• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Clannad Briefly Outsold Call of Duty: Black Ops III, Grand Theft Auto V on Steam

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
partially

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
I guess this ranking is compiled daily?

It is much more frequent than daily. I think it is by the hour. Clannad has risen above GTA again since my last post for instance. As for GTA, that was released in April, so no, hasn't been near a year yet.

Steam also has a weekly top-sellers list:

http://store.steampowered.com/feeds/weeklytopsellers.xml

Updated every Sunday. So it will be interesting to see if Clannad appears on that.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:17 pm Reply with quote
That's an impressive accomplishment.

Tenchi wrote:
As for Grand Theft Auto V, I'm surprised and impressed that it still ranks in the top 5 as didn't the PC version come out at least a year ago? (I know the original console versions came out in September 2013, with the next gen console versions a year later.)

It was released on PCs some half a year ago, in April.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:57 pm Reply with quote
I still feel like the price is a bit unreasonable. I mean it came out in 2004
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Okay, it's been only a little over half a year instead of more than a year since the release of the PC version of Grand Theft Auto V.

"It's still been out quite a while" is my general point and that still stands.

I'd say "most people that are going to play it already have it" but then I remember that I'm personally still waiting for the XBox 360 version to hit the bargain rack at Walmart since I generally don't buy games until they're only $20 or less.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alabaster Spectrum

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Odd article, but what can you say Japan adores it's crying games and they have their super fans internationally too.

chrisc1978 wrote:
Obviously, Clannad would outsell stupid games.

Briefly and stupid is debatable. A lot of Steam users would probably think of Clannad as a stupid game for example and glance right over it. Not everybody likes visual novels even.

partially wrote:
Pokenatic wrote:
It figures that this was just taken from SiliconEra. They said that it topped out at #3 even though it was #2 at some point.

Anyways, that's a massive success for Sekai Project, so congrats to them, even though it shouldn't be too surprising given that it's Clannad.

Well it is somewhat surprising given the asking price. And yeah it is fluctuating quite a bit, I saw it at 4 again earlier, now it is at 6. I am somewhat surprised there is not a single negative review yet. But then given someone would have to pay $50 just to give it a negative, perhaps not.

Well likely the only people that would really be interested in it are the ultra devoted fans and from what I've experienced of fans of Clannad they're not going to give it anything other than the most glowing of "greatest game ever" type reviews. There's a subset of Clannad fans that truly believe in the whole "Clannad is Life" mantra and that it's the absolute pinnacle of storytelling for all time for example.

Really if you ask me that fanbase is way too intense for my blood but then a lot of the most popular visual novel ones are and they don't seem to have very much respect for opinions that conflict with their own about those games or people that won't bend the knee for them and have other things they might like as much or better. It's cool that they got their release but man I hope the rest of steam is ready to be branded "secondaries" and the steam mods are ready to take action if the wrong people with the "wrong opinions" happen to stumble onto the game and give it anything less than top marks cause people will probably lose their shit.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/324160/#app_reviews_hash

Just looking at these pretty much confirms it's all super fans giving the reviews and some of them are pretty telling like the one that's just ranting about what will happen if anyone dares give a bad review and the one that just says it's Clannad and gives it a 10/10. Really nothing particularly helpful to anyone that might just be casually browsing and maybe looking to get into the game, but from everything I can tell about how visual novel fans view the world such people are the enemy.

Last edited by Alabaster Spectrum on Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:06 pm; edited 6 times in total
XerneasYveltal

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:50 pm Reply with quote
That escalated real quick.

However, this ultimately brings me to the question whether if I should try out the visual novel first before the anime.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Cetais wrote:
partially wrote:
I am somewhat surprised there is not a single negative review yet. But then given someone would have to pay $50 just to give it a negative, perhaps not.

There's the Steam refund system, you can buy it, leave a negative review, and then refund it.
Considering Clannad's length, you wouldn't get much out of it from less than 2 hours of play.
Sanyo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:36 pm Reply with quote
I just wish it wasn't $40.
grooven

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:41 pm Reply with quote
XerneasYveltal wrote:

However, this ultimately brings me to the question whether if I should try out the visual novel first before the anime.

UltScorpion wrote:
Im debating on whether or not I should watch the anime or play the game first.

