• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - What's Wrong With Fan Translations?

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:09 pm Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
On the topic of memes and pop culture references, sometimes they have to be interchanged to make sense to an audience. Translation notes are not an option in most anime and games. For example... "I'm a Downtown Napoleon." Makes no sense, right? But if you read into the Japanese culture clues (which even many of my Japanese friends didn't get), Downtown Napoleon is a brand of sake that's cheap, strong, and common. By replacing this in a joke with something like, Jack Daniels (cheap, common, strong), you're able to connect with an audience of a different culture.

'Downtown Napoleon' is an 'English translation' (jokingly done by Japanese people) of the catchphrase 'Shitamachi no Napoléon' printed by the Sanwa Shurui company on the labels of some of their liquors.
'Napoléon' is a kind of high-grade Cognac/Armagnac, and people tend to be under the stereotyped impression that 'shitamachi' is an area where plebians live. (There is some question whether 'downtown' is a good translation for 'shitamachi', and actually shitamachi is not necessarily an area for 'plebians', but that's another story. See, for example, books written by Tanizaki Jun'ichirō, Uekusa Jin'ichi and Kobayashi Nobuhiko.) So the Sanwa Shurui company wants to say, 'This is a good liquor, but this is not expensive.' But some people think it is funny because in a sense it can sound like 'a poor man's Napoléon' or something along those lines. So the point of the catchphrase/joke is that it consists of the part which connotes 'commoners'' and the part which connotes 'upmarket stuff'. If you want your English equivalent to also convey the point, it is better for you to put the connotations in question into your translation.

SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Adamanto wrote:
The series itself is from the early 90s, but the DVD release in question is from 2013.

Regardless, I have a hard time viewing an issue with a rerelease of an old show as evidence of a current problem. I mean do you even know when it was last translated entirely from scratch?

hyojodoji wrote:
'Downtown Napoleon' is an 'English translation' (jokingly done by Japanese people) of the catchphrase 'Shitamachi no Napoléon' printed by the Sanwa Shurui company on the labels of some of their liquors.

Cool story. (Being totally serious)
loka

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Actar wrote:

Speaking of references, what about subtle puns and hints that are always in Japanese character names? For instance, Mikuru's (from Haruhi) name uses the alternate pronunciation of the kanji for 'future' (mirai), alluding to her true identity as a time traveler. Japanese audiences would pick up on this fact. Should she be named "Future"?

Don't you mean to say 'future-men' , as the 'skillful' industry put it?

The scripts are a huge boon, I imagine.
omiya

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

As for insert songs not getting translated? That I see as a whole separate (if related) issue, and I'd agree that it is a more common problem. Of course, some of those insert songs have lyrics so lame that they are probably better off not being translated. . . Rolling Eyes

Well, there are good insert songs like the FictionJunction YUUKA tracks:

Hitomi no Kakera and its B side Nowhere, (Madlax)
Inside Your Heart and its B side I'm Here (Madlax),
Akatsuki no Kuruma (Gundam SEED),
Honoh no Tobira (Gundam SEED Destiny)

and Nana Mizuki tracks:

Pray (Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha Strikers),

Don't Be Long (Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha Movie),

Brave Phoenix (Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha)

and May'n:

Iteza☆Gogo Kuji Don't be late (Macross Frontier),

and Psychic Lover:

Kodō ~get closer~ (Witchblade),

Yousei Teikoku:

Tamakui (Ga-Rei Zero),

Faylan:

Dark Side of the Light (Ga-Rei Zero),

Chiaki Ishikawa:

Ruisen (Sengoku Basara 2),

Masaaki Endoh:

Carry On (Muv-Luv Alternative),

I noticed that the lyrics for Alchemy and Crow Song from Angel Beats appear in both romaji and English on my copy of the blu-ray of the Angel Beats anime.

I'll grant that Gravity by m.o.v.e (Lucky Star) is a bit silly but deliberately so.

Last edited by omiya on Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:37 am; edited 1 time in total
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:40 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:

hyojodoji wrote:

In the example I was giving, I translated Downtown Napoleon on my own, but in the original Japanese script, it was just "Shitamachi Napoelon." So no, that's not a joke on the Japanese side of things...
Ali07

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
^^ I actually kind of liked the "Just because you're correct doesn't mean you're right" line because it's wordplay on the shades of meaning each of the words can carry. Practically or objectively correct and morally right aren't always the same. And this discussion, as you suggested, is also a prime example - just because it's a correct translation doesn't mean it's the right translation. So that line to me was actually food for thought about what he was saying so succinctly.

