• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Vanishing Point

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crisha

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:51 am Reply with quote
I'm being lenient with this thread because the topic of the gaming community and different groups like "social warriors" was mentioned in the article by Todd, so responding to that in regards to the Dead or Alive game isn't off topic. The topic has a history of getting heated responses, so I've been keeping an eye out, but for the most part people have been reasonable. It's fine to discuss them in this thread as long you're being polite.

For example, not calling people pejorative or condescending terms. Just because it happens on other places on the internet doesn't mean it's accepted here.

Also, no flamebaiting or being needlessly antagonistic.

Like I said, this thread has for the most part been fine. Discussions about certain groups is not off topic for the thread. But if things start getting heated or too off tangent then the mods will step in.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:16 am Reply with quote
Northlander wrote:
Fair enough, but I'd like to reiterate that my point was that the Chao part being in the game didn't bother me because it was optional. The Big the Cat part of the game did because it was not. I can't really speak for the popularity of the Chao raising part of either Sonic Adventure game, but I'm pretty sure at least some people would be annoyed if that, too, was a forced aspect of the game instead of an optional one. Or, on the flip side, if the Big the Cat part of the game also was optional and you only had to play the parts with Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, ED-... 208? ....and the Amy stages to get to the last part with Super Sonic, I'm pretty sure people wouldn't be so volatile about Big being there.

I've played neither of those. Are you talking about Chao raising or Big the Cat?

Ah, I see your point there. I'm a completionist, so to me, everything is required. (The robot's name is E-102 Gamma, by the way.)

For the record, I'm talking about Chao-raising that was reduced to a minigame in Sonic Advance and removed in Sonic Heroes.

The Chao-raising, by the way, was also SEGA promoting something else, though in a less direct way than with Big: A-Life, a program meant to simulate realistic, complex behavior of childlike or pet-like creatures. It was developed for Nightopians in NiGHTS into Dreams and refined considerably for Sonic Adventure. The idea was to try to expand A-Life to other projects and, hopefully, sold to other companies to use. It didn't pan out as hoped, it seems.

Stuart Smith wrote:
Of course, if we're talking about Japan that's something else entirely. Japan has no issue making games for niches. Japan makes a lot of games for female audiences, but they almost never get released in America presumably due to a small market not worth the effort of localizing them. Perhaps this is one of the instances where Kickstarter could be beneficial.

-Stuart Smith

Neither does the United States. Indie games like Super Meat Boy, Mutant Mudds, Freedom Planet, and Papers, Please were never intended to gain anything more than a niche audience either. The difference seems to be that large game studios in Japan are willing to produce niche work whereas large game studios in the United States are way more risk-averse. But they do get produced. They just have to go through different means.

By the way, I should mention that the Style Savvy series is a prime example of a game aimed squarely at women that have sold well; they became big hits as million-sellers below the general gaming radar. Same goes for hidden-object games like the Nancy Drew series on the PC. And there's no denying that the "Flower Town" part of StreetPass Mii Plaza is meant for a female audience (the focus is about growing and collecting flowers, and the deuteragonist, Mendel, is a bishounen boyfriend type character). The issue here is that when a game aimed at women is a success, gaming culture tends to ignore it, so you don't hear about it.

Primus wrote:
I've definitely seen criticism about Japan's mobile shift. In fact, you'll find tonnes of articles claiming their games industry is dead as a result of it. So there's definitely a sense that they're not "real games", and that's not a gender exclusive sentiment.

The question then becomes: Why aren't mobile games real video games? What traits does a game have to have to be a video game or a computer game?
Trypticon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:55 am Reply with quote
Okay, I see, it defaults the term a certain way; fair enough, as long as people know what I mean. Take what I say with a grain of salt.

On my original post, I used the term “Shonen Jump Weekly boogeyman” which I put in quotes as I just did now; that is indicative that I’m not taking a shot at anyone who disagrees with me, or someone who criticises games and other art/entertainment from a feminist or other idealistic lens. After all; if people are truly about free speech, than I think people should be able to review art/entertainment how they want as they see fit, whether I personally agree or disagree with them, their ideology, lens or overall opinion. This particular thread is an example; I’ve expressed my disagreement with the original article, explained specifically how and why I disagree and nobody’s given me any trouble for it, so it’s all pretty fair to me.

The context of how I used the term on this thread is since this game is not getting a release in North America and Europe, some people are quick to find a scapegoat in the form of the “big, bad, evil Shonen Jump Weekly” hence the term “Shonen Jump Weekly boogeyman,” the implications I’m trying to make with it is that the whole idea of blaming a group of people for something not being released in a certain place without looking at the facts is passé nonsense.

