• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Makoto Kobayashi Reveals Space Battleship Yamato Remake

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Psycho_Despair

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:18 pm Reply with quote
I can't wait to see it!!
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:28 pm Reply with quote
A continuation I would find unacceptable, but a remake? All right.

Wait. Gundam: The Origin. Space Battleship Yamato remake. Ideon's being remade too, isn't it?

What's going on?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:32 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
What's going on?

They're following Hollywood trends? Wink

Seriously though, Ideon is getting a remake? That will be interesting. And of course I'm on board for seeing Yamato once again.
The Coffee God

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

Seriously though, Ideon is getting a remake? That will be interesting.

animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2011-03-18/shinbo-tomino-want-to-do-new-madoka-magica-ideon

Yeah, it got severly overshadowed because it was in the same article as Shinbo saying he wanted to do another Madoka.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Very interesting, though I guess 2012 is definitely going to be the year of remakes if this keeps up. Which is fine by me, all things considered, despite not being a particularly creative move by the anime industry.

The Coffee God wrote:

animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2011-03-18/shinbo-tomino-want-to-do-new-madoka-magica-ideon

Yeah, it got severly overshadowed because it was in the same article as Shinbo saying he wanted to do another Madoka.

That one still sounds like one of Tomino's personal wishes as opposed to a confirmed project with an assigned budget and open corporate approval. Not that I wouldn't like to be wrong about this, mind you.
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:52 am Reply with quote
I would love for this to be dubbed an end up on Adult Swim just to spite Syfy for it's half-assed 2 AM airing of it earlier this year!

Of course, then again a reborn Space Battleship Argo (as I'm sure it would be called) might just be enough to get Syfy airing anime again...
Majin Tenshi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:02 am Reply with quote
No problem with Yamato getting a remake as long as it follows the trend of the original. A good example would be Go Nagai shows: Mazinkaizer, Shin Mazinger, New Getter Robo...etc all remakes but follows the same style of the originals with modern touches. Surly wouldn't want a moe style Yamato Evil or Very Mad
stararnold

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:25 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
A continuation I would find unacceptable, but a remake? All right.

I agree with you that a remake is alright for "Space Battleship Yamato", which really needs a boost in popularity with otaku crowds in Japan (and by extension worldwide). As for continuations, note that Susumu Kodai's search for his wife, one of the subplots of "Space Battlehsip Yamato: Resurrection", is still far from being complete. Plus, "Yamato 2520", another anime set in the continuity of the original "Space Battleship Yamato" series, never got to be finished partly because of Leiji Matsumoto, who tried to battle SBY creator Yoshinobu Nishizaki over the intellectual rights to the franchise.
Ovan~the~Rebirth

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:21 pm Reply with quote
LagannImpact wrote:
I would love for this to be dubbed an end up on Adult Swim just to spite Syfy for it's half-assed 2 AM airing of it earlier this year!

All right! Yeah i had to stop watching the original of SyFy because they skipped episodes left and right. But a new Sci-fi anime? Nice, i haven't seen any good space operas out for awhile, and Herioc Age was to much a heap of crap to watch past the first few episodes. This is a good excuse now for me to finish the old series.

As for calling it the Argo again, I'm gonna take a bet that whatever company gets the US licence for the series will keep it closer to the Japanese original, it isn't the 1980's anymore, things are usually more faithfully dubbed.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm gonna date myself and say that this was my favorite cartoon on TV when I was a kid. I used to watch it at 7 AM every morning before going to school, back when it first came out. Compared with later shows like G.I. Joe, this one was far, *far* superior.

I'd be very happy if they remade it. While I think it'd be pretty neat if they called it the Argo if it were dubbed, I can live with them not doing that.

At any rate, this is something I intend to keep my eyes on and hope for the best.
Majin Tenshi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Humm, i think that they can make another movie/OVA to conclude the last movie then reboot the show.

Well, I loved the Resurrection Movie which reminded me of why i actually watch anime and enjoy them a lot in the past. This is also probably because i am a die hard fan of Yamato. Though i was a bit disappointed that they re-casted Youko Asagami for her role as Yuki (though her role was more of cameo). And not getting the legendary Isao Sasaki to sing the Yamato song. Instead it was singed by no one and it didn't even sound right Mad
Lightning Leo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Huh, I never had a chance to see the original series growing up, so maybe I can check this out. Very Happy
jsc315

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:26 am Reply with quote
well just like the movie and game industry, when you are completely out of anything remotely original just remake things and make sequels.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:12 am Reply with quote
Majin Tenshi wrote:
No problem with Yamato getting a remake as long as it follows the trend of the original. A good example would be Go Nagai shows: Mazinkaizer, Shin Mazinger, New Getter Robo...etc all remakes but follows the same style of the originals with modern touches. Surly wouldn't want a moe style Yamato Evil or Very Mad

No, Yamato and moeblob don't mix (at least not hopefully). But Yamato and GAR could be an excellent combination. A little manliness mixed with 2012-style action would be great! And can we please give Captain Avatar an overhaul? He doesn't need that naval officer outfit and goofy white beard! (Although some might digress to make it faithful to the original).

Also, what if, for instance, the entire 77-episode run of the original was compressed into 39 episodes DBZ Kai-style, with the Quest for Iscandar taking like 13 episodes this time, the Comet Empire taking another 13, and whatever came after that taking another 13? And then to finish a 52-episode series, the final 13 episodes covering a brand-new storyline! Wouldn't that be awesome?
sburstall

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:20 am Reply with quote
Lightning Leo wrote:
Huh, I never had a chance to see the original series growing up, so maybe I can check this out. Very Happy

It's not that I haven't had a chance, I've had other series on my plate so it was a question of fitting it into my schedule. lol

I'd be ready to watch the series. Just need to find a site that has it so I can download it (don't worry, I have a few sites already in mind Wink ).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2