• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
A Quick, Easy Guide to the Gintama Drama

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:17 am Reply with quote
As an anime-only audience of Gintama series, I have to ask:

So starting in the December's Shougun Assassination Arc, there will only be serious action drama awaiting us, right? No comedic mini-arcs afterwards? Do we still have funny gags and references inserted in the serious arcs?

I feel this is the best way I can ask the question without being heavily spoiled.
bobob101

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:24 am Reply with quote
In preparation for this arc I have been re-watching the Shogun Assassin movies. Its gotta be the same story as whats coming up right? RIGHT?!??

The funny thing about Gintama is that I often go back to re-watch the comedy episodes, but I don't do the same with the more serious arcs (like the Kabuki Cho 4 Greats arc). I will always praise the series for somehow making it actually believable that characters who are primarily gag delivery machines can be involved in super serious business. Like the arc that started as a bunch of weird Hip Hop jokes then turned into an all out war between police organizations. I think this is different than One Piece where sure the characters are always goofy, but know when to through down. I think this is because with One Piece something is almost always at stake, but Gintama is only serious when it absolutely has to be, and even then can perfectly make a tense situation hilarious (see the Renhou arc). That and of course can there even really be filler in a show that is 80% comedy anyway?
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:31 am Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:

So starting in the December's Shougun Assassination Arc, there will only be serious action drama awaiting us, right? No comedic mini-arcs afterwards? Do we still have funny gags and references inserted in the serious arcs?

I feel this is the best way I can ask the question without being heavily spoiled.

Yep, the manga is pure plot-advancement from here on out. There are still jokes scattered about, but the series is largely dominated by action and drama. There are at least six comedic arcs that have yet to be animated, so it'll be interesting to see how (or if) the anime staff attempts to wedge them in.
amcnulty

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:37 pm Reply with quote
As someone who prefers the Gintama comedy-centric episodes, it's hard for me to keep track of all of this! I appreciate the guide. It's gotten me even more pumped for the upcoming story.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JaggedAuthor wrote:
Engineering Nerd wrote:

Yep, the manga is pure plot-advancement from here on out. There are still jokes scattered about, but the series is largely dominated by action and drama. There are at least six comedic arcs that have yet to be animated, so it'll be interesting to see how (or if) the anime staff attempts to wedge them in.

At first I wondered why they decided to start this a month before the new season, but then I figured they thought they had to do something special for episode 300. (Why? Because it's an even number?)

{Merged serial posts. ~nobahn}
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:45 pm Reply with quote
That's my best guess, too. Still, I'd prefer they at least finish the current cour on a comedic note.
Ziko577

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Gintama was always a series that kinda failed at times to address the plot and instead focused too much on comedy and nonsense. After reading this article, I realize that perhaps if the manga ends soon, it will be a rushed and hasty ending as things are left unexplained, vague, and give little clues as where the plot's going at times. The plot is very dark for a series like this and that's what I like about it the most. I don't read the manga or watch the anime but I've heard a lot of good things about it nonetheless.
Midaro

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:45 pm Reply with quote
I love Gintama. It makes my day everytime I watch an episode or read the manga. It's hilarious. The anime is totally underrated. It should be up there together with One Piece. It's fantastic and the seiyuus are some of the best.

Thank you for the summary. I must admit that, because of the long break before this season, I had forgotten many details of the plot. I started reading the manga not long ago. I must have read 14 volumes so far, so there were plenty of things I did not get to read that I've remembered because of this synopsis.

It's so sad this manga is not published in English or Spanish anymore. I can only find it in French and in German. But I never studied French so, even though I bought two volumes and I can tell the meaning of some words, I find it a bit hard to follow. I wished it was licenced again in Spain, UK or USA. If a French publisher can translate it, I don't see why Viz or any other American, British or Spanish publisher can't. I'm aware it did not sell well in Spain. I really wish the anime got the acclaim it deserves so that, at least, the manga was lisenced again.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:00 pm Reply with quote
I enjoy Gintama's comedy, but I love it most when it gets serious. If they ever released a compilation of the serious, plot-relevant arcs, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Since that's never going to happen, is there a list somewhere of the "essential" episodes that cover the ongoing plot?
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:19 pm Reply with quote
#847643 wrote:
I love Gintama. It makes my day everytime I watch an episode or read the manga. It's hilarious. The anime is totally underrated. It should be up there together with One Piece. It's fantastic and the seiyuus are some of the best.