These implications are also an element I was talking about in my original post where the term was used in a tweet to raise controversy (those who have seen it know what I’m talking about), which leads me to believe its being used for marketing purposes. Now, one thing I do know about marketing is that companies are not just trying to sell a product, but a lifestyle. In the case of this tweet, it was made by a company that is selling the game and I believe the implication behind it is that purchasing the game is making a statement; one of spite and rebellion, one of “fight the power, yeah!”

Do I agree with it? No. I found it gimmicky and something that will and have caused unnecessary conflict in an already hostile community. Now, speaking for myself, I ordered the game from the link, but because I’ve always enjoyed the franchise, not to spite anyone. As I originally stated; there was no campaign to prohibit Tecmo/Koei from releasing their game here; they have done that themselves as a business decision. At the end of the day; we can still buy it, and that might work out for the better anyways because they do have some pretty neat collector’s editions available which I ordered the PS4 one; which reminds me; anyone interested in buying a mousepad?

leafy sea dragon wrote:
This is why, I believe, the Extreme Beach Volleyball sub-series is seen as sexist: Roller blading and biking are not as titillating as the existing mini-games. The decision to keep those mini-games and not add in more gameplay-oriented things as you describe, as well as the photography sessions and the just-watching-the-girls-on-the-beach aspects are pretty voyeuristic. Hence, the game's overall structure when not volleyball creates the impression that the game lives at least partially on sex appeal. There's also the lack of male characters and how the sub-series has been consistently marketed in all regions for its sex appeal rather than its gameplay.

Yeah, more or less what I’ve mentioned in my earlier post. It’s why I disagree with the overall term “DOAX is sexist” when I feel that DOAX isn’t sexist overall, but there are aspects to it that are sexist. What you mentioned here are some of those.

As far as the whole voyeuristic element, I also don’t mind that so long as the character is interesting and well written; if it’s a game, it has to be fun and have engaging gameplay, if it’s an anime, it has to have interesting themes that tie into the character’s story arc, or at least be well executed (from my perspective); the point being is that either medium doesn’t forget their respectful fundamentals to create something worthwhile that has substance.

It goes along with what you mention here:

leafy sea dragon wrote:
You know, that's something I never really thought much: What I think makes some suggestive content uncomfortable and some others perfectly fine with me is agency, and I'd bet this is the same with a lot of other people. Characters like Bayonetta and Elvira I don't get bothered with at all, because they are the ones who are flaunting themselves and are in control. In other words, they chose to wear revealing clothing, speak double entendres knowing full well what they mean, and are depicted as intelligent and quick. It's where the characters are put into compromising, embarrassing situations or are subjected to the male gaze oblivious to it all is where it's uncomfortable.

This is similar with some of the anime I watch with ecchi content; characters dress a certain way and are confident and comfortable about it, whether it’s simply their culture that allows them to do so, such as Queen’s Blade, or when it can help illustrate a character's mentality such as how Rias from High School DxD goes out of her way to tease the main character Issei.

I also find that when a series is actually about something thematically, and these ideas are explored with the characters story arcs, decisions and resolutions then the ecchi content is subordinated to these concepts even being put to use to reinforce them.

I’m also aware that people have different thresholds in terms of what sort of content they want to watch; this isn’t just eroticism being put into a game, anime or movie, but also gore and violence which some people can only take so much of. It boils down to respecting each other’s opinions and not judging someone whether they like a lot of “loud” content in their art/entertainment or they feel it detracts from their enjoyment of something.

leafy sea dragon wrote:
Contrast this to Rumble Roses, which also has an all-female cast and is sexualized to a pretty high degree, but it doesn't get nearly as much controversy because the game is focused on the wrestling, and advertising for it focuses on the gameplay with its sexual content being secondary. (And probably because most of the characters have that agency I mentioned earlier whereas the DOA characters tend to be submissive and quiet.)

Rumble Roses is a pretty good game too, but another thing that helps it is that it’s very self-aware and plays up some of the campy cheese aspect of it. I also agree that all the characters have their motives for wanting to be pro-wrestlers and possess agency.

This brings me back to DOAX, as I mentioned earlier, I can buy the fact that the characters would play volleyball against each other. The game itself is a nice contrast to other titles by Tecmo/Koei like Ninja Gaiden and even the latest DOA game that share some or all of the same characters which are more gritty and quite brutal at times whereas DOAX has a softer, lighter, more pleasant environment.

But I agree, and as I mentioned, I just can’t go along with certain characters playing butt battle or whatever; yeah, I could picture Tina or Honoka doing so; but a character like say, Kasumi, or even a majority of the cast? Not in a million years, and I do feel these mini games do have a bit of a sexual humiliation vibe to them. Aside from that, they’re awkward to play and quite boring.