I remember that line too, and I also found no problem with it. And, that's because I came to the same conclusion.
shodex

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:48 pm Reply with quote
The way I see it, if fan subs and scanslations didn't exist we wouldn't have Duwang. So nothing you could possibly say against fan translations really matters.
yaki-udon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:31 am Reply with quote
Iichiko (shitamachi no Napoleon) is cheap, but tastes good. I read somewhere that Nakai-kun from an idol group called SMAP drinks it everyday.
ninjaquick

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:27 am Reply with quote
So, I agree, anime fansubs are wildly variable in quality. However, the biggest pro-sin that exists is contextualizing the topics being translated into a western framework. This alone frustrates me to no end.

Yes, it has gotten better and better as anime has become more mainstream, but shows still suffer from it. Not to mention without fansubs you likely cannot have pros. And if a pro was not a fansubber before, I legitimately cannot trust them.

Anime does not exist in a cultural or societal vacuum, and it seems like US publishers don't get this. CR does a really good job, but every now and then major deviations are made for who knows what reason, from non-plot gags, to major plot points. While fansubs can miss the nuance the writer wants from time to time, the cultural themes seem to be much more consistently rendered.

Ultimately, I do subscribe to Funimation and Crunchyroll, but I will also watch fansubs of simulcast shows (of the non baked/horrible varieties) because I really enjoy how some groups do their translations.

Now, this may be irrelevant, but I am fairly well versed in Bible theory and history. I understand translations fairly well since every Bible in circulation is one translation or another, some are translations of translations of translations. To that effect, I appreciate having different translations. I can understand anime just fine without subs, but legitimately enjoy taking both in, finding incongruencies, or seeing how different groups and individuals do the subs for a specific monologue, or phrase. It is all interesting.

TL;DR: Official anime subs from yesteryear often were total shit, and lacked the original nuance and meaning of what was being said in japanese.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:50 am Reply with quote
I must admit, I have done some...analog scanlating. I was little and had no graphics editing software (GIMP hadn't yet existed, and my parents didn't see the point in purchasing any graphics software), but I did take volumes of Doraemon translated into another language I DID know, translating them to English and taping over the speech balloons with cut-out strips of paper where I wrote the dialogue in English.

Even then, I prioritized making sure dialogue felt natural (which was not always easy), meaning I had to write these in advance and tweak what everyone was saying where necessary. I notice some scanlations don't even do this, and I have to wonder if people who like this sort of translation best really converse in real life in this way. Obviously, I knew my translations are not to be taken seriously, as they're not from Japanese and were hand-crafted, and I didn't think the translation itself was very good anyway. I did it for fun.

But all that meant I learned the hardships of having to translate a work from one language to another and how very imprecise it is. Translation is an art, and it sometimes feels like trying to paint a picture for a blind person.

I also did it for long enough to get an angry response because I translated it in the first place. "What have you done? You've killed it!," he said. He's the sort of kid who intended to learn Japanese to try to bypass this whole thing because he didn't want anime or manga translated AT ALL.

corinthian wrote:
The lovely folks at Sparkler Monthly just did a podcast that includes a bit of discussion on this subject. Most of the panelists were current or former manga editors who heard their share of complaints. My favorite was that the official translation flowed too easily. Somebody actually thought that human beings speaking should be stilted and awkward, because translation or whatever.

That, or they were grasping at straws to justify their piracy, which is another, entirely separate discussion.

Then you get stuff like Home Movies, but I'm guessing they meant a different kind of stilted and awkward. Real-life conversation stiltiness and awkwardness is based around stutters, the inability to find the right word, talking too loudly or too quietly, and talking over each other (which is what Home Movies does), which I doubt is what they mean, so I'm sure it was an excuse. You also won't see many movies or TV shows having dialogue predominantly in this way because it is downright annoying to have to listen to for long.

Speaking of podcasts, The Unofficial One Piece Podcast recently put up their editorial on fan translations and argue strictly on the professonals' side. So it makes for a counterpoint, I guess.

DuelGundam2099 wrote:
This was a thing? Seriously? How did that happen? Laughing

Yes, it did happen, and my best guess is it comes from translators who either don't know "Levi" is a real name or don't know how it can be pronounced. I guess they aren't into bluejeans.

