• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - What's Wrong With Fan Translations?

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ali07

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:08 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
To be fair, not many English speakers refer to older sisters as "onee-chan" either. They just refer to them by given name.

True, which is why I went on and mentioned that later in the post you quoted. I mean, I mention it on the next line. Laughing
Ali07 wrote:
I don't know many English speakers that refer to their sibling that way, beyond the first time you meet their sibling(s).
tofukitty

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Kazemon15 wrote:

There's also NIS America's translation of the new Cardcaptor Sakura blu-rays that bug me too, where Sakura clearly says Syaoran's last name, but his first name is translated on the subtitles, completely changing the context of a later issue with this in the series.

Professionally translations are generally better, but there are a few times where they are not and where fan input should be considered, in my opinion at least.

I was hoping the article would touch on something more like this. While I love my new CCS blu-Rays their translation bugs me first Shaoran is spelled the Chinese way, Xiaolan, which isn't huge but is intimidating especially if you weren't sure what his name is. And then there was the flipping of first and last names for example Sakura calls him Li for most of the series, then later asks if she can call him by his first name. This didn't happen in the NIS Version, she always calls him Xiaolan Considering how important the personal relationships are to this show it rubbed me the wrong way.
I thought of pointing out my objections-nicely- to NiS America so they might avoid doing so in the future, after all they can't read minds! Then I read about all the crap translators get in this article and I'm a little hesitant.
Oh well just nice to know I wasn't the only one bugged by that.
Of course in the Dark Horse manga Shoaran uses Sakuras name during the test of courage, WAY too early instead of saying "you" *sigh* I'm just happy to have the volumes tho I could barely read TP's version because they tried to translate Kero's accent!
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:37 pm Reply with quote
nobahn wrote:
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I'd guess it's pretty similar to how some people like watching silent films [...].

With all due respect (and no disrespect intended).....
Have you seen Metropolis? What about The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari? (ostensibly available here) People are still reading Jane Austen, the Bronte sisters and William Shakespeare, after all.

And I don't mean any disrespect to anyone who's a fan of silent films either. I HAVE watched a lot of them (and The General is one of my favorite movies I have ever seen). I'm just classifying people who prefer silent film over sound film (and oppose their restoration outside of recovered footage) as just another type of movie viewer, just as I classify people who prefer vinyl over digital or people who prefer 8- and 16-bit non-emulated gaming over later games for reasons other than nostalgia. They like the old, worn-out quality to them.

Ali07 wrote:
True, which is why I went on and mentioned that later in the post you quoted. I mean, I mention it on the next line. Laughing
Ali07 wrote:
I don't know many English speakers that refer to their sibling that way, beyond the first time you meet their sibling(s).

Whoops, I missed that for some reason. Sorry about it.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:39 am Reply with quote
One show whose official translation drove me crazy was Saiunkoku Monogatari. There are two "Kou" clans in the story, pronounced slightly different in Japanese. The protagonist Shurrei belongs one of them; the other appears briefly in a few places. The novelist and her publisher were concerned foreign viewers would not notice the different voicings and convinced Geneon USA to use the Chinese translation of "Kou Shurrei" with the reverse name order so she was called "Shurrei Hong" throughout. (The show takes in a faux T'ang Dynasty setting.) I don't have a problem with that change on the English dub track, but it was incredibly annoying when also used in the subtitles. Shurrei is called by her full name repeatedly throughout the story, yet we see "Shurrei Hong" in the subtitles every time we hear "Kou Shurrei" on the audio track.

The fansubs naturally made no such change. Even though I own the DVDs I watch the fansubs still for this reason.

When I watched Oh! Edo Rocket in fansubs, I was convinced it would never be licensed in the US because it was just "too Japanese." If there's a distinction between "localization" and "translation" when it comes to adapting anime, Funimation's version of Rocket definitely falls into the first category. Some of the Americanized jokes are funny. North Edo Magistrate Toyama Kinshiro, who wanted people to call him "Kin the Playboy," was interpreted as impersonating Elvis. The very difficult to render New Year's recap that begins episode fifteen is funny both ways. Funimation explicitly presents the recap as designed for American audiences including a reference to the "History Channel." In the original the characters wonder among themselves how a parody of Japanese television will be understood by foreign viewers.

The excellent fansubber for this show offered useful notes for the historical events and personages this show portrays and other cultural references as well. For example, he translated all the historical events that appear on Sora's board in episode fifteen, which Funimation did not. Funi's Sora berated her American viewers for only being able to recognize maybe a couple of the kanji especially ones the audience might be wearing as tattoos.
Adamanto

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:38 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
One show whose official translation drove me crazy was Saiunkoku Monogatari. There are two "Kou" clans in the story, pronounced slightly different in Japanese. The protagonist Shurrei belongs one of them; the other appears briefly in a few places. The novelist and her publisher were concerned foreign viewers would not notice the different voicings and convinced Geneon USA to use the Chinese translation of "Kou Shurrei" with the reverse name order so she was called "Shurrei Hong" throughout. (The show takes in a faux T'ang Dynasty setting.) I don't have a problem with that change on the English dub track, but it was incredibly annoying when also used in the subtitles. Shurrei is called by her full name repeatedly throughout the story, yet we see "Shurrei Hong" in the subtitles every time we hear "Kou Shurrei" on the audio track.

