• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Divine Gate (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:42 am Reply with quote
^Uhm, yeah, pretty much everyone who's watched a decent amount of anime knows that. I think the point is that the subs should've said "hurry up" rather than "chop chop"
RestLessone

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I don't think I've seen it translated like that before. It's not incorrect--chop chop means the same thing and I could see a little kid saying that--just different. Sometimes Funimation's simulcast shows have wonky or weird subs. I quit Prince of Stride, but it had odd things going on with names.

I've heard this is at least partially due to the limited number of people qualified to do this particular job compared to how many shows are released each season. To be fair, a lot of complaints are just people being nitpicky about grammar or sentence structure in simulcast subs. These things wind up fixed for physical releases. Don't know if they go back and upload new versions on their site, though.

Anyway, on to Divine Gate: this series is a mess and I'm definitely going to finish it. How contrived can this be? Did they let a middle schooler write it? Can they beat the heavy-handedness in the second ep? Aota's little ghost kid is very unnecessary. He states outright everything that should've been even slightly subtle. I'm also not entirely sure what the plot of this series is because everything is overly vague. I'm not even frustrated; it's what you'd expect in a series like this.

Don't know how we're supposed to be taking these character dynamics, either. Take episode 3. My perception was that Midori wasn't in the wrong, though perhaps she should have paid closer attention to her friend's feelings. It's understandable that Midori would feel some guilt over the situation and blame herself, even if it's not her fault. But I wonder: is that what the show is going for, or am I supposed to see Midori as having truly failed her friend?

One last thing. I know it's based on a game and they're trying to jam all the characters they can in, but there are just too many. They're struggling to just develop the core cast.

Last edited by RestLessone on Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:57 am Reply with quote
This show is so boring.

Aoto is an uninteresting character even with the way his characterization is done about his past. Yawn. I hope the rest of the season focuses more on the Divine Gate story and make it more interesting. The action was the only bits that gave me some slight interest into this series still.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:52 am Reply with quote
Episode 5:

The comedy is weird for this show, something that I don't find quite funny even though it tries pretty hard at it.

Action was okay with the training.
I'm guessing this week's episode is to show why some characters fight for what they fight for. Akane's role in this series isn't interesting imo still. I really hope the plot picks up a bit more. The journey towards the Divine Gate continues...

Regarding Arthur, his role as a ruler is something that I'm not too convinced about yet. The plot is still VERY slow, needs to pick up the damn pacing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:51 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Regarding Arthur, his role as a ruler is something that I'm not too convinced about yet. The plot is still VERY slow, needs to pick up the damn pacing.

The plot is slow, but it is also a bit of a mess, character growth does not feel right. Like why is Aoto suddenly all about talking things out? Up to now Aoto has been quite secretive about his problems, we have not seen him explain whatever it is that is happening with his brother. There is little done to make the episodes feel connected.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:05 am Reply with quote
Episode 6:

Finally, the plot actually moves but the episode felt slow as hell. An entire episode filled with weird exposition, boring buildup, and weak attempt at characterization. Aoto is one of the worst characters I've seen so far in this series as well and Arthur is someone that I find mysterious but uninteresting so far.

The only way for this show to save itself is to make the rest of the story more appealing with the second half because so far, the first 6 episodes have been easily forgettable and weakly written.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:27 am Reply with quote
I had the thought that this kind of feels like half a series, that we are only seeing half of what we should. Firstly, why are the 3 main characters special? Now that might sound like a stupid question, we are meant to think that is part of the point in finding out, and the have magic powers and stuff, but it is kind of what I mean. What do these kids even do? First episode showed that they go out and stop bad guys and stuff, but they really have not done any of that since. They worked to recruit Aoto, but he kind of just suddenly joined that it did not really feel like a culmination of some arc. We see the word team thrown around and see them train, but they really have not done anything other than react to a few odd events and get angsty backstory.

Comparing this to another show, could you explain what the characters in Luck & Logic do if you are watching it? Yeah, the characters do it every episode, often with new twists, and we often get a huge amount of explanation about it, and I think that the show does a pretty good job of explaining itself whilst it is actually doing something else. Divine Gate has done a really poor job of just explaining what these characters do, and it hurts attempts to feel like characters are on a journey. It instead feels like all focus is on the Divine Gate, but with such poor in general world building you really cannot build any interest in the gate beyond maybe just yelling at the screen to tell us already because it seems to be all the show is interested in. And no, the episode that tried to sell backstory do not cut it. How are we meant to know how to think of Aoto when it feels like how he was treated made no sense?