Alan45 wrote:
@WingKing

I'm not sure who actually listens to those vinyl albums they are selling now, but I seriously doubt it is people who had to deal with those things back in the day. When CDs became affordable, I couldn't wait to replace as much of my collection as possible. The only difference I ever heard between digital and analog was the absence of pops, clicks and hiss on the digital side. The only advantage to vinyl albums is the size of the cover art.

I've met people who listen to vinyls FOR the pops, clicks, and hisses. They want to hear their music rough and imperfect. The scratchier, the better (as long as it's not actually a broken record). Secondhand stores and thrift shops now sell old, used vinyl records for precisely this audience.

Videogamep wrote:
Since we're talking about fan translations, I'll just leave this here. http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/User%3AKaido_King_of_the_Beasts/Hall_of_Mangapanda

I take those bad scanlations and raise a bad fansubbing line.

Really though, some of those scanlations...One Piece has the names, IN ENGLISH, right there in the manga. How could they possibly miss those? It took me a while to figure out who "Heildeen" is until I realized they refer to Hajrudin, whose name was spelled in big Roman letters when we first saw him. Some of these read like something out of Cake Wrecks.

Actar wrote:
I have my own preferences and extensive thoughts on the issue, but perhaps I'll save those for another time. Right now, it seems that the fansubs and official subs are swapping roles - with fansubs becoming more liberal and official subs becoming more literal. (I love how the dub of Beyond the Boundary kept the term "Youmu" when fansubs were making every excuse to sub it.)

It's still the other way around with One Piece. Scanlation/fansub fans get so very uppity if so much as "Gomu Gomu no Mi" is translated.

SilverTalon01 wrote:
The column made a really big point about the advantages of the professional translators, but I think it ignored a very important advantage 'some' fan translators have: they are fans.

What I mean is that context is incredibly important when trying to translate something. Being very familiar with a work in advance can clue you in to what a line is really saying. Considering how many series coming out are either adaptions of LN / manga or sequels / spinoffs, I don't think that advantage should be ignored.

Some professional translators do too. Stephen Paul is one such case, as he goes around as panel speakers at conventions. There are probably not as many among professional translators as fan translators though, and he used to be a fan translator before freelancing professionally.

Ali07 wrote:
The only issue I ever tend to have with official translations is when they get rid of "-san" and the like. There are times when the "onee-chan" thing comes up, but I'd say it reads more awkwardly if they keep in "big sister" than just having the sister's name.

I don't know many English speakers that refer to their sibling that way, beyond the first time you meet their sibling(s).

To be fair, not many English speakers refer to older sisters as "onee-chan" either. They just refer to them by given name.

SilverTalon01 wrote:
Absolutely. I see a lot of comments about translations treating it almost like a math equation where they see X, think X=Y, and any answer but Y is wrong. However, like you said, it is really more like creative writing.

This is the predominant way I've seen monolingual English speakers think translation works. The ones who haven't given much thought about translation seem to think that translation is simply plugging in a text, word by word, and spitting out each word's equivalent in the other language. Not only do they think translation is a one-to-one deal, they don't ever think the words have to be re-ordered either.

DRosencraft wrote:
Not to get too far on a tangent, but this topic, I believe, is an extension of the prevailing anti-professional culture that is growing in western, particularly American, culture at the moment. It is the basic idea that anyone that has "professional" as a title is somehow inherently corrupted or discourteous or uninformed relative to the layman. I won't speculate on motivations, but I would say it isn't only in the question of fan subs vs pro subs. This is just the latest (relatively speaking) in a growing minutia of layman who decry so-called experts.

Nah, I'd say it's been like this for a long time. Scientists of all disciplines have been victim to this mindset for centuries. What's recent is the spread to non-academic fields.

#837783 wrote:
Though I just hate seeing stuff localised to the point that its Japaneseness is all filled off. Its especially true of shows that are set in Japan or about Japanese people. Dropping how people greet each other and what things/people are called are important there.

I don't want to see kotatsu simply called heaters. Or foods all renamed to something non Japanese.

Being somewhat new to anime/manga I feel like disputing the whole 'it makes it easier for newbies' argument. I certainly didn't find the use of Japanese terms a barrier, if anything it got me more interested and led me down the rabbit hole of reading books about Japan.

Not everyone is like that though. There would be plenty of people who'd find all the unexplained Japanese terms intimidating or frustrating and go watch something that they understand better. You have that curiosity. I do too. I do this with a lot of different subjects. But this sort of curiosity, I would say, is in the minority because it takes effort.

