• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - One Sleuth Prevails

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MajorZero

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:29 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Yeah to almost everyone whose played it and still think it's relevant.

Just because most of the console gamers can't play proper RTS doesn't mean that Red Alert is irrelevant, it's still one of the most popular series in the genre and more relevant than VC and other casual friendly TRPGs will ever be.
PetitePuff

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Calsolum wrote:
anyways fire emblem. why can't i find you in canada!

ugh! i know, right? i want that special edition!

Calsolum wrote:
I don't know if nintendo has already announced their stance on this but i wouldn't be the least bit surprised if NoA decides to remove the same sex marriage.

NoA actually made a statement, a couple of days before the Japanese release of the game, in regards to same sex marriage (and the dual version release format). so yes, it should still be there. here's the article: http://www.polygon.com/2015/6/23/8836513/fire-emblem-fates-same-sex-relationships-nintendo
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:00 am Reply with quote
a female friend of mione is very flat chested, so of course the change pissed her off because she can't amke her likeness in this game anymore, as expected her order got cancelled. or are we still aplying the rule of "if I don't like it , it's ok to censor it" ?
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:06 am Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
a female friend of mine is very flat chested, so of course the change pissed her off because she can't make her likeness in this game anymore, as expected her order got cancelled. or are we still applying the rule of "if I don't like it , it's ok to censor it" ?

As far as I'm concern your friend did the right thing thing by voting with your wallet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:31 am Reply with quote
MajorZero wrote:

Just because most of the console gamers can't play proper RTS doesn't mean that Red Alert is irrelevant, it's still one of the most popular series in the genre and more relevant than VC and other casual friendly TRPGs will ever be.

Given how the C&C series as a whole isn't really all that relevant nowadays and usually looked back on at as series that used to be good I don't believe that very much.

But that's besides the point.

Panoptican wrote:

I feel like there's absolutely no way Nintendo would make a change to the same sex marriage in Fire Emblem. This boob slider business is stupid, but most people don't care. Same sex marriage is a big social issue with a lot of support. The uproar would be immense. The controversy would dwarf any negative reaction Nintendo would get if they leave it unchanged.

Considering some of the blowback for what they did to Tomodachi Life in the states and their willingness to make arbitrary changes to their games for no reason. You'd excuse people for not giving you the benefit of the doubt on this.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:34 am Reply with quote
MajorZero wrote:

Given how the C&C series as a whole isn't really all that relevant nowadays and usually looked back on at as series that used to be good I don't believe that very much.

But that's besides the point.

Panoptican wrote:

I feel like there's absolutely no way Nintendo would make a change to the same sex marriage in Fire Emblem. This boob slider business is stupid, but most people don't care. Same sex marriage is a big social issue with a lot of support. The uproar would be immense. The controversy would dwarf any negative reaction Nintendo would get if they leave it unchanged.

Even in spite of the blowback for what they did with Tomodachi Life in the states and their willingness to make arbitrary changes to their games for no reason. You'd forgive people for their skepticism on this.
MajorZero

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:54 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

Again, EA screwing up C&C 4 (which wasn't supposed to be numbered installment in a first place) doesn't change the fact that both C&C 3 and Red Alert 3 were competent and quality RTS games, sure not as good as previous installments but that's not the point. By the same logic we can say that FF is not relevant anymore since FFXIII was a piece of hot garbage.
Panoptican

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:37 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

Even in spite of the blowback for what they did with Tomodachi Life in the states and their willingness to make arbitrary changes to their games for no reason. You'd forgive people for their skepticism on this.

But Tomodachi Life never had same sex marriage in Japan either? In fact when I looked further into the matter I found this statement from Nintendo:

"We apologize for disappointing many people by failing to include same-sex relationships in Tomodachi Life. Unfortunately, it is not possible for us to change this game's design, and such a significant development change can't be accomplished with a post-ship patch. At Nintendo, dedication has always meant going beyond the games to promote a sense of community, and to share a spirit of fun and joy. We are committed to advancing our longtime company values of fun and entertainment for everyone. We pledge that if we create a next installment in the Tomodachi series, we will strive to design a game-play experience from the ground up that is more inclusive, and better represents all players."
Vanadise

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:48 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

What you're referring to there was a game-breaking glitch that made it possible to get two Miis of the same sex who were married, but also made it impossible to save your game. They fixed it.

In fact, as a result of the blowback from that and Fire Emblem: Awakening, they've added same-sex relationships into FE: Fates.

I'm 100% against censorship, but don't intentionally misconstrue events in order to try to make an argument.