So to conclude that component of my thoughts; I don’t think DOAX as a whole is sexist, but I agree that certain elements are. While it’s important to consider all these various elements and their social implications and taking some time to think things over, it’s also important for the person playing these games to understand that this is all escapist fantasy as well; that alone will make it easier to simultaneously enjoy it while being able to be critical of it at the same time. The best thing about all this is that people are going to have different perspectives and opinions which is what makes discussing this stuff interesting. Provided everyone stays cool about it.

@Lili-Hime I looked at those articles and statistics you linked over; interesting stuff, and it does give a clearer picture than when people merely say “women make up half of the gamers,” which isn’t specific enough to go on; it doesn’t tell me enough. With the links you provided, I like that there’s general info on console, PC and handheld games as well as which types of games are more popular among the genders.

What I’m curious to know even more specifically, are which consoles are being purchased and played more by which gender and why. Don’t get me wrong, if there’s a marginal difference between the genders on all the consoles, that’s not really something to get into a fuss about. However, if for example (I’m making this up for the sake of discussion), let’s say an overwhelming majority of male gamers choose Xbox; from there, what I want to know is why that is and why female gamers are drawn to the other consoles and reject Xbox while male gamers reject the other consoles and gravitate towards Xbox. Is it the game selection? The types of games? Perhaps the community? Is it the online service? The overall gameplay? Brand loyalty perhaps?

There are a lot of various factors that come into this and I think it would be pretty neat to get even more particular for more clarity just to get a better idea of whose buying and playing what and why.
Northlander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:01 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Ah, I see your point there. I'm a completionist, so to me, everything is required. (The robot's name is E-102 Gamma, by the way.)

Ah. Must've had Robocop on my brain or something when I tried remembering his name. ^^;;

Quote:
For the record, I'm talking about Chao-raising that was reduced to a minigame in Sonic Advance and removed in Sonic Heroes

The Chao-raising, by the way, was also SEGA promoting something else, though in a less direct way than with Big: A-Life, a program meant to simulate realistic, complex behavior of childlike or pet-like creatures. It was developed for Nightopians in NiGHTS into Dreams and refined considerably for Sonic Adventure. The idea was to try to expand A-Life to other projects and, hopefully, sold to other companies to use. It didn't pan out as hoped, it seems.

That's interesting to know. I actually did a little bit of the Chao raising thing on Sonic Adventure 2, which I got for the Gamecube, but eventually lost interest in it. It's an interesting concept I guess, but, again, I was glad it was made optional.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:

The whole issue on female portrayal seemed like one of those unanswerable questions. For all the complaints you see about characters like Quiet, I notice that far more women cosplay as Quiet or other 'moe' Japanse game girls, or get a lot more fanart than female characters who get praised for being 'realistic' or 'non-sexualized'. So who knows what that tells us.
-Stuart Smith

It tells that the majority of people complaining about the way women are portrayed in video games are men?

strawberry-kun wrote:
Another problem with importing the new DoAX3 is the DLC issue. That's the main thing for me. I'm sure there's going to be a ton of DLC, but you can't buy the DLC with a US account which is easy enough to solve. The bigger pain is that you can't use US dollars to buy DLC on the Asian version. You have to buy PSN cards unless I've heard wrong. As much as I want this, it's too much of a pain to buy Asian region PSN cards whenever I want new DLC.

I don't know if this works in the Asian market but if you have a debit card and two paypal accounts along with a foreign PSN account tied to the foreign paypal account you can do that.

leafy sea dragon wrote:

Contrast this to Rumble Roses, which also has an all-female cast and is sexualized to a pretty high degree, but it doesn't get nearly as much controversy because the game is focused on the wrestling, and advertising for it focuses on the gameplay with its sexual content being secondary.

Pretty much even with the addition of the Queen's Match in XXX.

Primus wrote:

The Dynasty Warriors games, which are from Koei Tecmo, don't get English dubs anymore.

Actually these do still get english dubs as awkward and ill fitting as they come off sounding like. It's the offshoots like Samurai Warriors that don't.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Primus

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:09 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Actually these do still get english dubs as awkward and ill fitting as they come off sounding like. It's the offshoots like Samurai Warriors that don't.

Not entirely. Dynasty Warriors 8 only got a partial dub, but 8 Xtreme Legends and 8 Empires didn't even get that.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Trypticon wrote:
But I agree, and as I mentioned, I just can’t go along with certain characters playing butt battle or whatever; yeah, I could picture Tina or Honoka doing so; but a character like say, Kasumi, or even a majority of the cast? Not in a million years, and I do feel these mini games do have a bit of a sexual humiliation vibe to them. Aside from that, they’re awkward to play and quite boring.