AnimeLordLuis wrote:
In my opinion another reason that fans complain about the official translations is that they're just out there looking for a fight, whether they are having a bad day or they think that their intellect is superior to the professionals they are just asking for trouble. Rolling Eyes

This is how I feel about some Naruto fans. I see them complain about dub pronunciation constantly. They want the actors to not only pronounce them properly, but with a Japanese accent because that's the benchmark for a proper pronunciation. (The most common case I see them derogatorily spelling "Hokage" as "Hoka-gay.") That makes no sense whatsoever and is the equivalent of requiring anyone dubbing Elmer Fudd in Looney Tunes to flawlessly pronounce "Bugs Bunny" the way Mel Blanc would've.

Actar wrote:
I can understand wanting to play it safe, but are they that alien though? Hollywood movies always feel the need to make every Japanese character ever, refer to others with honorifics. "Wax on, wax off, Danniel-san!" As annoying and racist as that is, it shows that people aren't beyond understanding what it means.

But, with regard to your point of people not understanding what it means, why are you leaving kotatsu in? It can be translated as "heated table". I would argue that dish names like onigiri are culture specific too. Besides, they do get used in the English language (in restaurants and such). Heck, there was a Food Network segment about spam musubi. What about takoyaki? Okonomiyaki? Pocari Sweat? Calpis? No one outside of Japan will know what these are, but do you need to translate/localize them? A quick Google search will tell you that takoyaki are octopus balls and that Calpis is a of brand carbonated soft drink.

Take a look at British shows. Do they change ‘torch’ to ‘flashlight’ or ‘car park’ to ‘parking lot’ or ‘bangers and mash’ to ‘sausages and mashed potatoes’? Nope. Yes, you could make the argument that it’s still English, but people outside the UK get stumped by the colloquialisms and cultural references all the same. Wanna enjoy them to the fullest? Tough luck, you gotta get yourself immersed in the culture. Yet, when it comes to other languages, we feel the need to spoon-feed the viewer by transforming everything into something familiar and relatable.

Regarding ignorance of Japanese culture, yes, more often than not, if you don't live in Asia or an area with a lot of Asian people, the locals will be completely clueless. I moved from Los Angeles (which has a high enough Asian population to have a Chinatown, a Little Tokyo, a Thai Town, a Koreatown, a Little Saigon, and several scattered Filipino districts) for a few years to a city that's 74.5% white for college (according to the 2010 census anyway). I had some pretty big culture shock. With the case of "rice balls," everybody there knows about rice, but not everyone knows it can be shaped into balls--enough people pour enough soy sauce into their bowls of rice to lose their starchy stickiness--that they don't see it as something that can be shaped. They'd also be confused what that black rectangle is; rice is one thing, but seaweed is another (and I've had multiple tell me that it sounds gross to eat). When I requested rice be served at my nearest dining hall because they kept cooking Chinese, Japanese, and Thai dishes without rice, they instead served rice where it wouldn't make sense, putting it next to pizza or hamburgers.

Sushi is the extent to what people in that city know about Japanese food, and yes, they dump soy sauce onto everything at these establishments. I talk about teriyaki chicken and I get confused stares or am asked to elaborate (or they're puzzled as to why they'd put the chicken on top of the rice, as to them it's the equivalent of ordering steak and potatoes and them putting your steak on top of your potatoes). I talk about takoyaki and they think I'm talking about tacos. Some know about sake but most, in that city, just order beer if they want something alcoholic. So yes, I do think that these things, even if they seem basic to you or easy to search, require at least some explanation. Otherwise, they might as well be roast locusts as eaten in central Africa or jaboticabas as eaten in Brazil.

Hollywood movies tend to use only "-san" as an honorific suffix and apply it to absolutely everybody young or old, man or woman. In TV shows like The Flintstones or movies like Breakfast Club, it's treated as a speech quirk and played for laughs. Probably due to this, "-san" is the only honorific that's become common knowledge in the United States.

The British TV shows that make it to North America tend to have a VERY hard time catching on to the mainstream, and the ones that do play up their Britishness. Doctor Who is the only show I can think of even close to getting into the North American mainstream, and shows like Kitchen Nightmares and Top Gear get United States versions instead. BBC America is a niche channel aimed at people who know the British terms and understand British culture. I remember how North American trailers for Arthur Christmas and Paddington Bear carefully avoided any dialogue; presumably, people speaking British English can scare off large amounts of potential American viewers. (Didn't stop stuff like the Harry Potter movies though.)

H. Guderian wrote:
Part of the problem is that since translation is their hobby they seem to like to talk about the Encoding, File Size, how the other groups name their file, quality of certain translated lines, and etc. its nice talking about what you like, but that takes up time they could be talking about the show itself.

