• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ERASED (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DCR

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Hiromi, a girl?

Ahem...

Also, Satoru's mask is from a show that exists only in Erased: Wonder-Guy.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:56 pm Reply with quote
I assumed girl because all the others taken were girls. Killers like that usually stick to a type.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:43 pm Reply with quote
episode four

I'm starting to get a little worried about the show. The cliffhanger is going to feel cheap if Kayo has not met with some terrible fate. On the other hand, Kayo meeting a terrible fate isn't enough to cause a complete redirect for Satoru because there were other victims, including at least one other the protagonist knows personally (but apparently didn't care about being murdered). Kayo being murdered despite the timeline changes might be enough to cause him to loop but would that even be interesting - it's not like Satoru has collected any information that would let him see a new path to take next time around.

My concern out of all of this is that I'm starting to get the impression the show is mostly just thin emotional manipulation without a lot of substance to hold it together. It's too early to say that for sure, but episode four started popping up some warning flags for me.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:49 pm Reply with quote
If Kenya is involved or is the killer, why would he go out of his way to tell Satoru that it was important for him to watch Kayo, and his friends were there to support him? He should either have been staying out of it, or actively making it uncomfortable for Satoru to hang out with Kayo to try to get his attention off her.

Heh, I always thought Hiro(mi) was a girl, but only just noticed she only wears pants while all the other girls wear skirts. Maybe Hiro is Hiromi's twin brother. Wink Kidding aside, since Hiromi was clearly among his group of friends, where Kayo originally was not, it is exceedingly odd that he has remembered her death even less than Kayo's.

Maybe it's just me, but if something like that had happened to two of my classmates at that age, nothing the adults could do would make me forget it. If he suppressed the memory because of guilt over Kayo, one wonders what he must've done to be even more guilty over Hiromi. Btw, did the interrogation scenes with his mother take place after Kayo's body was found in the spring or after she disappeared? Was Hiromi actually the first known death? Or was she even found?
GoethiteGolem

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:15 am Reply with quote
It seems unlikely to me for Kenya to be involved. Both he and the teacher were behaving suspiciously, but I’m pretty sure the surprise party gives them an alibi, and they were just red herrings.

Satouru did say that two victims were his classmates in episode 1, so he can’t be completely oblivious, but he hasn’t thought about the second victim at all yet. The only actual info we have on the murders is the glimpses we see of a book about, and Satouru and his mother’s brief recollections. The first time we see the book, we don’t see anything but pictures of Kayo and Yuuki. The second time, in the opening segment of episode 3 when Satouru is trying to figure out when exactly Kayo died, we see more of a page, which has pictures of three victims. Kayo, Hiromi, and a girl named Aya Nakanashi, who I'm pretty sure we haven’t met.

I don’t think we’ve actually gotten any details of the chronology for the murders, or even exactly what happened to them. Satouru doesn’t seem to remember the details that well, and it seems like he really wanted to avoid thinking about too much before before now.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:03 pm Reply with quote
The end-of-episode cliffhanger might be a cheap trick (and did not surprise me), but I'm still interested enough to want to see where this is going. Will Satoru loop back in time again or will he find Kayo somehow? Or will he move on to trying to stop his other classmate from becoming a victim?
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Another solid episode this week.

I almost thought that Satoru's mind would of snapped after seeing Kayo's gloves in the trash. Kayo's parents really are scumbags. t the same time, I find it interesting that he returned to his normal self in the present timeline.

Airi is also awesome. She helps Satoru while also punching the Manager because he deserved that. Knew something was wrong the moment when Airi got a weird phone call.....

Is it next week yet? I can't wait for the next episode!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Almost a bad episode, though Greatest Mom at least tried to save it. Middle material/back to the present parts were never really that strong to me, and this episode was rushed and sort of toneless.

Important things did happen, though, so if you're playing the detective game there's lots to like.
GoethiteGolem

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:50 pm Reply with quote
So we jumped forward in time pretty shortly in again. This was probably the most obvious choice, although it does lead to some butterfly effect questions of how much has actually changed. The story seems to be taking a path where only major plot details have been directly affected, so I’ll let the time-travel questions slide for now.

At this point, it looks to me like Kayo’s death wasn’t directly connected to the serial killer at all. It seems like she was beaten by her mom, thrown in the shed, and froze to death. The media just assumed it was connected to a serial killing, and her parents got off scott-free. Fairly straightforward. The problem is, they are connected somehow, or else the revival phenomenon wouldn’t happen. I’m guessing that Kayo’s death isn’t actually related to the modern plot at all, and it’s the other murders that are connected. Which means that just saving Kayo probably won’t change anything, even if Satouru succeeds. I’m still puzzled as to why Hiromi hasn’t been mentioned yet.

In the present day, this Nishizono guy that the manager was talking to is almost certainly the culprit in my mind. A middle-aged bespectacled man, with a lot of power and influence. He’s clearly capable of pulling the strings against Satouru, and his portrayal was so suspicious it was almost comical. His relationship with the somewhat skeevy pizza restaurant manager. His deep, monotone voice. The way we never saw his face. The way the camera hovered over his lapel pin. The way he was clearly watching Katagiri. All of it just screams “I’m a villain!” I’m not sure what the lapel pin is supposed to imply, I didn’t recognize the symbol.

