• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Viz Media Comments on Digital Piracy After Manga Uploader Arrests

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dark13

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
dark13 wrote:
LOL Cheap My ass I spend an already high Internet Bill ( and that Not adding housing and the stuff I buy ) how About you stop trying to Justify these quot on Quot Legal ways of doing things and just confess that its Nothing but money gouging so we can be done with it I can already smell your BS ( even if your an Mod BS is BS no matter how you slice it ) how much dose Viz pay you guys at ANN to Justify their BS ?

Here we go again. How much does Viz pay us you ask? Let me guess, you're one of those "you're on Aniplex's payroll" people too right? I can't speak for the other mods or admin but I personally accept my under the table payments in the form of single malt scotch and whiskey. Money is fleeting after all.
This all I need to hear Thanks for confessing You have controlled Opinions and your right this the real world, its not as Goody Goody as you think it is if Money is tight and If I can access I will access it,that how the Internet has bean working since its creation why,do you think People can watch, Free videos on YouTube ? ( that counts anime as well) and if you don't like it kiss My ass. ( I Might get Banned But I don't care somebody needed to say this but you will most likely have your last say then Ban me like a child )

( Now I'm going to read manga for Free and buy volume 3 of Tokyo Ghoul and One Piece
Collection Fourteen have A nice day Mod )

And this for everyone else, looks like somebody else start Translating Nanatsu no taizai (so Viz BS was Like I thought it was BS )
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:18 pm Reply with quote

You conveniently only quoted the obviously sarcastic portion of my post in a sad attempt to prove this imaginary point of yours. You left out the part where I said come back to reality because your accusation was a load of garbage. I suggest moving forward you stop misquoting people in an attempt to prove your points instead of quoting them properly and dealing with what they actually said. It's disingenuous to cherry pick what parts of a post you are going to quote to portray an entirely different message than what the user posted. If you're going to quote someone to make a point then either quote them properly (without over quoting constantly) or don't quote them at all. That's not up for debate by the way.

As for your point about that's what the net is for and you're going to do it anyways all I am going to say is just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you SHOULD do something. Just because you can do something does not make it right or absolve you of any responsibility. Now I am going to stop here because it is quite obvious you refuse to accept any responsibility and will continue to justify away what you want to do. So I'm not going to waste any more of my time in this thread arguing with you.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:23 am Reply with quote
dark13 wrote:
I guess we can agree to a certain extent on this Issue, just like what you said about piracy,there are Companies out there ( like Viz ) that are money gouging people and trying to Justify those actions.

I realize by now that you're only here to stir antagonistic comments but I genuinely have to wonder how somebody could call Viz's Shounen Jump release "gouging". Like, of the series that run in their release right now, I follow 7 weekly series. Being conservative and factoring in possible breaks due to author illness or delay, I get about 40-45 chapters of those series per year for an annual subscription of $25.99 USD. That comes out to at least 280 chapters per year, not including bi-weekly or monthly series, their Jump Star previews, Jump Back chapters of series I haven't read, or one-shot extras included in some issues. That comes out roughly to 28 collected volumes worth of content. I essentially get the manga for less than a dollar per volume at the most expensive, and that's not even factoring the convenience of having it on my phone and that fact that it's released the same day as the japanese publication which is in and of itself hugely convenient.

But let's say you aren't as big a jump fan as me, and in their whole digital magazine you only follow 1 series that you care about staying up to date with. You'd still be getting 4-5 volumes worth of content. The average price of a digital manga volume is somewhere between 6 and 10 dollars, with Viz' online store charging 6.99 for most releases. The annual subscription still comes out to around the same price or less than 4 digital volumes (and certainly less than physical volumes). And again, that's with the chapters being released concurrently with the Japanese magazine.

