makes everything better (assuming both parties are good people, anyways).
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:01 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Isn't it supposed to be the ramblings of a psychopath? A story of their past where they killed animals, and indication that he has a special interest in killing "survivors", making the struggle a whole lot and right before they are out of hell he cuts the string. He wanted to get Satoru to climb up on everything that happened, he would be like a pet, and then at the end he betrays that hope and will kill him.

Yeah, the metaphor works if we ignore large elements of both stories Yashiro told. For example: Where does Darwinism fit in? Satoru didn't survive because he was the most fit hamster, able to tread water for long enough to use his weaker hamster pals as flotation devices. (And he's an idiot - if he were a hamster he'd have died before the girl could have given him to Yashiro by decapitating himself in the hamster wheel.) You could read the hamster tale as a will-to-live thing but then why do we need all the other hamsters? Trying to drown one hamster and being surprised by its persistence is all that would have been necessary. We didn't need a hamster standing atop its dead brother for such a message. And why'd all the other hamsters die, if that's the meaning? They just didn't want it bad enough? I'm imagining the furry little existential crisis now: "I just... I just can't get up and eat seeds and run in the wheel any more. There's no meaning in any of it. This whole drowning to death thing is for the best, really."

I feel like this is the opposite of what is desired in a metaphor. Instead of seeing the obvious parallels and then being able to use the additional details of the story to extrapolate the non-obvious, the metaphor breaks as soon as it used this way (though I'll admit the slight possibility that the metaphors connect to the ending but I'm struggling to see how they'd work that). If anything, it would have been more effective to not even have that intro and just let Yashiro reappear when he did.

I submit my own psychopathic ramblings above as evidence for my position that ERASED's single-minded pursuit of raw dramatic power has left every other element of the show a wreck.

As for rambling of a psychopath though: Yashiro seems pretty lucid and incoherence isn't a property of psychopathy or even a necessary element of serial killers in general. I've read that there's a trend for psychopaths to be obsessed with the survival of the fittest, though I'm not sure of the accuracy of this. Also, a mea culpa on the previous paragraph: I've never taken an evaluation for psychopathy so I do not know if I technically qualify as one. My rambling may just be normal rambling.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Just look at it as a simple "one that got away" mentality. Like a playboy who can bed any woman he wants becomes obsessed with the one girl who refused him.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:39 pm Reply with quote
I suppose my main gripe isn't that Kayo went on to enjoy her life; she deserved happiness after everything she experienced. Hell, it's extremely likely that she never loved Satoru, and only loved having a kind hand extended towards her. But, I think it would have been MUCH better if she had married someone we have never met. If the creator was going for a "she's free now" kind of thing, pairing her with someone completely unrelated to her childhood would have been better imo.

It also wouldn't give off this bad taste that he got with his best friend "ex". Yea, they were young, but they were still a pair.

As i mentioned before, I'm more of an Airi shipper anyway, so this isn't a deal-breaker for me. It's just that it easily could have been better. And this whole "the two being together is right because it was only made possible by Satoru" is a weak argument. No different than saying "she was only able to marry that guy in her college class because of Satoru."
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:07 am Reply with quote
Treeborn wrote:
As i mentioned before, I'm more of an Airi shipper anyway, so this isn't a deal-breaker for me. It's just that it easily could have been better. And this whole "the two being together is right because it was only made possible by Satoru" is a weak argument. No different than saying "she was only able to marry that guy in her college class because of Satoru."

The difference is that Hiromi is only alive because of Satoru as well.
xyz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Satoru cried when he saw Kayo with her child as if the 29 yrs old self reacted from his subconsciousness within. It was a feeling of happiness and satisfaction for he had successfully changed her fate into a happy one, like how a father seeing his child grew up and found happinesss. He paid the price for a few lives and at the same time rid of his guilt. It gives a closure to that chapter with warm and fuzzy feelings. Let's see if he will be able to save his mom this time around. I don't think he will confront on the roof as implied.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:31 am Reply with quote
Treeborn wrote:
But, I think it would have been MUCH better if she had married someone we have never met.

