• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Berserk Film Slated for Next January

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dangerr

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:02 am Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
Dangerr wrote:
I'm kind of skeptical, with them having said this would be THE faithful adaption of Berserk.

Oh, god does that mean I'd have to put up with watching puck? I liked that the original anime didn't have that little flying pest around. In some ways I think I liked the anime better than the manga as it felt a bit tighter story wise and didn't have any unnecessary fluff.

Wherever Puck showed up in the manga, expect him to be in the animations. I personally don't have a problem with Puck; he's saved Gut's ass on numerous occasions, and I believe is a genuinely likable character.
Ranemoraken

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:25 am Reply with quote
I agree, the anime was a much tighter rendition than the manga.

I really enjoy my grand epics - and although Berserk can read quite fast, I don't think 16 volumes in one movie is a good idea. Or if it starts off with the golden age...13 volumes.

But we don't know anything about this movie except for a couple animations they've shown.

I can remember four
- The skull knight
- Griffith and Guts second duel
- Zod taking flight
- someone holding the crimson behelet and having it move.

Now these trailers would indicate that they're covering a lot - but maybe they're teasing a set of films? If not, expect a cram session.
I like my stories to enjoy themselves and take time to explore the world they sit in. To show people traveling and to be quiet in a gentle moment.

But this is probably being crafted with love - so I'm open-minded to how they'll explore Berserk.
Ifrit30

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:38 am Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
Dangerr wrote:
I'm kind of skeptical, with them having said this would be THE faithful adaption of Berserk.

Oh, god does that mean I'd have to put up with watching puck? I liked that the original anime didn't have that little flying pest around. In some ways I think I liked the anime better than the manga as it felt a bit tighter story wise and didn't have any unnecessary fluff.

What? Are you serious?
Puck is one of my favorite characters in the series and the icing on the cake.
As he is a major character in the series there is no way that he'll be not in the anime.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:30 am Reply with quote
Will this be using the new moe style? Laughing
jtstellar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:46 am Reply with quote
meh i don't know

the general mood of the anime/manga community these days just doesn't seem like one that would replicate the mood of berserk well. popular trends tend to affect anime making greatly, however brief or short sighted these trends may be. when was the last time a reasonably gritty anime was made with an appropriate mood to the story setting? perhaps some of madhouse's works.. one about the samurai where someone tries to take revenge of his master.. the one with lots of human anatomy in cutting scenes and sword fights that never had an ending because manga wasn't finished.. forgot the name. and maybe kurozuka.

i could imagine them putting some emphasis on the BL elements in berserk even, to boost audience from the gender that must not be named.
Ranemoraken

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:50 am Reply with quote
jtstellar wrote:
meh i don't know

the general mood of the anime/manga community these days just doesn't seem like one that would replicate the mood of berserk well. popular trends tend to affect anime making greatly, however brief or short sighted these trends may be. when was the last time a reasonably gritty anime was made with an appropriate mood to the story setting? perhaps some of madhouse's works.. one about the samurai where someone tries to take revenge of his master.. the one with lots of human anatomy in cutting scenes and sword fights that never had an ending because manga wasn't finished.. forgot the name. and maybe kurozuka.

i could imagine them putting some emphasis on the BL elements in berserk even, to boost audience from the gender that must not be named.

Well, Claymore was made fairly recently, and has a very gritty art style.

But you are right, some of the scenes thus far do play on the "very pretty" aspects of Berserk - especially in regards to Griffith. But the man is extremely pretty anyway. I'm not too worried about the art, but the pacing.

Albeit, some of those 3d renders they have are... in need of more post production.
Dangerr

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:48 am Reply with quote
Ranemoraken wrote:
I agree, the anime was a much tighter rendition than the manga.

I really enjoy my grand epics - and although Berserk can read quite fast, I don't think 16 volumes in one movie is a good idea. Or if it starts off with the golden age...13 volumes.

But we don't know anything about this movie except for a couple animations they've shown.

I can remember four
- The skull knight
- Griffith and Guts second duel
- Zod taking flight
- someone holding the crimson behelet and having it move.

