• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Catching up with UC Gundam.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedSwirl

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:37 pm Reply with quote
I checked to see if there were already other recent threads where people discussed how best to get into UC Gumdam, but the "Gundam For Dummies" thread linked in the index thread hasn't been bumped in over a decade. If there's another relevant thread I guess this post can get moved.

Anyway, Gundam Thunderbolt looks pretty dope and I've been meaning to get reacquainted with UC Gundam for years now, specifically the OG series.

I watched part of the original series on Toonami years ago but missed most of it (didn't have TiVo back then). I saw all of 08th MS Team, 0080, and 0083, but I've never really seen the core story they all surround so my understanding of UC Gundam is missing a lot of important details. I know about the plot twits of spoiler[Sayla being Char's sister] but I know almost nothing else about the core characters.

Should I just get the new Blu-Rays? Some people tell me the original series is too long-winded and I should just watch the movie trilogy. I know ANN used to stream the OG series but I don't know of anyone else who does. According to a news story I just read from last year Hulu will apparently take down OG Gundam next week. Are Zeta or the other UC productions important at all?

Edit: I also tried to get into Unicorn but felt lost when characters started mentioning background lore.

Last edited by RedSwirl on Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:52 pm Reply with quote
First Gundam through Char's Counterattack is all necessary viewing for the Zeon era of the Universal Century. F91, Victory and Reconguista in G can all be viewed as stand alone.

So far as First Gundam goes, the original TV series is worth a watch, but if you're pressed for time go for the movies. The movies are technically the "true" version of events and later sequels reflect that. Plus it has newer animation so there's that too. Either way First Gundam is a classic that shouldn't be missed.

That said if you want to get into the One Year War spin offs (like Thunderbolt) you just need a basic idea of who Zeon are, who the Federation are, and what a Gundam is.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Unicorn is definitely not a series to watch if you haven't seen any of the other UC stories that come before it.

Although only two of the four episodes have been released, the OVA series Gundam the Origin is a solid addition to the original series. It covers Char's backstory from before the TV series. Based off the manga series of the same name GtO, is pretty well done with the added bonus that the manga and OVA series are done by the original Gundam's character designer, Yasuhiko Yoshikazu .
RedSwirl

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Good God those new Blu-Ray sets are expensive. I know they're on sale, but to me the recent sale price looks like what the list price SHOULD have been. Might be a while before I can get them.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:30 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:07 pm Reply with quote
RedSwirl wrote:
Good God those new Blu-Ray sets are expensive. I know they're on sale, but to me the recent sale price looks like what the list price SHOULD have been. Might be a while before I can get them.

A 12/13 episode release from Funimation or Sentai can be around $50-$70. The Gundam sets are around the same price but they each have 20 episodes on them, so really it's a good deal.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1