• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Net Started

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:13 am Reply with quote
H. Guderian wrote:

Well I guess if "As neutral and corporate sounding as possible' was up to our expectations, then we got that from Koei. Reading 2ch's impression of the events was pretty funny, I must say.

As someone else said:

• By the time we get to 2006’s Dead or Alive Xtreme 2, the numbers drop precipitously. Xtreme 2 has sold just 0.25 million worldwide to date, less than half of what Xtreme Beach Volleyball sold. The ratios by territory are roughly the same, but the numbers are much lower for each.

At first glance, you’d think that means that North America is the obvious market for the game. After all, it sold more, right? Well, take a moment to consider that while Japan is a single country of 145,000 square miles and 126 million people, North America is an entire continent of nearly 10 million square miles, made up of 23 different countries and has a population of 565 million people. Simply put, it costs a lot more to market and distribute a game in North America than it does in Japan; it’s not a 1:1 comparison of sales figures.

So yes, while Koei Tecmo can sell more in North America, it’s still just not worth the publisher’s time or money to actually do so. The math just doesn’t add up. And Europe? Oh boy. The comparison is even less favorable: Europe is a continent of nearly 4 million square miles, 50 countries and has a population of almost 750 million people. Selling 80,000 copies of Xtreme and 30,000 copies of Xtreme 2 in a continent of 750 million people is abysmal.

belvadeer wrote:

Blade Arcus from Shining EX: Barely having any nonhumans in this fighter is what already makes it sink for me (well other than the fact that it's a fighting game). The Shining series is trying to move further and further away from the fact that it ever had wolflings, dragonutes and centaurs among the games' casts, like it's ashamed of it or something. All the name brand seems to be nowadays is an excuse to sell games because of tits, tits and more tits. Sad to see how very far down the mountain this once great series has fallen.

It didn't sell well in Japan neither.
falcon.punch

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:34 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:

Blade Arcus from Shining EX: Barely having any nonhumans in this fighter is what already makes it sink for me (well other than the fact that it's a fighting game). The Shining series is trying to move further and further away from the fact that it ever had wolflings, dragonutes and centaurs among the games' casts, like it's ashamed of it or something. All the name brand seems to be nowadays is an excuse to sell games because of tits, tits and more tits. Sad to see how very far down the mountain this once great series has fallen.

Tony Taka has nice art, but to fanservicey for my taste (I know he's a H artist), at least I see a game that Fanservice doesn't sell. (I expected less than 10k in both systems)
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:39 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
It didn't sell well in Japan neither.

That doesn't surprise me. Making a Shining fighter was a bad idea from square one, but it's ultimately a culmination of the poor direction they've taken the series in these past ten years.

FalconPunch wrote:
Tony Taka has nice art, but to fanservicey for my taste (I know he's a H artist), at least I see a game that Fanservice doesn't sell. (I expected less than 10k in both systems)

When I first saw his work for Shining Tears, I liked what I saw (I own the artbook for it). Considering he did really well on Lazarus and Volg's designs as well as the other beastmen in the game, I sometimes had trouble believing he's always been a hentai artist.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Itagaki made some hilarious comments on the whole Xtreme 3 controversy that are worth a read, including saying while they were rehashing an old concept, he made an entire new amazing IP called Devil's Third.

I'm definitely one of those people who doesn't really like people who seem to be a slave to Twitter/Facebook, so Net High seems like a fun concept. A game where you become a true keyboard warrior sounds fun.

-Stuart Smith
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
Itagaki made some hilarious comments on the whole Xtreme 3 controversy that are worth a read, including saying while they were rehashing an old concept, he made an entire new amazing IP called Devil's Third.

-Stuart Smith

So amazing it spent years in development hell and is currently set to launch on a console few people care about.
Paiprince

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:22 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Stuart Smith wrote:

-Stuart Smith

So amazing it spent years in development hell and is currently set to launch on a console few people care about.

Maybe Xenoblade X: No changing boobies edition will boost interest to the WiiU.

While I'm not much of a Shining person (lol?), having only played Shining Hearts, I think it's a bit unfair to call the recent entries "misdirection." Sure, they're very different from what I've seen of Shining Force (whose fans make up the majority of the "critics" of the new games.) but they're still enjoyable games in their own right. Looking at the history of the series, it has always been an amalgamation of different gaming perspectives. You may not like it but that's just how it is.
thewizardninja

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:12 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
MajorZero wrote:
I wonder if he's salty because vanilla NG3 turned out better than his own game.

It did?

It didn't. I don't know what he's been smoking.
MajorZero

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:40 am Reply with quote
thewizardninja wrote:
BadNewsBlues wrote:
MajorZero wrote:
I wonder if he's salty because vanilla NG3 turned out better than his own game.

It did?

It didn't. I don't know what he's been smoking.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/ninja-gaiden-3
http://www.metacritic.com/game/wii-u/devils-third

Can you prove reviewers were wrong on this one without resorting to usual "filthy casuals hurr-durr"?
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:15 am Reply with quote
Surely you meant to say "Tweet Fighter II"?
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:40 pm Reply with quote
MajorZero wrote:

Can you prove reviewers were wrong on this one without resorting to usual "filthy casuals hurr-durr"?

What's there to prove? outside of the fact that Ninja Gaiden 3 having a meta score of 58 isn't really that much better than having a meta score of 44. This is to say nothing of the fact that both games have some crazy dissonance at play with their user and critic reviews few critics liked Devil's Third but many users liked it. Whereas few critics liked NG3 but a lot of users liked and hated it.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:48 pm Reply with quote
not gonna lie i really thought it was kamina on the cover photo.

heres to hoping it gets released here
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2