And on the opposite side of the spectrum, it drives me nuts when subs for anime based on something Chinese (usually the Four Great Classical Novels) insist on using the Japanese names for everything, making it hideously frustrating to realize what name is ACTUALLY being used.

Both prosubs and fansubs suffer from this problem
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Adamanto wrote:
And on the opposite side of the spectrum, it drives me nuts when subs for anime based on something Chinese (usually the Four Great Classical Novels) insist on using the Japanese names for everything, making it hideously frustrating to realize what name is ACTUALLY being used.

Both prosubs and fansubs suffer from this problem

I think it is just lose/lose in cases like that. If you use the Chinese name in the sub, it doesn't match what you hear, and sometimes is pretty far off from the Japanese which can make it harder to get everyone straight initially. Some of these series are also taking place in Japan which, to me anyway, makes Chinese names seem very off.

However, because the Japanese name can be so far off from the Chinese, it makes it really hard to get the reference with both the audio and subtitles using the Japanese name. If they're referencing something, I definitely would like to be able to tell what.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:45 pm Reply with quote
I remember helpfully (I though) reporting a mistake to one of the Kiddy Grade fansub groups on IRC (it seemed logical to me that if one secretary is called Mercredi then another one is probably not "Bindledee") so that it could be corrected in future episodes and getting yelled at for my trouble.

The cap for the worst official US simulcast subtitles is, I believe, still worn by To Love-Ru Darkness, beating even the early Crunchyroll subs for Koihime Musou.

Hameyadea wrote:
I just noticed that myself and corrected it. Stupid mistakes at the A.M., I guess.

It's still wrong in the current revision of your post: "(レヴィアタン Rivaitan)"
The romaji here should be Reviatan.

TarsTarkas wrote:
Kill la Kill was quite interesting with its "Stripped of the Will to Fight" vs "Fiber Lost". "Fiber Lost" was the professional translation, but it seemed so generic.

I can't remember what came up on screen in the show, but that sounds like a furigana gloss, where you have Kanji that mean one thing with a specific English phrase attached (see all the ability names made up by the chuuni lead in Inou Battle).

mrsatan wrote:
I think the silliest thing that fans whine about is the demand for honorifics (-san, -chan, -kun, -sama, etc.) to be placed in subs instead of being translated or ignored.

They've successfully bullied most everyone into doing this. Even if the anime takes place entirely in a Western setting with no Japanese people, we have to have Japanese honorifics for some reason.

Ignoring honourifics completely is a bad thing, since they do have meaning - even often in western settings if the writer is Japanese.
Del-Rey retains honourifics as a matter of course, but it led to some weird hybrid terms in Negima like "sister-chan" and "headmaster-sensei", and deciding not to follow this rule with Nekane lead to that huge backpedal when she turned out to be a cousin rather than a sister...

ebv2406 wrote:
Fans do have every right to complain for errors specially if they repeat them over and over, we are paying, simple as that. So it's not "seMpai", it's "seNpai", I know at least enough japanese to know senpai has the "N" sound in the middle, and the closest thing to "M" is "mu".

You clearly know just enough to think you know more than you do know, without realising how much you don't know.

mewpudding101 wrote:
But where did this person get the idea that ALL ANN staffers think that fansubs are the scum of the earth or something?

ANN's official stance has always been that they have no official stance and individual staff members have their own opinions. ANN even interviewed a fansubber (before he created the company now subsumed by and responsible for Crunchyroll's in-house subtitling).

fuuma_monou wrote:
Quote:
Yen Press seems to be proving both these points completely wrong.

Can you cite specific examples?

I actually do have one specific example of Miaha/Miach in the Danmachi novels (along with some other translation glitches). Evidently it did get caught, but not till after the first novel was already in print.

Key wrote:
As for insert songs not getting translated? That I see as a whole separate (if related) issue, and I'd agree that it is a more common problem. Of course, some of those insert songs have lyrics so lame that they are probably better off not being translated. . . Rolling Eyes

Kaze decided not to subtitle insert songs for Penguindrum. So it is a pity that large segments of one episode were preformed as a music...

[edit: fixed quote tags]

Last edited by Shiroi Hane on Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:04 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Adamanto

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:12 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:

I think it is just lose/lose in cases like that. If you use the Chinese name in the sub, it doesn't match what you hear, and sometimes is pretty far off from the Japanese which can make it harder to get everyone straight initially.

I'd say it's a hell of a lot harder to get everyone straight when you need to have a spreadsheet handy to keep track of who the hell "Ryofu" and "Sousou" are supposed to be all the time. Unless you have absolutely zero familiarity with the source material and treat all names as fantasy names the author made up, in which case the plot is going to be largely lost on you anyway, I really don't see what there is to lose.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Ignoring honourifics completely is a bad thing, since they do have meaning - even often in western settings if the writer is Japanese.

