• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Santaman! [2006-12-08]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:40 am Reply with quote
rocklobster wrote:
Anyway, I was wondering, did 4Kids kill One Piece or was it doomed from the start?
It was alive and well when it walked in the front door, but what came out the back wasn't fit for human consumption. Wink
Toshirodragon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:12 pm Reply with quote
I have to echo the poster who said NO way in hell would s/he write their senator asking for a ban on manga or anime. My senator is ORRIN HATCH for fudge's sake, god know I don't want that idiot doing something else potentially embarassing to us all! Laughing

I think it all boils down to using your brains and exercising your authority as a parent. I wouldn't let my four year old watch Pokemon because I felt the boys hit the girl way too much and I wouldn't let him watch DragonballZ. Both series had elements which, at THAT time, I felt were inappropriate for his age and maturity. Now that he is almost 11, I can sit down with him and say "this is improper behavior" or "I dont approve of this person's actions" and he can understand and respond to what I'm saying.

Sure some anime is excessively violent, there are several series I stopped watching because the violence bothered me, but I stopped only ME from watching. If you don't want to see the violence stop yourself, but don't try to take my right to watch away.

And I'd really have to question the premise that violent anime=violent schoolchildren. Violence in children comes from much deeper sources than their cartoons. I grew up watching Tom & Jerry but I've never attacked, blown up, chopped anyone to pieces. Violent households are far more likely to produce violent children then any amount of ink exploding on the screen.

As far as children in warzones, yeah they live there. It's really niave to think that portraying that in an anime is wrong. Children are as patriotic and as willing to die to protect themselves and others as adults.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Toshirodragon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
and English class short stories than any anime content I've ever seen.

Now I HAVE to clean off my monitor!

I flunked one term of English in high school because I refused to read anymore godawful, horribly violent "classical" lit. I mean honestly John Steinbeck is hardly an author to make kids WANT to read!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:27 pm Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
4) Shoujo-Ai/Shounen-Ai/Yaoi/Yuri. This, more than any other, will really get the Christian parent's blood boiling.
I largely agreed with that list based on my personal tastes until this part. Certainly there are Christians who view the subject of homosexuality negatively, but personally, I take the whole subject as one of venue appropriateness. Public displays of one's sexuality don't strike me as positive regardless of your preferences, but I really don't care much what consenting people do in their own bedrooms.

I'm not a fan of shounen-ai/yaoi but I do very much enjoy shoujo-ai/yuri. I like yuri partially because I just like seeing two females together but also because I find the stories more emotionally stimulating and generally less contrived than the yaoi ones.

While I don't mind violence in general, I don't like excessive nihilistic violence in a series and over-reliance on fan service (nudity and sex) isn't a positive either (though I don't view it as necessarily a negative.) I prefer that religious symbols, regardless of the religion, be used correctly.

However, these are personal tastes in fiction. I think everyone needs to keep in mind that anime isn't real. Morality shouldn't play a major part in how you view anime because, by virtue of being a fantasy, it can not possess any moral value beyond it's intended purpose.

If an anime series is intended to teach a lesson, then that can be evaluated as a moral lesson or an immoral one. If it's just meant to entertain, then you can decide if you feel it's entertaining or not.

Toshirodragon wrote:
I mean honestly John Steinbeck is hardly an author to make kids WANT to read!
Complete agreement. Absolute and complete agreement. Of Mice and Men is NOT a positive book. What point is that book even trying to make? All I took away from it was spoiler["people who are different are dangerous, albeit unintentionally, so kill them."]

Also up on the list of most depressing things to read in school is a sci-fi short story called The Cold Equations (I think I'm remembering the title right.)

It's about a stowaway on a critical delivery mission in space. Turns out the ship had it's fuel calibrated for the exact weight of the ship, cargo, and pilot. The ultimate solution in the story is spoiler[to send the poor stowaway girl out the airlock. The only moral I got from that story was "no matter how hard you try, you will fail."]

Flowers for Algernon is pretty damned depressing too. Actually, almost everything you read in school is depressing!
0utf0xZer0

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:45 pm Reply with quote
mistress_reebi wrote:
Iron Chef wrote:

Sideways tangent to the recent ban on trans-fats at all restaurants in NYC (and a similar ban on foie gras in Chicago) based on health reasons. The folks supporting the ban are saying that they're tired of the crapola coming out of the deep fryers, and how dare these restaurants try to do this to us? If you're worried about your health, you probably ought not be looking towards the Batter-Dipped & Golden Brown section of the menu. There are always lovely salads made with different and better-for-you oils, so go eat them instead, yeah?

Don't get me started on this. I'll be nice and summerize this in a few words: people choose to be obese. Sure, naturally people are all different, but when one weighs the same as a whale, they need to fix their health. Also, weight is a number, like an age; who cares about it?