Now these trailers would indicate that they're covering a lot - but maybe they're teasing a set of films? If not, expect a cram session.
I like my stories to enjoy themselves and take time to explore the world they sit in. To show people traveling and to be quiet in a gentle moment.

But this is probably being crafted with love - so I'm open-minded to how they'll explore Berserk.

You're right about the clip samples, as they cover scenes all the way from Golden Age to the end of Conviction (So all the way through volumes 21). I believe those promotional shorts were made not only for the movie, but for the new animation saga in general; it would be absurd to try putting the first 21 volumes in one movie; there's just no way it's happening. At best, the first movie will only try to cover the first half of the Golden Age arc, ending somewhere around Griffith's duel /w Guts. Still, I don't know what they're going to do about the Black Swordsman arc, as it's the first 3 volumes before the prequel story - this portion itself would probably take up half the movie.

Last edited by Dangerr on Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
Ranemoraken

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:19 am Reply with quote
They showed something from Volume 21? What scene? I must have missed it. (Off to look at old footage)

BTW, I can sort of see the movie cutting the Golden age in half, or even in thirds if the movies are short. Heck, the Black Swordsman arc is a movie unto itself if they wanted. It has a pretty good climax too.

If I had to split the Golden Age in half, I would end with the capture of the Castle of Dolderoy - and begin the next movie with the ceremony.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:42 am Reply with quote
Finally it's going to happen. Hope they can fill stuff in. I'm looking forward to it. I wonder if there are any links that have the designs up.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Dangerr wrote:
Still, I don't know what they're going to do about the Black Swordsman arc, as it's the first 3 volumes before the prequel story - this portion itself would probably take up half the movie.

I suspect they'll just drop it. It's not bad but Berserk definitely doesn't really hit it's stride until the Golden Age arc and Black Swordsman is really just unnecessary.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:21 pm Reply with quote
jtstellar wrote:
meh i don't know

I'm pretty sure you are thinking of Shigurui: Death Frenzy which in many ways out-Berserks Berserk. After all, even Berserk didn't have a scene of a guy spoiler[blowing himself.]
Dangerr

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Ranemoraken wrote:
They showed something from Volume 21? What scene? I must have missed it. (Off to look at old footage)

BTW, I can sort of see the movie cutting the Golden age in half, or even in thirds if the movies are short. Heck, the Black Swordsman arc is a movie unto itself if they wanted. It has a pretty good climax too.

If I had to split the Golden Age in half, I would end with the capture of the Castle of Dolderoy - and begin the next movie with the ceremony.

Whoops, my bad; it's vol. 22 - the very first promo scene, with Griffith in his spoiler[fancy new "reincarnated" armor], obviously the scene at the hill of swords.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Ifrit30 wrote:
One-Eye wrote:

What? Are you serious?
Puck is one of my favorite characters in the series and the icing on the cake.
As he is a major character in the series there is no way that he'll be not in the anime.

I'm absolutely serious and he wasn't in the original anime either. For me Puck always came off as one of those mascot characters that can be animals, weird or fantastical creatures and even children. From what I've observed mascots tend to fall into 2 categories: the cute ones (with merchandising potential) and the comic relief. Puck tended to be comic relief and a walking/flying potion of healing. I don't have a problem with comedy and yea it could help ease up on the grimness of Berserk, but the kind of comedy did not seem to jive well with the tone of Berserk for me.

Now to be fair I have not read Berserk in a long time and I did not get too far beyond the Golden Age/Black Swordsman Arc. So its possible that Puck developed into a better and more interesting character later. However, if he pretty much stayed the same old Puck later on then I'm not really interested in seeing him. I still like the manga and especially the anime, just not crazy about that character.
Scormio

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:32 pm Reply with quote
I hope they don't draw out the Golden Age arc. Don't get me wrong, I'm a rabid Berserk fan, and I think the Golden Age arc is good, but I don't think Berserk really hits it's stride until Farnese, Serpico, and Schierke (especially Schierke) join up.
DarkFusion

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Should be interesting to see what this film will be exactly. BTW, does anyone know if Gutts and co. have gotten of that boat yet in the manga?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3