If by "ignoring" you mean not in the subtitles, then I disagree. You lose nothing because you can still hear them. There are plenty of other parts of Japanese that convey additional meaning like honorifics which are "ignored." If you actually know what they mean, you still get all the meaning because it isn't like they're censoring the audio. If you don't know, then seeing honorifics in the subtitles is meaningless and might actually be confusing to some.

Now for manga or LN where the original Japanese isn't accompanying the english, I do see your point.

Shiroi Hane wrote:
Can you cite specific examples?

I know he gave at least one which was Thorn Bind Hostage being wrong in Log Horizon.

Adamanto wrote:
Unless you have absolutely zero familiarity with the source material and treat all names as fantasy names the author made up, in which case the plot is going to be largely lost on you anyway, I really don't see what there is to lose.

Sorry, but that is a load of crap. Every single example I can think of does enough in series explaining of key points to be able to follow the plot in the anime. There might be some where that isn't the case, but no, you can't just assume the plot is going to be largely lost on people.

Adamanto wrote:
I'd say it's a hell of a lot harder to get everyone straight when you need to have a spreadsheet handy to keep track of who the hell "Ryofu" and "Sousou" are supposed to be all the time.

That is only applicable to keeping straight the historical reference of each character and not to actually the anime characters themselves. However, hearing the name and seeing the name doubly reinforces the association between the name and the character. I do agree that using the Japanese names does make it harder to keep track of which character is a reference to what.

There is also, like I mentioned above, an issue of some of these series taking place in Japan where the characters are mostly / all Japanese.

I do understand why you prefer the Chinese names, but using them isn't objectively better in every way which makes it lose/lose. The only real fix would be having two subtitle tracks (which I am all for). That is assuming the licensor doesn't specify character names.
Touma

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
... beating even the early Crunchyroll subs for Koihime Musou.

Were those worse than the subs that Sentai used on the DVD?
Those were pretty bad, with a lot of grammar errors and quite a few things that were probably just typos but were rather distracting, such as switching between "three" and "tree" twice..
If the Crunchyroll subs were worse then I am glad that I never had to read them.
Or were they maybe the same subs?

Fortunately Sentai had much better subs on Shin Koihime Musou and ... Otome Tairan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
roxybudgy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
I remember helpfully (I though) reporting a mistake to one of the Kiddy Grade fansub groups on IRC (it seemed logical to me that if one secretary is called Mercredi then another one is probably not "Bindledee") so that it could be corrected in future episodes and getting yelled at for my trouble.

Reminds me of my newbie translator days when a friend asked me to translate a doujinshi about a series I had absolutely zero knowledge of. I was baffled at the what the character name "Tsuvai" was supposed to mean. It wasn't until years later when I started to study German (because I'm a fan of "Kommisar Rex") that I realised it was meant to be "Zwei".

Somewhat related, another mistake I often see translators make (both professional and fansubbers/scanlators, although more so the latter) is "style". The line is often incorrectly translated as "She has good style", but it should be "She has a good figure".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ali07

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:00 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Whoops, I missed that for some reason. Sorry about it.

Laughing No problem. Now you know we are in agreement.

And, I will add one more thing to the honorifics. There are instances where they don't show up in the subs, and it does kind of take me out of the show. Moreso because I notice they're not there, but it isn't a deal breaker for me. After finding out that they won't use them in the subs, then it's fine.

I just don't want to see many other "Nagato-san" to "Miss Nagato" subs. That was something I never got used to in The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan. Thankfully, YenPress' manga releases doesn't have that. And, while I hope that Funi changes that for their home release, I'll still buy the show...even if her teen friends refer to her as "Miss Nagato". Laughing
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:31 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Ignoring honourifics completely is a bad thing, since they do have meaning - even often in western settings if the writer is Japanese..

But having honorifics in dialogue in a western setting feels out of place. You can determine social rank based on other aspects of dialogue and how people treat each other.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:04 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Ignoring honourifics completely is a bad thing, since they do have meaning - even often in western settings if the writer is Japanese..

But having honorifics in dialogue in a western setting feels out of place. You can determine social rank based on other aspects of dialogue and how people treat each other.

Not once you get used to it, especially if it's just something written in subtitles/manga translations, and not actually spoken out in a dub.
Honorifics, once you learned what they means and all the subtle cultural stuff behind them, add a lot to the relationships between characters and how you perceive them.

That aside, I often read more than one translations, both official and not, of the shows/manga I really care about, and the official ones aren't necessarily the best ones around, especially when we consider adaptations too.
Other than that, the title of this article is quite biased; a more neutral one would have probably been better.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Suppose "Nakamura Miyuki" is spoken to directly by a boy in her class who calls her "Nakamura-san." In English that boy would never use Miss or Ms. Nakamura. He'd call her "Miyuki," but that fails to convey the social distance of "Nakamura-san." Plus we'd hear that construct in the sound track but see "MIyuki" in the subtitles. I'd prefer the subtitles to match the dialogue in these cases.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 15