I actually would support a ban on trans-fat in my country given the option simply because I'm Canadian, and we have a public health system. Which I normally support, because I think it's helpful for a lot of people... but the drain put on the system by people who just don't care is pretty darn annoying. My mom has a friend who is a cardiac nurse, and she's pretty open about the fact she gets a lot of patients in their 30s and 40s now... and I get the impression she finds it an annoyance too.

(Also, technically I think the reason behind a transfat ban is because of the effect on one's arteries, not because it's necessarily any more fattening. But that's a technicality.)

On fanservice, since it's come back up again: I'll just openly say I have a bias here because I rather like it, though usually for the humour rather then because it's any sort of "turn on", because... err... most fanservice that attempts to do the latter ends up failing pretty badly. I'm also not too sure how bad an influence it is on kids simply because most fanservicy shows aren't targetted at kids, at least in North American release. Now, that isn't to say teens or even adults can't be impressionable as well, but I often find some of the arguments about the influence of such material seem to assume that people can't think, and that such material HAS to influence them, and that the viewer can't avoid being influenced. I mean, sure, I can see some guy getting a craving to see girl's panties after watching "Shuffle!", but I'm not too convinced that it's that common, and that such content actually convincing someone to do something dispicable because of it is even rarer.

The fact that even a few people are influenced negatively can haunt me sometimes, though. I really don't have a solution to that, especially since I am openly anti-censorship... namely because I really enjoy a lot of questionable content myself.

While I have a hunch most here would argue that the negative effect of anime on people is very limited, I'm curious as to what level of negative effect you people think it actually can have. I'm guessing you all are probably mature enough not to act like the problem is completely non-existant and chew out anyone who suggests otherwise (sad to say, but I've seen this happen on computer/video game sites).
unhealthyman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:01 pm Reply with quote
A pretty misguided and contradictory rant in my opinion.

Quote:
I'm deeply saddened every time I see a news story with a picture of a child carrying an AK-47 and instructed to kill. What are we doing to the innocence of these children? Do we want our children to be like the hardened Kirika from Noir, or the cold-blooded killers in Gunslinger Girl?

Clearly a war torn country in which children are forced to fight is not exactly an ideal environment. How exactly are 'we' doing anything to those children?

How exactly did you come to the conclusion that watching something in a film or anime implies that you would want our children to be like that film? When I watch Schindlers List is does not mean that I want to live in Nazi Germany, when I watch Leon (or The Professional) I do not want my daughter to become an assassin. You are supposed to take a moral from what happens in Gunslinger Girls... It is supposed to elicit some thought about the subject... Your reaction isn't supposed to be 'Kickass! I wish my kids were artificially enhanced brainwashed killing machines who will suffer an early death!!'

Quote:
Little do they know about the kinds of anime and manga there are finding their way to the hands of the young impressionable ones.

Well, if you are objecting to 'kids' anime - Naruto, DBZ etc. then perhaps you have a point. But I would like to point out how violent Tom and Jerry is and that is designed for younger children. Look at Itchy and Scratchy from the Simpsons which is parodying this culture of violence. I don't see how this should inspire us to write to our senators to complain about anime (which, incidentally, is a hobby we all clearly enjoy seeing as we are here on this site.) Why not instead complain about violent American TV? South Park is hardly a good role model for a child.

If you are worried about kids watching Berserk or Fist of the North Star, then that is what the ratings on the box are supposed to prevent. If your kids are watching stuff they shouldn't, then you clearly let them.

Quote:
I encourage all of you to boycott this tidal wave of violence.

Oh, ok. But you first.

Quote:
I enjoy fan service and violence (and all of the anime mentioned above. Well, maybe except Noir and Utena) as much as any hot-blooded male.

Oh, wait a second... A bit of a 360 turn here... So you DO like violent anime.

Quote:
I think I'll re-watch Kite for the third time.

Was this just a glib ending? Or do you really think everything you said before was a load of BS? Are you simply mocking us for wasting time reading the rest of the rant up to here?
silver_omicron

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Oh Zac, I hate to be that guy but I feel I just gotta speak up.

In your intro you implied a secular Christmas is one that neccessarily shouldn't have any emphasis on the family, or charity.

But on the contrary, I think Christmas, whether you spend the morning attending Church, or just opening presents, is about the family and charity regardless, even from the secular point of view. And if for some reason I am wrong, I think it's a good time to start changing that.
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:56 pm Reply with quote
I found the rant crazy confusing myself. Whatever it meant, though, I know that I like my fictional violence. I'm not into that macho blow everything up and fire the machine gun thing, ala so many action movies (if any of YOU are, that's cool too), but I like my violent fiction. Is that really a wrong thing? I used to feel pretty violent myself, but that's because I was an "emo kid" as a result of my homeschooling and over-protection from the world. I have never watched any show or movie that has made me want to hurt anyone.

