• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Macross Delta (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:40 pm Reply with quote
The characters are far more important than the story so focusing on stuff like Keith's growing doubts about Roid is a better use of time. All these details factor into the story at large too.

And it's not like the plot has anywhere it needs to be anytime soon anyways. There are only 4 major questions that need answering (who is Mikumo, what are the ruins, what is Roid's real plan, why did Hayate's father do what he did) and it wouldn't take much time to answer each. As for the progression of the war, neither side can really do much of anything other than prepare for a final showdown.

Frontier had more action scenes than Delta, sure, but honestly only 3 or so were memorable. Delta is stronger on the character front which, again, is more important. If we don't care about the people involved, we don't care about any action or plot that's going on.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:36 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Delta is stronger on the character front

That might be something more of a viewer perception, in regards to series alone from what I recall both Frontier and Delta have had about the same level character development, though so far as a character I have honestly found Hayate less intriguing, though certainly Freyja balances this out and was usually more proactive than Ranka Lee, While Mikumo is certainly the more "mysterious" of the Gravure style leads Sheryl just was more personable.

I could go on through what most of the cast have relative parallels, but for me both series cast members have had strengths and weaknesses and at this point (from what I recalled anyway) they are "about the same level" in regards to time spent to develop.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:14 am Reply with quote
Well it feels like Delta has dedicated more time to the characters, anyways. From what I remember Frontier fell into a character episode -> battle episode -> character episode pattern while Delta isn't afraid to have several character episodes in a row.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:08 am Reply with quote
A significant difference is that Delta deals with an autonomous nation of humanoids instead of "we can freely slaughter the bug looking aliens" of Frontier.

So time is spent on the Windermere side to flesh out the war, the net result is that episode time is spent divided among the relatively large cast with only the most contextually important characters get the spotlight.

In that regard of multisided conflict narrative, it is a return to the original Macross in comparison to Frontier.

An element that has a significant focus as a whole is the Walkure, when giant mech battles become sparse then that means the idol aspect inherently will be more noticeable.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:37 am Reply with quote
Episode 20

Felt kinda slow for the episode but I still liked it. The highlight imo is Mirage trying to take into some sense into Hayate and Frejya. They really need some morale after everything has happened and not to mention, she sort of "confessed".

I'm guessing we'll finally learn the truth and background story about Mikumo next time. Hopefully Kaname make it to her since Makina and Reina got captured.

Roid is also one of the most mysterious characters in the show. Even Keith can't tell what he's thinking most of the time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Keith's growing doubts about Roid

It's like their roles have become reversed. In the first half Roid was the who had doubts, he seemed like the reasonable guy among the Windermerean's. Now he seems to be doing something shady and it's Keith who has doubts.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:

It's like their roles have become reversed. In the first half Roid was the who had doubts, he seemed like the reasonable guy among the Windermerean's. Now he seems to be doing something shady and it's Keith who has doubts.

In BOTH cases, the audience is missing context to why the audience should feel suspicious for either beyond "one character feels questioning to the others motives", the show implies in the first half that Keith is some sort of ambitious warmonger, however at this point the audience has come to learn he is a divided man who uses "loyalty", be it to his Father the king or his people, as a justification for his actions.
Roid is put in a dark light as his actions involving the Protoculture ruins without exaggeration put the known galaxy in peril, yet this seems to be the tip of the iceberg and we certainly don't know his long term goal.

It works out as it paints our main antagonists as morally ambiguous and at the very least they are aware that there current actions are more than simply reacting to a tragic modern event.

As a side note, the cutest couple in Macross Delta has always been Reina and Maki.
Raftina

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Taking bets on Kaname dying in the next episode.

I can see why some users are glad that Mirage came and broke up the rather childish argument between Hayate and Freyja, but I wonder if she came at a rather inopportune time. Perhaps it is simply the translation, but it seems like Freyja was just about to say "I sing for you"--a confession that seems long overdue since she sang "Boku no Senjou" for him way back in episode 3. I wanted to see how they react to that.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:14 am Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
In BOTH cases, the audience is missing context to why the audience should feel suspicious for either beyond "one character feels questioning to the others motives",

The show has done plenty to put Roid's plans into doubt outside of just Keith's suspicions. Initially Roid seemed to be genuine concerned about Heinz's health but now he's shown no problems with using him for experiments. Was Roid's earlier concerns only because he didn't want Heinz to die before Roid could make use of him? Roid was at Gramia's side when he died and later claimed the king's wish was to take over the universe, but was that really the case? Did Roid lie to just further his own agenda? We know he believes Windmerians to be the rightful heirs of the Protoculture so he probably believes it's only natural for them to rule the universe, regardless of the sacrifices.

