• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Vanishing Point

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Corrections to the missing characters part:

Dr. Cossack: He was at least in Wily & Light's RockBoard: That's Paradise, in 1993 (it's a Monopoly-like board game)

Wart: There was a Satellaview sequel to Super Mario USA (SMB2) that came out in 1996 with him. Even for releases in the US, he was in Link's Awakening (under his original name "Mamu," and not as an antagonist).

Also, Streets of Rage 2's ending shows that it's Thanksgiving.

Last edited by Dessa on Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:32 pm Reply with quote
you know, poelpe blamign lwo sales and all would have a point if it were not for the fact that the tn representative already said that is not the case. ofc, you could always argue that if doax moved millions instead of hundreds of thousands tecmo would not fear the backslash.
Zerreth

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:33 pm Reply with quote
FalconPunch wrote:

Ah, about Big, fans dislike one of the unique characters in the games, but It's Sonic Fans, you know, they hate everything.

You're kidding right? I get your statement was a joke but even 10 year old me realized that Big was just a shoe-horned advertisement for Sega Bass Fishing. When I first got my dreamcast there was the "coming soon" demo disk and Sonic Adventure.

The 5 games you could demo were House of the Dead 2, Sonic Adventure, Ready 2 Rumble Boxing, Power Stone, and SEGA BASS FISHING. Big's fishing elements played literally the exact same way the arcade fishing game did (no surprise). His story had no life to it, he was voiced like a dunce, and he played no part whatsoever in the grand scheme of the story. Out of everything that exists in the Sonic universe, Big is the only thing I genuinely have a hatred for.

Did i mention you're expected to fight with Big as well? Because you have to. Otherwise, you'll be hit when you're fishing, which means you have to clear the area of enemies first with his awful one handed 20 degree swing of his pole or you toss your fishing line at them. He shouldn't have existed, ever.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Amiantos wrote:
Gasero wrote:
I'm in the camp that believes Koei doesn't want to release Dead or Alive Volleyball 3 in the US because they are not confident about sales.

Despite people claiming that "politically correct culture" is destroying businesses, there is still plenty of sexualization and bigotry to go around.

DOAX 1 & 2 sold comparable in the US to Japan. There's been countless articles on the net by the usual suspects calling the DoA franchise sexist. We've seen softban on "sexist" dlc costumes in the tourney scene for this game too.

I've seen some people compile all the articles written by big gaming media sites.

No surprise they think they will suffer backlash... from the gaming media that is.
Sadly, the gaming media does not represent the majority opinion in the gaming community.
falcon.punch

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Zerreth wrote:

You're kidding right? I get your statement was a joke but even 10 year old me realized that Big was just a shoe-horned advertisement for Sega Bass Fishing. When I first got my dreamcast there was the "coming soon" demo disk and Sonic Adventure.

The 5 games you could demo were House of the Dead 2, Sonic Adventure, Ready 2 Rumble Boxing, Power Stone, and SEGA BASS FISHING. Big's fishing elements played literally the exact same way the arcade fishing game did (no surprise). His story had no life to it, he was voiced like a dunce, and he played no part whatsoever in the grand scheme of the story. Out of everything that exists in the Sonic universe, Big is the only thing I genuinely have a hatred for.

Did i mention you're expected to fight with Big as well? Because you have to. Otherwise, you'll be hit when you're fishing, which means you have to clear the area of enemies first with his awful one handed 20 degree swing of his pole or you toss your fishing line at them. He shouldn't have existed, ever.

I was being ironic about Big, but the Sonic fans hate everything is quite true.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:

Wart: There was a Satellaview sequel to Super Mario USA (SMB2) that came out in 1996 with him.

There was?! Do you know what it was called? How have I never heard of this!
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Maybe xenoblade deserve to sell well, but its sadly stuck on the wii u, so it won't. From what I understand its Japanese sales were quite disappointing and I don't see any reason it'll do much better here. Maybe it'll get grand total 300 K sales. Monolith has to release it on PC/PS4 if they want to see any decent sales.

DOA, not really into fighter, but this sounds either like a community manager who acted on his own and made his own interpretation or a big marketing plot, where they'll try to get people to buy the game on ideological grounds. Since most console don't have region lock anymore and you can easily import the game since it has an English version. I think its rather silly to not release a game because you don't want to deal with bloger talking about the sexist aspect of your game, and I think blogger/internet people (for lack of better term) who do talk about "game misogyny" are pretty big buffoon who at best waste there effort on something irrelevant and at worse actually hurt the industry and most likely only do so for there own benefit.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:11 pm Reply with quote
what's funny is that the response wasn't an official one from TK, but just a community manager responding to a Facebook post. That's it; there's been no official comment from TK itself.

I also find some of Itagaki's comments to be in typical awesome fashion, such him being disappointed at the jet ski game vanishing while also telling someone who claims US women are just jealous of the DOA girls that he's dead wrong.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:18 pm Reply with quote
I'd be more upset about DOAX3 not being localized here, but then I remembered the second game was crap, and they cut all of my favorite girls from the roster.