I'll admit, I watched some DBZ in my youth, and even though it was a cut-up old Frieza saga episode, there was a violent and bloody scene that FUNi could not cut out. I thought "Cool!" I said it. Even so, is that wrong? I was rebelling, dudes. I was rebelling against the established normal. I knew that this sort of thing was "taboo". Everyone rebels at some point, no matter how small that rebellion is. Even so, I never had a desire to go out and start impaling people.

It was, of course, my over-protection that brought me down. The internet started to show me how cruel people can be, and I was several years behind on maturing at this point. Those people made me bitter for years, and were what made me feel so much like destroying people. It was a collapse of my imaginary nice-guy world. I'm not kidding when I say that I had NO FRIENDS at any point of my life at the time this happened.

Eventually, I saw Trigun when I was 19 years old, and it pretty much changed my views on life. I chose to be affected by the show, and it spoke to me so clearly, that I knew that I would have to grow up.

So, basically, this:

1: The only show that ever influenced me, influenced me to be LESS violent and angry, and I allowed it to because I wanted to, and I knew what was right.

2: I was bitter and felt violent because of PEOPLE and my own upbringing, not because of anything on television.

3: I'm not going to homeschool my future kids, nor hide reality from them.

4: "Felt violent" sounds ridiculous, but when you can't actually come in contact with any people, it's hard to BE violent, wouldn't you say?

5: In real life, PEOPLE GET HURT, including children. Stop trying to deny facts.

Thank you.

I think I'll add a comment about Christmas. I hate it. Well, not really Christmas, but I pretty much hate everything modern Christmas stands for. I always used to hear about it in the TV specials as the time when everyone gets together and all loves each other and everything is peaceful and stuff. All I see is a time where people struggle to buy things, waste a huge amount of resources, kill a ton of trees, create a lot of waste, and get driven into depressions bad enough to make them want to commit suicide (and many do). It just doesn't seem to me like something any of us should be happy about. With every year that passes, Christmas seems less and less like a special time to me. The magic is dead. Welcome to reality, I say.

Oh, and trans-fat should be banned completely. It's no different than a company putting arsenic in their food and saying, "You have a choice, now just pick the one you think doesn't have arsenic in it." It's not a matter of freedom here, unless freedom to KILL is a freedom you agree with.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
4) Shoujo-Ai/Shounen-Ai/Yaoi/Yuri. This, more than any other, will really get the Christian parent's blood boiling.
I largely agreed with that list based on my personal tastes until this part. Certainly there are Christians who view the subject of homosexuality negatively, but personally, I take the whole subject as one of venue appropriateness. Public displays of one's sexuality don't strike me as positive regardless of your preferences, but I really don't care much what consenting people do in their own bedrooms.

^^; Well, the point of the list was more joking about what will get the (stero)typical conservitive Christian parent upset, more than me trying to say "You shouldn't watch this, it's evil!" I personally disagree with homosexuality and avoid shows with overt themes of it, but I'm point isn't to tell everyone they have to do the same thing. I guess I'm what people call 'fundimentalist', although I hate being called that because people assume that I'm out blowing up abortion clinics when they hear the phrase. ._.

But yeah, nobody take that list seriously, please. ^^;
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Toshirodragon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:47 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Richard J
Flowers for Algernon is pretty damned depressing too. Actually, almost everything you read in school is depressing![/quote]

I finished that one threw it across the room and SCREAMED at my teacher "NEVER make me read anything so horrid EVER again!"
PaladinBlue

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Toshirodragon wrote:
Complete agreement. Absolute and complete agreement. Of Mice and Men is NOT a positive book. What point is that book even trying to make? All I took away from it was spoiler["people who are different are dangerous, albeit unintentionally, so kill them."]

Also up on the list of most depressing things to read in school is a sci-fi short story called The Cold Equations (I think I'm remembering the title right.)

It's about a stowaway on a critical delivery mission in space. Turns out the ship had it's fuel calibrated for the exact weight of the ship, cargo, and pilot. The ultimate solution in the story is spoiler[to send the poor stowaway girl out the airlock. The only moral I got from that story was "no matter how hard you try, you will fail."]

Flowers for Algernon is pretty damned depressing too. Actually, almost everything you read in school is depressing!

Agreed, especially if you're homeschooled with a "Christian" curriculum. Why? They love Shakespeare, and if there's one thing I know, you can NOT read Shakespeare as a piece of literature and enjoy it. You have to read Shakespeare as a script, and, more than likely, from the perspective of an actor, director, stage manager, or other kind of theatrical staff to be able to enjoy them.