Has the series been forced to really cram stuff in because they lack episodes? This part of the series feels like maybe it should be towards the end of 12 or so episodes, and kind of just gives the hope that maybe the second half might be better. I can't know what the rest of the series is going to be, but I kind of feel that perhaps they should have saved it for a possible second season and instead spread this first half out and put more focus on coherent world and character building. Aoto is not that interesting, I can like a character who does not have much in terms of emotion, I thought that Alka from Blade & Soul was great for subtle character growth, not everyone liked that, but I don't think we even have that here.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:06 am Reply with quote
I like the series, the design is very much based off of four color comic books, especially with how the inking is done- or maybe the fact that an anime has inking? Mr Blue, Mr Red (The dub really rubs that one in, Aka-ne rather than A-ka-ne} and Miss Green remain more colors filling out a chart rather than characters but

It was spelled out that way from the beginning; The six characters that represent the six elemental forces that have their equal in elemental fairies- I imagine- are more about filling quotas than anything else. Almost like you need six keystones to open some sort of... I don't know... door.

Is it good? How many times when you unlock a door, do you think about how the key feels? Ok, stupid question- both of them. I like it on the "I've seen worse shows" level but it doesn't have Luck and Logic's "Ok, that was cool" battle attacks or its comedy.

It also takes itself too serious in the wrong way- yes, parenticide is bad but the show treats it like an unsavory characteristic that at most fuels idle rumor and social pyriahhood than criminal arrest. "I don't believe you killed your parents." .. because you'd be locked up if it was true? Also, someone has to mention it, Blue Christmas. I know it's called Blue for other reasons, story reasons, but there's so many points why this doesn't work, starting with Elvis, hitting the movie Black Christmas on the way down and settling on "Was Silent Night, Deadly Night out of the question?"

Can't wait to see what the dub does with this one.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Santa Clause? Is he a lawyer or something? Tim Allen?

This was a better episode, but dangit, there's not nearly as much angst in this series as the first episode promised me, and they haven't omitted it in favor of plot progression or characterization. It's raining in my heart now, for all the wrong reasons. Were I to raise my head, I would drown in my own tears.

I wonder what anime would do to symbolize melancholy and/or tragedy if it never rained or snowed in Japan...
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:26 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
This was a better episode, but dangit, there's not nearly as much angst in this series as the first episode promised me, and they haven't omitted it in favor of plot progression or characterization. It's raining in my heart now, for all the wrong reasons. Were I to raise my head, I would drown in my own tears.

Think of it this way. There may not be 100% angst, but there is still laughingly horrible dialogue. (Which has made me choke on a beverage on more than one occasion - you'd think I'd have learned better by now...)

Also, this show allows me to say, "I'm watching an anime where King Arthur has a bishounen harem made up of Loki, Santa Claus, and the Wizard of Oz."

Seriously, look at that sentence. I just can't hate that. Laughing
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:21 am Reply with quote
I loved the idea that Oz has his own crew of usual suspects and I actually went back to confirm it: Yeah, he actually has Toto too! But I have no idea what it means that Loki is from the world of the gods while Oz is from the world of dragons.

"You don't look like a dragon." Yes, it's confirmed, our main characters have eyes.

I have no idea where the writers are getting this stuff from or what it means and I really got the feeling they don't know either. It still looks nice.

Also, I want to see an anime technoir Wizard of Oz now.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:58 am Reply with quote
Episode 7:

I was just starting to like Arthur slightly more until the weird stuff that happened at the end. Loki's really a trick pony. Action was all over the place for this week's episode. I'm still wondering what other secrets lies beyond the Divine Gate...

This show's still pretty confusing to me especially about the motivations of some of the main characters.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:38 am Reply with quote
Isn't it great that all character deaths were built around having made us care about those characters over a period of time, clearly intentioned by how dramatic it was? What, you mean the show gave us absolutely nothing to really make us care about these character that it just came across as a little hollow, and low brow with throwing a dead little girl in it?

Also, maybe he should have thought against grabbing the evil glowing sword.

Loki: "Here, grab this evil sword and become my underling."
Arthur: "No, you are not the boss of me."
Loki: "Fine I will go make someone else my underling." *drops sword*
Arthur: "I said that you are not the boss of me." *grabs sword*
Loki: "That was easy."

*Character sees Arthur not reacting much and holding evil sword*
You know that is a clear sign he is going to stab someone, right?
*Arthur stabs guy*
See, that is what I was saying. He even turned into an evil version with different hair and clothes now, because that is needed when he gets brainwashed by a bad guy.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:23 pm Reply with quote
What the hell happened to Ginji's team? they definitely made it past the Scandinavian Gods, then they vanished

RestLessone wrote:
These things wind up fixed for physical releases. Don't know if they go back and upload new versions on their site, though.

Simulcast streams are eventually replaced with the home video releases on the site, so yes, the subs are fixed
kgw

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:22 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

Loki: "Here, grab this evil sword and become my underling."
Arthur: "No, you are not the boss of me."
Loki: "Fine I will go make someone else my underling." *drops sword*
Arthur: "I said that you are not the boss of me." *grabs sword*
Loki: "That was easy."

*Character sees Arthur not reacting much and holding evil sword*
You know that is a clear sign he is going to stab someone, right?
*Arthur stabs guy*
See, that is what I was saying. He even turned into an evil version with different hair and clothes now, because that is needed when he gets brainwashed by a bad guy.

Truth to be told, I think he was magically disguised as his former self so nobody would suspect.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3