Thank you for the summary. I must admit that, because of the long break before this season, I had forgotten many details of the plot. I started reading the manga not long ago. I must have read 14 volumes so far, so there were plenty of things I did not get to read that I've remembered because of this synopsis.

Thanks! My goal in writing this piece was to help people (like me) who have trouble keeping these elements together from one elusive "serious" arc to the next.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
Since that's never going to happen, is there a list somewhere of the "essential" episodes that cover the ongoing plot?

Honestly, outside of the Benizakura Arc (episodes 58-62; retold in the first feature film) and the Courtesan of a Nation Arc (episodes 257-261), none of the serious arcs tie directly into Gintoki's story. However, tidbits of his history are sprinkled throughout other episodes and arcs. His first meeting with Shoyo, for example, was chronicled in the Red Spider Arc (episodes 177-181). Also, I guess episode 17, which featured Takasugi's first appearance, should probably be included on the surprisingly short list of "essential" episodes.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
“Shiro Yaksha,” or “White Knight.”

Crunchyroll has always used "White Demon" when Gintoki is called Shiroyaksha unless "yaksha" also means knight?

For me, I'm highly curious what Takasugi has been cooking with the Mimawarigumi and the Bakufu. He claims Gintoki has gotten soft for moving on from the rebellion but, I can't see what he plans on creating if the Shogun and government are eradicated. Doubt Takasugi wants to remain in charge and become a lord of sorts. His story has been the most glossed over in the series so badly that even the characters wondered why Takasugi and Kamui kept showing up in the opening credits. Hope there's some humor in the new arc.

JaggedAuthor gave the long/short of it but, I'll just list overall serious arcs.

Episode 17- First time seeing Takasugi
Benizakura: Episodes 58-61 (proper intro of the Kiheitai)
Shinsengumi Crisis: Episodes 101-105
Yoshiwara in Flames: Episodes 139-146 (proper intro of Kamui and Tsukyo)
Red Spider: Episodes 177-188
Kabukicho Four Devas: Episodes 210-214
Episode 215: Takasugi & Kamui alliance
Thorny (Baragaki): Episodes 244-247
*Courtesan of a Nation (Ikkoku Keisei): Episodes 257-261 (not much with the main plot, but so damn sad!)
Joi Reunion: Episodes 271-272 (more info on Joi backstory)
Grim Reaper: Episodes 279-281 (more on Gintoki's past)
Kaientai: Episodes 290-291 (more n Sakamoto's past)

Did I miss anything??!
Kumailh

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Just wanted to drop by to say this was such an excellently written article!
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:02 pm Reply with quote
keichitsu0305 wrote:
Crunchyroll has always used "White Demon" when Gintoki is called Shiroyaksha unless "yaksha" also means knight?

I think I grabbed "White Knight" from Sentai's DVD release of the first movie. Crunchyroll's subs have interchangeably referred to him as "White Devil" and "White Yaksha." I don't know if "Yaksha" has a double meaning or the film's translator simply thought "White Knight" sounded cooler. (It kind of does?)
xzy123

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:15 pm Reply with quote
what job got to do with attacking alien
Nodz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:49 pm Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
keichitsu0305 wrote:

I think I grabbed "White Knight" from Sentai's DVD release of the first movie. Crunchyroll's subs have interchangeably referred to him as "White Devil" and "White Yaksha." I don't know if "Yaksha" has a double meaning or the film's translator simply thought "White Knight" sounded cooler. (It kind of does?)

Isn't he called "Shiroyasha"?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:06 pm Reply with quote
nodz wrote:
Isn't he called "Shiroyasha"?

The characters in his nickname are 白夜叉. The 夜叉 part is confusing because in Japanese that's pronounced "yasha" (same characters as in Inuyasha) but its meaning is the Sanskrit "yaksha." Demon or spirit is probably a better translation than knight.

Says someone who doesn't speak Japanese. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2