That's one reason I'm eagerly awaiting GONZO's RomeoXJuliet. I want to see how these guys, who've successfully translated Seven Samurai and the Count of Monte Cristo into TV series, handle a Shakespeare classic.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Superiority is not all about who is stronger and the media should not portray violence as the solution to any problem. And to think that this is coming out of Japan, where I'd imagine the school jock culture isn't as strong as it is in the US.

yep. i can safely say Japan doesn't have a bullying problem Rolling Eyes

HitokiriShadow wrote:
I love the Gifts for People You Hate section. I'd like to see what you recommend for the Radical Fundamentalist Christian. Very Happy You know, the ones that were claiming Pokemon was from the devil and burned Pikachu effigies? And I'm completely serious in my desire to see the recomendation for them.

Evangelion Very Happy
animalia555

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
animalia555 wrote:
Also the most compelling reason I have heard for explaining Christanity's aversion to sexuality dates back to it early days when it was persecuted by the Roman Empire. In the curroupt Roman Empire that mercilessly persecuted the Early Christans wanton sexuality was practiced. There are too many examples to even describe a small sample of them. As a result early Christans associated sexuality with moral corruptness, and unnessecary sexuala acts outside of marriage (i.e. sex not intended for procreation) was condemned, and celibacy was considered the ideal. The idea still stubbornally persists to this day. In contrast eastern sociteties, including Japan generally had more balanced outlook on sexuality, combining pleasure and spirtuallity.
Goes back even further than that. Remember the Old Testament tale of Sodom and Gomorrah? Look what happened there before God showed us he was a nuclear power in his own right. It's where the term "sodomy" is first coined.
Actually many scholars of the Old Testament, especially most Jewish scholars, as well as liberal Christan scholars believe that the cities of Sodom & Gomorrah were destoyed, not because of the homosexuality but because the people who lived there ABDUCTED AND RAPED travellers to the city.
Quote:
Toshirodragon wrote:
I got from it that things that may initially seem cruel, are in fact acts of love. For example, spoiler[when George kills Lennie with a bullet through the head it seems cruel. However if he didn't do this Curly would have shot him through the gut which is a MUCH more painful way to die. This is because unlikely being shot through the head which kills instanly, being shot through the gut means you die slowly. The reason why is because when you're shot through the gut it isn't the bullet that kills you, but the leaking of hydrochloric acid from the gut that dissolves body tissues. George kills Lennie to save him from this suffering. This event is forshadowed when Candy has his aged and dying dog killed to put him out of his misery.]That being said I agree with you that this is a VERY depressing book.

Last edited by animalia555 on Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:59 pm; edited 3 times in total
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:47 pm Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
But yeah, nobody take that list seriously, please. ^^;
Oops, sorry about that. It seemed like a pretty reasonable list to me, so I thought it was seriously intended. Anime smile + sweatdrop

Toshirodragon wrote:
I finished that one threw it across the room and SCREAMED at my teacher "NEVER make me read anything so horrid EVER again!"
I cried. I'm not ashamed to admit it either. It was a heartbreaking ending and cruel. There was no point to having read it at all.

PaladinBlue wrote:
Agreed, especially if you're homeschooled with a "Christian" curriculum.
I'm not sure how being homeschooled with a "Christian" curriculum could possibly make any of the titles mentioned in previous posts any worse than they already were. Personally, if you're being homeschooled, I'd say that any problems are going to come from your parents rather than necessarily their religion, considering that not every Christian thinks and acts the same way.

I wish I had been homeschooled. My mother is a retired school teacher and my father is a lawyer. My education would have been considerably better if I'd been taught by them.

PaladinBlue wrote:
if there's one thing I know, you can NOT read Shakespeare as a piece of literature and enjoy it.
One-hundred percent true! One of my high school literature classes had a lesson on Shakespeare. The students had to read the parts out-loud, which would have been perfect, except that my class was full of morons.

First, we didn't finish Romeo and Juliet. Second, have you ever heard a group of people who can barely read on a fourth grade level trying to read Shakespeare? Ever seen a movie called Renaissance Man with Danny DeVito?

My high school class made those guys look like truly gifted Shakespearean actors. I was the only person in the class aside from the teacher who even knew how to pronounce the names correctly. (You don't even want to know how they pronounced some of them.)
animefan1238

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:08 pm Reply with quote
my friend saw the One Piece dub when it came to the states and i asked him how it was his reply was, "That might be one the worst dubs I have ever seen."

as for the rant, if someone doesn't like something; don't watch, buy or even pay attention to it. also I don't mind the violent anime/video games. if you don't take the violence seriously (playing GTA and you want to run over a cop Twisted Evil ) you won't be messed up for the rest of your life. some parents let their kids do and get anything. i saw a parent at a EB and bought her son a M vg! i was like "WHAT!?"

Quote:
Would you happen to know if there is going to be a Slutgirl dvd series?

lmao!
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10