That's pretty common among technicians and engineers when they're the ones responsible for promoting something. It does makes sense, as all of this technical stuff is what they've been doing and thus what they're most proud of.

I can think of a startup that was intended to create games but was founded by a technician. When he'd go to expos to try to sell his product, he was completely hung up on the technical specs, how streamlined it is, and things it could do that its competition could not (or had not been seen doing). His general reception: The gameplay was good, but his game was ugly, the graphics were ugly, and the interface was ugly. A lot of passers-by outright ignored it too. He did take it to heart though and brought in a dedicated art team, and people liked it a lot more. He admitted, later on, that he didn't think people would care about the way the game's artistic appeal. He focused entirely on practicality and thought other people would too.

Zalis116 wrote:
"My balls aren't here" = R1 script

Yeah, I remember watching the dub for Scryed and hearing this character constantly screaming things like "WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO MY BALLS?" and "STOP ATTACKING MY BALLS!" the whole battle. He had an unfortunate power.

ZeArNkN wrote:
I take it the thumbnail for the article came from an actual fan translation? If so, it's both funny and cringey at the same time.

"Just according to keikaku" is fake, and it was made to poke fun at certain fan translators who pointlessly keep things in Japanese.
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:13 am Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
SilverTalon01 wrote:

In the example I was giving, I translated Downtown Napoleon on my own, but in the original Japanese script, it was just "Shitamachi Napoelon." So no, that's not a joke on the Japanese side of things...

Sorry if I misunderstood your remark, but possibly what you mean is that you thought up the translation 'Downtown Napoleon'?
Actually, before your posting the message on this thread, Japanese people translated 'Shitamachi no Napoléon' as 'Downtown Napoléon' and have been already using the translation 'Downtown Napoléon' as a humorous 'Anglicised' expression to mean iichiko (liquor made by the Sanwa Shurui company).
http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/kiyoshiroo7/8609976.html
http://blog.livedoor.jp/todozo108/archives/50608061.html
http://www.geocities.co.jp/SweetHome-Ivory/9248/bar01.html
As I said, the catchphrase/another name for the liquor 'Shitamachi no Napoléon', too, can sound funny because it has the two contradictory elements (A commoners' area which people tend to think is more Japanese and old-fashioned versus Up-market stuff from the West).
Also, the catchphrase 'Shitamachi no Napoléon' was devised in 1979, and it is now rather dated. It is Shōwa-ish. Its being dated also adds extra funniness to the catchphrase 'Shitamachi no Napoléon'.

Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:42 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Quote:
I've met people who listen to vinyls FOR the pops, clicks, and hisses.

Well, De gustibus non est disputandum I guess nostalgia can do weird things to people. Back when records were the thing, the entire ritual was intended to minimize the damage caused by playing vinyl records. Having spent a great deal of money in the past to get the best quality sound, I find it odd that most people only listen to MP3s through cheap ear buds these days. To each is own, I suppose.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:51 pm Reply with quote
No, I think it's part of the retro fad that's been going around. None of these people I speak of were old enough to have been anything more than a little kid when vinyls were the dominant way to listen to music. They crave its old-sounding nature. It has some charm they like to it. (By contrast, the people I know who ARE old enough to have lived through the vinyl age have all moved to CDs and MP3s or other digital sound formats.)

I don't like these noises getting in the way of my music (unless they were put there deliberately by the artists), so I can't really say exactly what's so appealing about it, but I'd guess it's pretty similar to how some people like watching silent films or how some people are against their digital restoration, or how some people spend their time playing 8- and 16-bit games on CRT televisions.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:52 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I'd guess it's pretty similar to how some people like watching silent films [...].

With all due respect (and no disrespect intended).....
Have you seen Metropolis? What about The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari? (ostensibly available here) People are still reading Jane Austen, the Bronte sisters and William Shakespeare, after all.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:07 pm Reply with quote
@nobahn

I suspect she was thinking of those silent films that have been played so often that it is hard to see the image through the scratches.

I think it is easy to make a distinction between books, records and movies that are merely old and those that are both old and damaged. Almost all of the music that is now being made on vinyl is available on CDs with excellent fidelity.

I have a lot of books printed in the late 1800s and early 1900s. Ironically they are often in much better condition than books published later, especially books from the 1950s. The older books used much better paper. Some books from the 1950s have browned to the point of being hard to read. They also used better binding techniques and materials.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 15