• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Macross Delta (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beltane70

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Come to think of it, has the VF-4 ever appeared in any other Macross animation besides Flashback 2012? I can think of the VF-4's appearance in Macross video games, but not in any of the other series, OVA's, or movies.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:13 pm Reply with quote
I'm still not getting much out of the music from this yet, either from performed songs or the background. Hope they get to another planet or into space because I'm already tired of the seacats.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:24 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
because I'm already tired of the seacats.

Yeah, umineko are overly annoyingly common when one visits the beach because they always try to your food.

...and THAT'S THE JOKE! *rimshot*
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4

Well this was an interesting episode. About time Aerial Knights made their move and again, they interrupt Walkure with an all out attack. What's different this time is that they also declares war. In the meantime, I'm glad to see Freyja make her idol debut. It wasn't perfect but I think she'll get the hang of it. I like her outfit as well.

Also curious about Mikumo. There's so much mystery about her that it really bothers me at this point until they reveal more. Good stuff overall, I smell some rivalry between Delta and Aerial Knights.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Heh, no love for Sharon, eh Freyja? Also interesting to learn that Freyja is actually a middle aged lady. No wonder she was being pressured into marriage so young.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Ep 4
Calling it now, Mikumo is a cyborg, how much so will be remained to be seen as well as how this effects the plot.

As for the reason WHY she is a cyborg is because so far at best cyborgs (and robots) have been ambiguously good if they sided with the heroes (depending on the incarnation interpretation)and almost always end up being antagonistic due to "the overmind", if Delta is going to try to switch it around Mikumo will be a cyborg that will end up always being on our protagonists side even if there actions end up being morally grey for some reason.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:48 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Heh, no love for Sharon, eh Freyja? Also interesting to learn that Freyja is actually a middle aged lady. No wonder she was being pressured into marriage so young.

I doubt anyone likes Sharon Apple or hew 90s new wave "I believe in crystals and fairies and I like Enigma" music, especially after the shit she pulled.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:48 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

I doubt anyone likes Sharon Apple or hew 90s new wave "I believe in crystals and fairies and I like Enigma" music, especially after the shit she pulled.

Sharon Apple is actually cited as a "famous artist" in the first Macross Frontier film, the only reason why the computer artist would NOT be cited is because obviously Sharon Apple is not a flesh and blood idol.

This is why I come back to Mikumo being a cyborg if not an outright next gen Android, also notice during ep 4 that unlike the rest of Walkure, she is in a stance as if she is WAITING for something to get past the Valkyrie fighters.

If the message of the series is once again about getting past prejudices, Macross has had an unwitting "fear the machine" message accumulating through its incarnations.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:49 am Reply with quote
This is going to sound weird coming from me, but I don't get much of a romantic vibe from Freyja and Hayate. There is some nice chemistry between them but they come off more like siblings rather than potential lovers.

Nice to see the crowds finding Freyja endearing despite her mistakes. I just hope no one starts being mean to her now because of her race.

So far as sub-pairings go Kaname/Arad seems obvious, but I think she might get a thing with Messer. Their interactions give off a "you act cold but I can see right through you" vibe that's a common basis for a ship.

Before I would have pegged Kaname as the first Wulkure to die since she's the obligatory big sister character but I was surprised that she also doubles as a bridge bunny. And bridge bunnies are immortal (except in Robotech).
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Those live concerts must be pretty exhilarating with all those special effects and holograms or whatever all that stuff is. A giant mecha dancing in front of you is pretty cool too, and probably a bit scary. And Mikumo is a nudist?
Raftina

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:48 pm Reply with quote
I would assume that the most exhilarating part of the Walkure performance is the live explosions and combat that is happening around the sky and in the surrounding cities rather than the lightworks and air show that are part of the program.

One would hope that the Walkure performs more immunization concerts than treatment concerts. Or maybe the residents of the Macross wold have come to associate music with violence and combat because of how often it has been used in combat, so the concert-goes go there with the expectation of danger?

I was surprised by how fast Delta seems to have gone with giving Mirage a softened image. Already, we see her contrast with Messer and Arad in terms of how willing they are to kill the NUNS pilots--having an approach more like Hayate's semi-pacifism than going about her business.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:00 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't say Mirage had much of a hardened image in the first place. Her introduction was her searching around frantically after Mikumo ditched her, after all. She had no problem apologising when she knew she was in the wrong, and while she's pretty prickly towards Hayate it's completely justified.

I won't be surprised if we learn that her super serious attitude towards piloting is only because she feels obligated to be that way to uphold the family legacy.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Mirage definitely has some big shoes to fill considering that her grandparents were two of the best pilots that the UN Spacy had!
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Ep. 4! Anyone notice that when they were panning across a beach (just before the ship took off and left the planet) the beach's name was "Ranka Beach"? That got a little smirk out of me.

It was also kinda cool to learn how Freya learned about all the music of the prior Macross stars, from that MP3 player that as given to her. (I wouldn't mind learning who gave it to her and if she had a story.)

The way the episode ended up is interesting though. I'll be curious to see what transpires with Freya in relation to everyone else in the next ep.

I'm really enjoying the series so far and hope it keeps things moving.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5:

Hmm, so apparently the Delta squadron knows what they are facing up against or at least their captain had a history with them before.

Interesting part about Mikumo mentioning that the song she heard came from the unknown boy. So in a way, those who are from Walkure can hear the songs. Still, Hayate also felt the voice as well. Also interesting to hear more about Windermerean legend this episode.

The buildup is interesting to say the least especially with the revelation of the timeline from Delta. Also apparently Aerial Knights have been preparing 7+ years to make their move. Freyja Wion is suspected as a traitor by Bogue from the Windermere Kingdom while Mikumo even voices out that Freyja is suspected as a spy by the Chaos HQ. Yeah, I'd hate to be in Freyja's shoes about now.

Also, it looks like Messer is really trying to stir things up between him and Hayate. Speaking of which, Hayate's declare that he will end the conflict/war by his own way makes this interesting considering the innumerable odds he must overcome.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 20