Romance and marriage between childhood friends is a common trope in anime and, from what I hear, in other forms of Japanese story-telling as well. Also marriage itself in Japan relies less on romantic attraction than it does on fulfilling familial and societal demands. One study I read suggested that 35-50% of Japanese marriages were originated by go-betweens, usually at the instigation of parents. Changes in the attitudes of single Japanese women may have diluted the effects of these factors, but they certainly haven't ended them.
bin1127

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:59 pm Reply with quote
I really liked how spoiler[the internal voice is the kid now whereas all along is adult Satoru doing the narration.] This show keeps throwing interesting new twists and creative application of story telling methods.

spoiler[With the Kayo and Hiromi pair up it's actually fine even though i get that they were a 'couple' for what it's worth even though she started a new life. Like if 10 years later they started texting each other with this new cellular technology and rekindled their relationship I'd totally buy that. But maybe a bit more details about how Karomi got to be would be nice. ]

Even before that I'm still trying to wrap my head around Hiromi being a guy. From the first episodes their circle of friends always felt very natural with a bunch of guys and a girl friend. But no it really is just a boys club. Hiromi was so happy when Satoru started taking an interest in Kayo cause i thought Hiromi was happy the lonely girl in her (his) class is making friends. Now it feels more like "you da man Sat. Git that gurl"

Is anyone else a bit concerned that the spoiler[ psycho killer was mere steps from killing Kayo in the bus? ] Satoru did move locations, but it felt the motive was more that " yep. I do have a plan B" instead of "wtffff we can't stay here a second longer!"

Can't wait for the last ep tomorrow. I hope there's a happy ending to this. [/spoiler]
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale):

I had some mixed thoughts at first for the finale but overall thought the series was good. Yes, they cut quite a bit but it was expected as a 1-cour. I am somewhat disappointed by Airi's role though even in the finale. Oh well...

However, I think the dialogues is what I found most interesting about the show in the end even in this finale. Yashiro and Satoru's confrontation in the finale was also quite intimidating. However, there's quite a bit of storytelling that could of improved. Still, Overall, 8/10. The music is pretty darn fantastic and I was entertained. Rating it as very good.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I'm in the same boat. This show started off fantastic, and then it kind of lost something in the last three episodes. The final confrontation was incredibly corny. After all the smart things this show did, I can't believe they resolved it with something so ridiculous. The show Started off as an Excellent, but in the last three episodes became a Very Good.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Was waiting for Airi to show up the whole episode. Figured they'd meet again at the very last scene.

Also figured Satoru would make it big with a manga called "Boku dake ga Inai Machi" but I guess that would have been too obvious.

Good show overall. I didn't have the hyped expectations everyone else seemed to have so what issues it had didn't bother me as much. The mystery was weak but the atmosphere, tension, and character dynamics were on point. I don't know what all they cut from the manga, but what we got held together just fine without feeling rushed.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:11 pm Reply with quote
episode twelve

Based on the comments so far, this is a pretty harsh take but: I want my 23 minutes back. This is the dumbest thing I've seen in a good while, and I've been watching Undefeated Bahamut Chronicle this season as well. I was prepared to be unimpressed, but I wasn't prepared for this.

Rather than go on a tirade, I think I'll just focus my commentary on the episode's weirdest problem: This sudden turn to super-insightful psychological warfare by Satoru. He has no idea Yashiro is the killer, then goes into a coma right after he finds out how wrong he was, and finally wakes up with what might as well be superpowers. What's worse is that his claimed insight seems ridiculous, but then turns out to be true. Also for no apparent reason.

There was a silver lining, of course. Airi! Now Satoru can finally pursue his real dream of dating someone significantly younger than him, which I am now taking to be the real theme of the show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 14