So really, unless your definition of price gauging is just having to pay for something, your claim is preeeeetty ridiculous.
mar24364E8

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:05 am Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
dark13 wrote:
I guess we can agree to a certain extent on this Issue, just like what you said about piracy,there are Companies out there ( like Viz ) that are money gouging people and trying to Justify those actions.
So really, unless your definition of price gauging is just having to pay for something, your claim is preeeeetty ridiculous.
Actually its High then that for me here in Canada (because our low dollar and Viz seams to hate Canada so everything online is US currency, that definition of price gauging ) and don't even get me start on The blocked anime that We can't even watch, this the message I get all the time on their streaming site, NEON ALLEY is only accessible within the U.S. and on certain U.S. overseas military installations, as we only have streaming rights for our content in these regions. Yeah this clearly a legal way to watch anime Rolling Eyes I really Don't understand why some people want to Justify this shallow legal way of doing things,Then Again I don't download my anime I just Stream it for Free.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:36 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:

This is what I'm saying, too. The price range for a digital volume or an annual description is very reasonable. I guess that everyone has their different priorities. I know some people who have no problem dropping a hundred bucks for a figure or other merchandise but ask them to pay for a volume of manga and they have to think about it like they're buying a car or something.

dark13 wrote:
if Money is tight and If I can access I will access it,that how the Internet has bean working since its creation why,do you think People can watch, Free videos on YouTube ? ( that counts anime as well) and if you don't like it kiss My ass.

You should've said this earlier, it would've saved everyone a lot of time. Nobody is entitled to entertainment so if money is tight, can't you just wait? There's plenty of stuff I want to buy but I have to live with the fact that I'm not going to be able to afford everything right away.

Drunk Samurai wrote:
Ironic how you say that people are trying to change the definition of theft when you are actually the one doing that.

This is why I didn't respond to your earlier post. I have no idea why you keep going on and on about theft. You can argue the definition of theft all you want but the issue is about piracy, not theft.
Actar

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@Psycho 101 & Touma

The problem is that no one likes to think of themselves as a thief or as doing something wrong. As a result they will bend over backwards and contort the language into pretzel shapes in order to justify that what they are doing is good. Of course, if you are the only one who thinks that way there is always a nagging doubt. So they go online to try to find others who think the same way.

The problem with this tactic is they also find others who try to point out the emperor's lack of clothing. Then they get all pissy and defensive.

It is amazing how easy it is to be outraged at a company when you are stealing their merchandise.

Why do people always do this? It's one thing to have an opinion, it's another to condescend to anyone who has a differing opinion by taking the moral high ground. Just because the law is on your side doesn't mean that it's morally right unless you take a deontologist approach. There are different branches of moral philosophy for a reason and the world isn't so black and white.

By completely refusing to consider alternative interpretations and dismissing them by calling them "bending over backwards" or "mental gymnastics", no progress will be made on the issue of piracy and copyright protection.
mar24364E8

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
Alan45 wrote:
@Psycho 101 & Touma

The problem is that no one likes to think of themselves as a thief or as doing something wrong. As a result they will bend over backwards and contort the language into pretzel shapes in order to justify that what they are doing is good. Of course, if you are the only one who thinks that way there is always a nagging doubt. So they go online to try to find others who think the same way.

The problem with this tactic is they also find others who try to point out the emperor's lack of clothing. Then they get all pissy and defensive.

It is amazing how easy it is to be outraged at a company when you are stealing their merchandise.

By completely refusing to consider alternative interpretations and dismissing them by calling them "bending over backwards" or "mental gymnastics", no progress will be made on the issue of piracy and copyright protection.
I always Found that strange why some People Completely and utterly Refuse to listen to the other side ( even when they have no means or Access to watch anime legal ) it Kinda shows Ignorance on Their part ( like as longs as they can watch anime legal Screw the rest of the world ,maybe its how Americans think ?)
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:46 pm Reply with quote
A VPN would solve all your troubles canadian person
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:37 pm Reply with quote
mar24364E8 wrote:
Lili-Hime wrote:
A VPN would solve all your troubles canadian person
A what ? ( sounds like Hacking ) NVM its Actually pretty illegal http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/bell-media-president-says-using-vpns-to-skirt-copyright-rules-is-stealing-1.3099972 I don't think I want something like that sorry
f
No it's just a program that makes it look like you're in a different country I use Hola to watch my BBC shows that way^^
mar24364E8

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Lili-Hime wrote:

No it's just a program that makes it look like you're in a different country I use Hola to watch my BBC shows that way^^
Sorry that stealing, your telling me to stop watching free anime By Stealing form a another Country,No thanks Wink
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:02 pm Reply with quote
@mar24364E8

I thought I was fairly clear in one of my other posts that I was speaking of people who had legal access.