What I’m curious to know even more specifically, are which consoles are being purchased and played more by which gender and why. Don’t get me wrong, if there’s a marginal difference between the genders on all the consoles, that’s not really something to get into a fuss about. However, if for example (I’m making this up for the sake of discussion), let’s say an overwhelming majority of male gamers choose Xbox; from there, what I want to know is why that is and why female gamers are drawn to the other consoles and reject Xbox while male gamers reject the other consoles and gravitate towards Xbox. Is it the game selection? The types of games? Perhaps the community? Is it the online service? The overall gameplay? Brand loyalty perhaps?

There are a lot of various factors that come into this and I think it would be pretty neat to get even more particular for more clarity just to get a better idea of whose buying and playing what and why.

Well, regarding the stuff like the butt-bumping, where there is a sort of humiliation aspect to it, or cases of the "innocent fanservice girl" where the character is unaware of themselves, it feels quite dirty and exploitative. It's intended to make the player (or viewer, reader, listener, or whatever, depending on the medium) feel pleasure out of a feeling of superiority.

That is what the accusations come from: The creators' intent. Do they want male gamers (and I guess homosexual female gamers) to feel sexual pleasure by putting them in the shoes of someone who can utterly dominate and humiliate them? We'll never know for sure, but I can say that the DOAX games creates that impression on me (well, more so than the main Dead or Alive series anyway).

As for women audiences for video games, I would say that it's more important to focus on the games themselves, not the platform. A platform is worthless as a gaming platform if it doesn't have appealing games to back it up (and this goes for all gaming platforms, including mobile devices). Thus, I would say that a better question to ask to determine women gamers is, "Have you played a video game or computer game in the last 12 months?"
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:05 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:

Not entirely. Dynasty Warriors 8 only got a partial dub, but 8 Xtreme Legends and 8 Empires didn't even get that.

I wouldn't know how much of 8XL was dubbed in english seeing as how I actually had to stop playing the game just after starting it for the first time to download the Japanese VO.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Lili-Hime wrote:
It's kind of funny to see people claim women are a 'vocal minority' when we make up 51% of the population. Myself and other women are against actual censorship as much as the next person. Just because we'd like the culture to be a little more inclusive doesn't mean we're gonna play big sister and take all the booby games away.

The poster who said feminists are being used as a boogyman was right on. Especially in this case. Game companies give all sorts of dumb excuses not to release games..."Americans don't like anime games", "Americans only like 3D games", "Americans don't like RPGS", etc... Blaming feminists or western attitudes is a great way for them to divert fan's rage away from them and onto other people. Let's not also forget that apparently they've added a more loli looking character... and THAT is probably going to cause more backlash than anything. The west has a much lower tolerance for anything resembling sexualizing children* than Asian countries do.

Also being alarmist about censorship is downright silly. It's not censorship, you can buy the game or watch it streamed or w/e you want. You just have to buy it online instead of walking into Wal Mart. Having to pay extra for shipping or import costs or w/e =/= censorship. It's not like Obama's going to come to your house and snap the disc in half. Criticism is not suppression or censorship. You may as well say critics are 'censoring' Adam Sandler by giving his movies bad reviews due to the immature humor

*Or prepubscent adolescents, w/e. Making a character 18 or a 1000 year old vampire/demon doesn't change the fact they look 11.

To split in several parts:

1 - Feminism is so broad that it is divided in several ideologies (Sex-positive is one example). To blame feminists (the ones who defend women's rights) is downright absurd. You can however blame some of the feminist subsets, and that's where my focus goes to.

2 - This controversy feels as artificial as when violent films or Heavy Metal was blamed for violence and drug consumption, and pornography was accused of stimulating rape. In fact, to use an anime example, when Dragon Ball came to this country, the prime-minister's wife talked about the spreading of violence in the youth. For these reasons, I am immune to the fuzz made around videogames. But it makes sense to be weary of censorship, for we've all seen the slippery slope before. There were/are attempts to ban/censor all the things above.

3 - I am an outsider on this matter, but I have the impression that the girls in DoA are portrayed as intelligent and capable fighters. If this turns out to be true, then I immediately dismiss the sexism charges. I will quickly have more problems with some of the anime I've seen or heard of. For something more fitting of sexism (or maybe extreme fetishism):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RapeLay

4 - I am as much of a supporter of equality of treatment as the next one, to the point of being called gay for my persistence on LGBT rights (since age 12). But the only restriction I make is of hate speech. And no hate speech has been made against women here. If anything, maybe some guys ''love'' them too much (talking about the fanservice here).

5 - The portrayal of minor-looking figures is a complete non-issue. Those who are not interested in raping minors will still not do so after seeing them, and those who were already were before seeing them. Like with violence in flims, music and videogames. I believe in personal responsibility rather than tossing around blame on controversial elements. (Not saying you are doing that, Just stating an overview of my opinion here).

My main criticism with the gaming industry is the lack of variety in terms of demographics, but that's a different story.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:17 am Reply with quote
Ciolek defending censorship is a regular feature now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9