In regards to Keith, while he tries to act like a serious knight recently he's been letting slip that he does love Heinz as his brother and is worried about him.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:40 pm Reply with quote
And the answers start coming in. spoiler[Walkure's formation, Mikumo's true nature, Roid's intentions, and the ruins being the Protoculture's attempt to copy the Vajra hive mind.]
VicViper_Mk2

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Episode 21

I guess its a no-brainer that there wasn't going to be any action this episode with 4 out of 5 Walkure members out of action. Flashback does reveal quite a few things, such as why Makina and Reina doesn't get along, and how they actually had two girl extras filling in until the stress got them cracked. A brand new costume and song, and a modified version of giraffe blue brought Makina and Reina together.

On Windmerian's side. Surprise, by singing his twisted mind control song too much, Heinz is wearing out his body faster than you can shake a stick at (ain't karma a bitch) The rift between Keith and Roid is growing larger, which led me to think that there just maybe a possibility where Keith ends up joining the good guys near the end, much like Brea did in Frontier.

Since I haven't saw the sub yet, can't say I learned anything new about Mikumo (aside from the fact that she's definitely not Lady M when she calls her name) She did say something about regardless if she is human or clone, she will sing. 5 episodes left, don't leave us hanging, just push us off already.

That weapon dealer guy is just too shady, he's bound to pull some crap later on to make things worst.

The last image Roid saw, not exactly sure what it is, maybe the protoculture's physical form?
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Reina looks cute from that flashback. No wonder she and Makina doesn't get along with their opposite personalities. I wish we get to see more into Mikumo's past before joining the Walkure although I think it's established that she isn't a normal human anyway. She also has a connection with the Wind Singer (Heinz). I'm guessing she may be the "Star Singer" shown at the end?

Man, seeing Messer from the flashback gave me the feels this episode.

I also wonder what Mikumo and Hayate are talking about in the preview.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
VicViper_Mk2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:38 pm Reply with quote
With only 5 episodes left, what are some predictions you can think of? (no matter how unlikely)

Lady M finally reveals herself. Being mysterious has its charm, but going on for too long and it could drive people crazy. There are over a dozen characters in the Macross universe who's names starts with M, and are female.

The good guys are facing a "final boss" of unbelievable magnitude and are at their wits end, and just when all hope seems lost, they get reinforcements from M7, Frontier, an re-built Sharon, and even Minmay herself (though this last one is a big stretch, since it would invalidate Kawamori's previous statement that he doesn't want to expand on what happened to Minmay. Plus you can't have Minmay without Hikaru, and since his VA committed suicide, it'll be next to impossible to find a replacement in such short notice)

Realistically speaking, since Vajra is responsible for the VAR syndrome, Frontier still could show up, maybe even with M7 in tow (if it turns out Lady M is someone in the Jenius family starting with M)

Should M7 and Frontier show up, each group might do their own signature song or they might crossover and sing another group's song. If Minmay were present everyone might all sing "Ai Oboete Imasu ka"
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:07 pm Reply with quote
In the finale or semi finale, we are going to receive the extended remix of the opening performed in context as an attempt to undo whatever mess is going on.

There will NOT be any surprise crossover material in the closing episodes unless they are specifically mentioned within the next couple episodes, Delta has already had a fair share of nods on the previous works throughout the season.

Half an episode is going to be spent in flashback with Hayate's father, especially since the show has almost effectively clued in that Freyja's only source for getting into contact with Earth base music would be from a crash land pilot.

That said, I am oddly more eager for the eventual movie version of the events.
VicViper_Mk2

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Episode 22
Things are finally picking up. Lots of interesting moments.

A Canaria-wannabe NUNS pilot a König Monster and takes down a enemy ship without dying, not bad.

Mikumo's b***h slapping Freyja. After all the pep talk and what's at stake here, Freyja is still worried about making Hayate go berserk and underperforms. Justified since he does go berserk and came very close to killing Mirage before stopping (you big tease) On another note, forget about choosing Mirage or Freyja, I think he just stepped on the Harem route.

Casim unleashes his inner Keith and shows the rest of his team that Keith is not the only one with the moves. But his showing off ultimately gets him grounded for good. Can't really say didn't see coming. Dead son, nothing to lose, catches his enemies and instead of finishing them off, sits down and have a chat. His heart is not in the fight anymore.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 20