I mean seriously, a DOAX game without Tina is like a Baywatch reunion special without Pam Anderson. It just ain't right. Confused

Speaking of Baywatch, BTW, if you can put a show like that on local TV, you can release a game like this in North America. Seriously. Rolling Eyes
Souther

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Dessa wrote:

Wart: There was a Satellaview sequel to Super Mario USA (SMB2) that came out in 1996 with him.

Details here: http://www.mariowiki.com/BS_Super_Mario_USA
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:21 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

the problem is, they are not some random bloggers, a lot of them writte in gaming websites with millions of views.

Quote:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:11 pm Post subject:
what's funny is that the response wasn't an official one from TK, but just a community manager responding to a Facebook post. That's it; there's been no official comment from TK itself.

except for the comment from TK europe confirming what the team ninja rep said.
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

LOL, Zac. I just looked up Wart on the Mario Wikia ^^;

Thanks, Souther, for grabbing the link.
John Thacker

Quote:
the sort of people deluded enough to use the term “person who cares about social justice” as a pejorative

By which you mean Canadian yoga instructors:

Quote:
"But Scharf, a yoga teacher with the downtown Rama Lotus Centre, said the concept does not apply in this case, arguing the complaint that killed the program came instead from a "person who cares about social justice" with "fainting heart ideologies" in search of a cause celebre.

"People are just looking for a reason to be offended by anything they can find," said Scharf."

I prefer to think of complaints about "Social Justice Warriors" case by case, just as with "editing, censoring, and other mollifications," to quote Todd in a prior column. There are certainly cases of bowdlerizing or change in design that improve works or make no difference, and I certainly do find many complaints about changes highly overwrought, but it's also pretty delusional to deny that there are simply unreasonable complaints out there from the pro-censorship side as well. There are always fights to determine the acceptable topics of conversation and what is too blasphemous to be part of acceptable society, and (setting aside any question of actual legal sanctions) there will be excesses on both sides.

Similarly, the silly deluded (even if well-meaning) folks attempting to protest introducing people to kimono and art are difficult to describe without that handy shorthand. Japanese people and Japanese-Americans responded in the only reasonable manner, which is just short of open ridicule:
Quote:
“We actually do not quite understand what their point of protest is,” said Jiro Usui, the Deputy Consul General of Japan in Boston. “We tried to listen to those people who are protesting, but we think together with the MFA we should encourage that Japanese culture be appreciated in a positive way.”

Last edited by John Thacker on Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
toddc

Souther wrote:
Zac wrote:
Dessa wrote:

Details here: http://www.mariowiki.com/BS_Super_Mario_USA

Sadly, it's pretty much a port of the Super NES version of Super Mario Bros. 2 with some new cutscenes and audio-drama interludes that try to make it sound like a sequel. I still await Super Mario Galaxy 3: The Legend of Wart's Gold.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:24 pm Reply with quote
-Missing in Action: Cut from the Cast-

Big the Cat: Non-Sonic fans have labeled him as a gigantic retard and too mentally deficient to really matter despite he unknowingly seemed to help Sonic and the others beat Eggman in his own way. However, when you have a bad track record of just being a stupid doofus who didn't really bring much to the table, chances are no one wants to see you return.

Sodom: Oddly, he's one character that I've seen some fans request to see return despite he's basically the epitome of a Japanophile (let's not beat around the bush: Sodom is one, even before the term became mainstream to use to insult those annoying fools who thought Japan was the greatest thing ever and that no other country could compare). Maybe they stopped using him because (and I think this was just some rumor that has long since been quelled) he was Japan's usual poor attempt at portraying a "stupid North American ignorant of Japanese culture" and that got under some folks' skin enough to not use him again. But then again, there have been worse stereotypes of North Americans done by Japan out there, so that old rumor really doesn't hold much water today.

Dr. Cossack: If it weren't for Cossack, Mega Man wouldn't have had the greatness of Beat, but I guess because Beat regularly appeared without much input or fanfare from Cossack since Mega Man 5, no one cared much for the Russian robot scientist anymore. He's still a neat character and they could have just had him appear in the games to help Dr. Light out at times. At least the U.S. comics and the Megamix manga made better use of him. The whole story arc with Skull Man in the manga was a solid one and gave us some strong insight of how both he and the doctor were tortured about his existence.

Wart: Despite Wart has been requested numerous times to appear in both Smash as well as in future Mario games, let's be upfront about this. He's just not that memorable and hasn't had the villainous reputation Bowser's built up over Mario's long career as a gaming icon. Some people blame his design as well as the fact the series doesn't really need another villain when Bowser does it well enough (except for some of the RPGs). It could also be that defeating him in Super Mario Bros. 2 was by far the least interesting final battle Mario and company has ever had with a bad guy.

Xenoblade Chronicles X: Bringing up Xenosaga and Xenogears makes me miss both a lot. Xenogears was one of the best JRPGs of the 90s and Xenosaga really felt like it was going to go somewhere after the first episode (before that abominable second episode ruined everything and ultimately doomed the series to an early grave by the third episode's release). I have yet to play Xenoblade Chronicles and I've got no interest in this title, honestly. Guess the Xeno magic has just been over for me for a long time.

Last edited by belvadeer on Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9