So how is this guy connected to Satouru and the incident in 1988? My first guess is that he’s that former co-worker of Satouru’s mom we saw. He’s about the right age, wears glasses, and has a similar voice and attitude. Whoever the culprit of the 1988 killings is somebody Satouru’s mom knows, otherwise there’s no reason to kill her.

Plot points aside, some of the character interaction this episode was pretty awkward, compared to what we’ve seen so far. Katagiri’s reason for believing in Satouru in particular was… really lame. “I believe you’re not a murderer because one time my dad was accused of stealing a chocolate bar and nobody believed him,” seriously?

Speaking of Katagiri, some of her similarities to Kayo are getting a little uncanny. Some people have raised the idea of them being related somehow, but let me just throw another crazy theory out there: What if Katagiri is Kayo’s reincarnation? She’s about the right age for it anyway, and it would explain a lot.
LordMaou

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:41 pm Reply with quote
GoethiteGolem wrote:

In the present day, this Nishizono guy that the manager was talking to is almost certainly the culprit in my mind. A middle-aged bespectacled man, with a lot of power and influence. He’s clearly capable of pulling the strings against Satouru, and his portrayal was so suspicious it was almost comical. His relationship with the somewhat skeevy pizza restaurant manager. His deep, monotone voice. The way we never saw his face. The way the camera hovered over his lapel pin. The way he was clearly watching Katagiri. All of it just screams “I’m a villain!” I’m not sure what the lapel pin is supposed to imply, I didn’t recognize the symbol.

So how is this guy connected to Satouru and the incident in 1988? My first guess is that he’s that former co-worker of Satouru’s mom we saw. He’s about the right age, wears glasses, and has a similar voice and attitude. Whoever the culprit of the 1988 killings is somebody Satouru’s mom knows, otherwise there’s no reason to kill her.

There are some other things hinting at who he is as well. Also the co-worker of Satoru's mom has brown hair, that guy in every shot of him(opening, car, house) has black hair. You're right that his mom does know the person.

Remember in episode 1 where he had the time skip with his mom in the parking lot from the store. When that happens he's supposed to fix something and he didn't change anything. You see the guys car driving behind him when it skips back. He was supposed to spoiler[fix it to where he doesn't see his mother], but failed to do so.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:40 pm Reply with quote
LordMaou wrote:
Remember in episode 1 where he had the time skip with his mom in the parking lot from the store. When that happens he's supposed to fix something and he didn't change anything. You see the guys car driving behind him when it skips back. He was supposed to spoiler[fix it to where he doesn't see his mother], but failed to do so.

In that instance telling his mother to look is what fixed it. That guy was going to kidnap a little girl but he was spotted by the mother and so didn't go through with it.

Anyways here we have another mystery given away by two characters having the same voice actor.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:13 pm Reply with quote
episode five

My worries of this show being well-polished emotionally manipulative crap have only become stronger now that we've seen the polish drop a little.

The thing that really bothers me about this episode is how arbitrarily Satoru's powers manifest. Undermining an explained mechanic in a mystery is pretty cheap storytelling and I'm really hoping there's an ultimate explanation for this, but considering how there's been almost no focus on his power I'm not really expecting one.

Poor Airi. Killed by making an elementary fire safety mistake. Though, I'm confused as to why the killer would want her dead, anyway, unless they have a general grudge against Satoru (and in that case: why now?). Satoru knew nothing, so he could not have told Airi anything. The only other hypothesis I have is that our "villain" in the present is aware of Satoru's powers and is trying to intentionally trigger them in order to correct something they want corrected as well. How would anyone know, though?
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:32 pm Reply with quote
HelloBucket wrote:
Though, I'm confused as to why the killer would want her dead, anyway, unless they have a general grudge against Satoru (and in that case: why now?). Satoru knew nothing, so he could not have told Airi anything.

And how would the killer know that? It's better to be safe and cover your bases just in case. That's why he hasn't been caught until now.

The police already think Satoru is the killer and sending her that text with the mom's phone will further implicate him. This killer knows what he's doing.

On a more inappropriate note, damn did Airi's outfit hit all my strike zones. I spent too much time being enamored by it when I really should have been paying more attention to the episode Anime catgrin + sweatdrop
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:47 pm Reply with quote
^

That would make sense... in a different story. That's a big part of my problem. Our villain feels campier or more theatrical than the rest of the show. Taking on a big risk like keeping the victim's cell phone and setting fire to a residential house works for a more fanciful, mastermind-style antagonist who is canonically shielded from all by the protagonist by their sheer brilliance but that doesn't really fit well with the tone of the show otherwise. I mean, they do this more over-the-top style a bit with Kayo's mother, but it doesn't work well there, either. My humble opinion is that the show's every flirtation with bombast has been disastrous.

The irony is, a genius villain would be just the type to know for sure that Satoru is in the dark. Still, if we're painting our antagonist as cautious it would have made more sense for him to have killed Satoru instead of framed him. Framing him leaves opportunity for their plan to go wrong. So if our villain was merely pragmatic, we wouldn't even have gotten to the point of Airi's house being relevant.

All this reminds me that it's kind of silly how easily Satoru evades the police. This is at least consistent though, since the police have been shown as incompetent at every turn in the series.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:09 pm Reply with quote
HelloBucket wrote:
Still, if we're painting our antagonist as cautious it would have made more sense for him to have killed Satoru instead of framed him.

Judging from the OP images, he's going to try that. He's apparently a politician, so he's got that working in his favor. This is assuming of course that all the "anything to not show his face" stuff isn't a red herring pointing to the killer.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 14