@Actar

Nothing said on this forum will ever make any progress on the issue of piracy and copyright protection. In order to do that you have to change the law which this forum does not have the ability to do. The only reason for someone to defend piracy here is to justify what the individual is already doing. Someone here in the US that pirates shows that are legally available is not discussing anything. They are short circuiting all discussion and simply taking.

Ignoring the law is not the same thing a attempting to change it.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Price gouging in manga????

Maybe VIZ is slightly more expensive than others, but I wouldn't raise that to the levels of price gouging.

As for Aniplex and Pony Canyon in the anime world, yeah, I would say price gouging but it is not enough of a term for what they are doing. Vampiric sucking of life is the proper description.

But I have seen nothing like that in the western manga market.
Drunk Samurai

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:21 pm Reply with quote
CoreSignal wrote:
lossthief wrote:

This is what I'm saying, too. The price range for a digital volume or an annual description is very reasonable. I guess that everyone has their different priorities. I know some people who have no problem dropping a hundred bucks for a figure or other merchandise but ask them to pay for a volume of manga and they have to think about it like they're buying a car or something.

dark13 wrote:
if Money is tight and If I can access I will access it,that how the Internet has bean working since its creation why,do you think People can watch, Free videos on YouTube ? ( that counts anime as well) and if you don't like it kiss My ass.

You should've said this earlier, it would've saved everyone a lot of time. Nobody is entitled to entertainment so if money is tight, can't you just wait? There's plenty of stuff I want to buy but I have to live with the fact that I'm not going to be able to afford everything right away.

Drunk Samurai wrote:
Ironic how you say that people are trying to change the definition of theft when you are actually the one doing that.

This is why I didn't respond to your earlier post. I have no idea why you keep going on and on about theft. You can argue the definition of theft all you want but the issue is about piracy, not theft.

"Instead several people want to try and change the definitions of what is theft"
Actar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:59 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Nothing said on this forum will ever make any progress on the issue of piracy and copyright protection. In order to do that you have to change the law which this forum does not have the ability to do. The only reason for someone to defend piracy here is to justify what the individual is already doing. Someone here in the US that pirates shows that are legally available is not discussing anything. They are short circuiting all discussion and simply taking.

That's the fallacy you're making isn't it? Just because they're for piracy doesn't always mean that they are trying to justify it for themselves. And even if they are... So what? It doesn't invalidate their points at all. That's nothing more than an ad homonym.

Not to mention, you're just coloring the opposing opinion as morally unjust in order to silence and mock them. How are they "short circuiting all discussion"? In fact, it seems that you're the ones looking for echo chambers because what kind of a discussion are you expecting if you don't want or can't handle opinions or arguments for piracy?
Ali07

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:20 am Reply with quote
mar24364E8 wrote:
The blocked anime that We can't even watch, this the message I get all the time on their streaming site, NEON ALLEY is only accessible within the U.S. and on certain U.S. overseas military installations, as we only have streaming rights for our content in these regions. Yeah this clearly a legal way to watch anime Rolling Eyes

Hmm, a dark13 multi? Post seems to be the same kind of thing as dark13.

Anyway. Are there really no distributors in Canada? Or is it that Canada ends up getting lumped in with the U.S.?

Actar wrote:
Just because they're for piracy doesn't always mean that they are trying to justify it for themselves.

True, people don't have to justify themselves if they pirate stuff.

But, in terms of the discussion that has been happening here recently, with dark13, it did seem like they were trying to justify their pirating by saying they buy some of the manga they pirate. Of course, as the discussion went on, that doesn't seem to be the case.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 14