Play the game first. A major key (no pun intended) system to the overall plot isn't done right in the anime, it can really sour the ending.

I see it like reading the book and then seeing the movie. You look forward to seeing it all (and certain parts) in motion. The anime is done well enough, but you get that first time enjoyment more so from reading.
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:16 pm Reply with quote
UltScorpion wrote:

The anime follow the original game nicely though it left one character route but it is not a big deal if you miss it because the character was minor.
MajorZero

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:18 am Reply with quote
That's all nice and dandy but according to steamspy Clannad only sold 3k copies at max. It'll adjust of course, but don't expect it to be timeless hit.
SaitoHajime101

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:36 am Reply with quote
grooven wrote:
XerneasYveltal wrote:

UltScorpion wrote:

Play the game first. A major key (no pun intended) system to the overall plot isn't done right in the anime, it can really sour the ending.

I agree. The anime follows the true ending route, but the only way to get it is by following this "system" that, as stated above, isn't covered very well in the anime. There's mentions of it but unless if you're paying attention, you won't understand the meaning of it until its way too late.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:23 am Reply with quote
Although it was only temporary, congratulations to Clannad for making it that far up on the chart. Smile I didn't expect the title to crack even the Top 20.
chrisc1978

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:46 am Reply with quote
Alabaster Spectrum wrote:
Odd article, but what can you say Japan adores it's crying games and they have their super fans internationally too.

chrisc1978 wrote:

Briefly and stupid is debatable. A lot of Steam users would probably think of Clannad as a stupid game for example and glance right over it. Not everybody likes visual novels even.

partially wrote:
Pokenatic wrote:
It figures that this was just taken from SiliconEra. They said that it topped out at #3 even though it was #2 at some point.

Anyways, that's a massive success for Sekai Project, so congrats to them, even though it shouldn't be too surprising given that it's Clannad.

Well it is somewhat surprising given the asking price. And yeah it is fluctuating quite a bit, I saw it at 4 again earlier, now it is at 6. I am somewhat surprised there is not a single negative review yet. But then given someone would have to pay $50 just to give it a negative, perhaps not.

Well likely the only people that would really be interested in it are the ultra devoted fans and from what I've experienced of fans of Clannad they're not going to give it anything other than the most glowing of "greatest game ever" type reviews. There's a subset of Clannad fans that truly believe in the whole "Clannad is Life" mantra and that it's the absolute pinnacle of storytelling for all time for example.

Really if you ask me that fanbase is way too intense for my blood but then a lot of the most popular visual novel ones are and they don't seem to have very much respect for opinions that conflict with their own about those games or people that won't bend the knee for them and have other things they might like as much or better. It's cool that they got their release but man I hope the rest of steam is ready to be branded "secondaries" and the steam mods are ready to take action if the wrong people with the "wrong opinions" happen to stumble onto the game and give it anything less than top marks cause people will probably lose their shit.

Just looking at these pretty much confirms it's all super fans giving the reviews and some of them are pretty telling like the one that's just ranting about what will happen if anyone dares give a bad review and the one that just says it's Clannad and gives it a 10/10. Really nothing particularly helpful to anyone that might just be casually browsing and maybe looking to get into the game, but from everything I can tell about how visual novel fans view the world such people are the enemy.

I know, What are they thinking releasing Clannad without an English Dub.
TheMorry

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:25 am Reply with quote
chrisc1978 wrote:
Alabaster Spectrum wrote:

chrisc1978 wrote:

partially wrote:
Pokenatic wrote:

I know, What are they thinking releasing Clannad without an English Dub.

I would've liked if they made a English dub for the Visual Novel as well. But I'm sorry, dubs are costly. Anime has a bigger fan base then visual novels do, so its a less of a risk .

If you take this artical in consideration: http://www.animenation.net/blog/2012/02/24/ask-john-why-does-dubbing-cost-so-much/

"At least since 2008, $10,000 per episode has been the ballpark range for the cost of producing a professional caliber English dub for a single 25 minute anime episode."

So roughly the Clannad anime dub has cost 490.000 USD. They say that the visual novel has more content in it. Some parts of the anime could be used in the visual novel dub, but mostly it would be better recording it all over together. Making a dub with the actors that Sentai used, I would have loved that. But like i said this is just wishful thinking. Visual Novels are a way less populiar then anime to get any profit out of it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3