Nintendo has a bad habit of censoring dialog and images, but so far they haven't actually been modifying gameplay -- outside of fixing glitches -- so I highly doubt FE:F will have its same-sex marriage removed. (but dialog and art altered, almost certainly)
thenix

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Somehow I think if the boob slider was never taken out it wouldn't have been a big deal either way. People wouldn't be complaining that it's in there and needs to be taken out, and people wouldn't be complaining that it's censorship and needs to be put in. But because they drew attention to it by taking it out it's blown up both ways where they are now in a lose-lose situation. Keeping it out upsets people who want it in or don't want changes from the original game, putting it back in upsets the people that think no one should ever control a virtual persons boob size. If they left it alone at least they'd have the excuse of they aren't making judgement they are just leaving it the way it was created, but now if they put it back in people know they had the ability to take it out and made the decision to leave it.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Vanadise wrote:

What you're referring to there was a game-breaking glitch that made it possible to get two Miis of the same sex who were married, but also made it impossible to save your game. They fixed it.

And people hated them fixing it glitch or not

Vanadise wrote:

In fact, as a result of the blowback from that and Fire Emblem: Awakening, they've added same-sex relationships into FE: Fates.

Even then the number of same sex relationships you can setup in fates is considerably limited compared to the number of heterosexual relationships you can make. So while you may think it's a step in the right direction for some it could be considered not going far enough.

Vanadise wrote:

I'm 100% against censorship, but don't intentionally misconstrue events in order to try to make an argument.

Ummmm that wasn't my intention but if want to make baseless presumptions for no reason go right ahead.

Vanadise wrote:

Nintendo has a bad habit of censoring dialog and images, but so far they haven't actually been modifying gameplay -- outside of fixing glitches -- so I highly doubt FE:F will have its same-sex marriage removed.

And this is based off what exactly? The perception of gay marriage in this country? People being outraged at what they did the last time and your personal belief that Nintendo wouldn't remove this just cause?

Point is Nintendo could just as easily change this the same way they changed certain characters related to one another being able to marry one another in the localized versions of Awakening. Or simply remove it altogether. Nothing is guaranteed especially with Nintendo.

thenix wrote:
Keeping it out upsets people who want it in or don't want changes from the original game, putting it back in upsets the people that think no one should ever control a virtual persons boob size.

The number of people in this camp is considerably low though.
Terry Yanto

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:58 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Vanadise wrote:

And people hated them fixing it glitch or not

Vanadise wrote:

Even then the number of same sex relationships you can setup in fates is considerably limited compared to the number of heterosexual relationships you can make. So while you may think it's a step in the right direction for some it could be considered not going far enough.

Vanadise wrote:

Ummmm that wasn't my intention but if want to make baseless presumptions for no reason go right ahead.

Vanadise wrote:

Nintendo has a bad habit of censoring dialog and images, but so far they haven't actually been modifying gameplay -- outside of fixing glitches -- so I highly doubt FE:F will have its same-sex marriage removed.

And this is based off what exactly? The perception of gay marriage in this country? People being outraged at what they did the last time and your personal belief that Nintendo wouldn't remove this just cause?

Point is Nintendo could just as easily change this the same way they changed certain characters related to one another being able to marry one another in the localized versions of Awakening. Or simply remove it altogether. Nothing is guaranteed especially with Nintendo.

thenix wrote:
Keeping it out upsets people who want it in or don't want changes from the original game, putting it back in upsets the people that think no one should ever control a virtual persons boob size.

The number of people in this camp is considerably low though.

It's still justified though. They were fixing a game-breaking bug, not to mention the fact they never had that as a game design to begin with. It doesn't mean that they had an agenda against same-sex marriage, apparently obvious with FE. What were they supposed to do, keep a game-breaking bug just to keep others from being offended?

It is a step in the right direction and that should be something that is praised. Seriously though, why are people always complaining about the fact that certain elements aren't "100% equal". Should every game include all religious, ethnic, cultural, sexual, etc. elements within it to a degree that nobody would be offended instead of focusing on any other game element? They are making progressive work towards it and shouldn't be held in high scrutiny just because they were't "progressive" enough. They have other elements of the game they need to consider, not to mention the fact that it's their first time implementing this feature (not to mention the second time doing it in general).

The difference between this and "last time" is that they have no reason to do so and have basically said that they will have it. It would make no sense for them to remove it otherwise (unless there is some major bug that occurs from it). I mean, just imagine the backlash otherwise.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Terry Yanto wrote:

The difference between this and "last time" is that they have no reason to do so and have basically said that they will have it. It would make no sense for them to remove it otherwise (unless there is some major bug that occurs from it). I mean, just imagine the backlash otherwise.

It's nintendo though annoying or upsetting people with design or creative choices is more or less what they do.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2