• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
BBK/BRNK (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:28 am Reply with quote

BBK/BRNK (TV)

Genres: Action
Themes:

Plot Summary: When Azuma Ikki returns to Japan after 10 years, he gets assaulted by a group of armed men and becomes their prisoner. Kogane Asabuki, a childhood friend, saves him with a weapon on her right hand known as Bubuki; a weapon with its own mind. Azuma Ikki, who is a Bubuki user himself, learns about the existence of Bubuki and goes on a journey alongside the companions he has found, in an attempt to find and revive Oumai, a Buranki (titan) who sleeps underground.

Preview:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIS05b8rArU&feature=youtu.be
----------------------------------

An original TV anime by studio SANZIGEN that celebrates their 10th anniversary.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:02 am Reply with quote
Episode 1:

Not bad. A lot of stuff happened and I think pretty much all the main characters are introduced. I'm confused about the exact nature of those Buranki stuff but I guess we'll find out more.

The CGI doesn't bother me a bit at all. Got used to it the first 5 minutes of the episode. OST is decent although I expect to see the OP song next time. It has potential so far. Oh and Kogane's rage is not to be underestimated Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Of course kids would do exactly what you told them not to..
A bit confusing at first.
What an interesting world.
Animation is a bit different then what we usually get.
Not lacking action.
Unusual, intriguing... might give it a try.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:25 pm Reply with quote
That was a really good first episode, color me intrigued.

It is kept simple in the prologue and establishes are sibling duo who will have a rivaling fate of sorts.spoiler[Unless shown otherwise, I am a firm believer that the mafia lady is in fact the sister and using the red energy has apparently dyed her hair permanently because ANIME.]

Hopefully the series can keep up with this first episode.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:23 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

I have seen a few CGI anime, Sidonia is among my favourite for how it lends itself to the mecha fights. This feels a little more closer to Arpeggio of Blue Steel, but from the first episode has more quality.It looks good as far as it goes, characters look more distinct than Sidonia, and more expressive than Arpeggio. But I think there is a bit of a problem with the frame rate, there just is not enough frames per second that it kind of hurts the eyes a bit despite some good feelings of fluidity. I am not too good at making an estimation, but I think that the character models frame rate is better than Arpeggio, it perhaps encouraged that they could move more, but it is not enough. The CG does lend itself well to blending with the mecha bits.

A lot happens in here, it feels kind of refreshing that it set so many hooks without answering too many of them. It will probably will be what makes this show sink or swim with how they explain itself. Some questions need to be answered, although it was actually kind of cool to throw us into the situation where we are putting pieces together.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:08 pm Reply with quote
episode one

Enjoying the lore-building on this a lot. In particular, it's making me wonder to what extent this futuristic setting is fueled by Buranki-derived technology. Only the weapons have been revealed so far, but I wouldn't be surprised if this was the secret behind the city's supergenerator or some such.

I'm of the opinion that the sister is going to turn out to be an antagonist, though I'm not sure if it will be as FenixFiesta believes. I'm on the fence in regards to reconciliation though, since I don't feel like the show's tone is established quite well enough for me to guess at that.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:06 am Reply with quote
Episode 2:

This series has a pretty fast pacing imo. In just two episodes, we got tons of action, Azuma being targeted because of his relations with his mother, etc. Roeko has a psychotic personality imo with the way she fought those kids. Also, it looks like Azuma has some hidden potentials (might of been inherited from his parents?)

Oh and OP song is kinda nice. I wonder if each ED theme song will feature a different antagonist like the redhead this week. I bet Roeko will return later on this season.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Got a different idea from the 1st episode.
So it's mecha through & through.
Not bad though, just not my thing.
This one isn't for me after all..
Skipping.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

Well, that was either incomprehensible or just pointless, I'm not sure which.

The entire episode consists of a combat between two sides including massive mecha. No suggestion as to why they are fighting except that is what people with mecha do. The mecha are apparently operated by magic or some power indistinguishable from magic. No apparent limits on the powers except the need of the current episode. And nobody gets seriously damaged.

As near as I can tell, the only thing that makes one side "good" is that the main character is part of it.

None of this makes any sense, and I don't think I care.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
As near as I can tell, the only thing that makes one side "good" is that the main character is part of it.

My money would be the nature that the series is not about if either side is "good or bad" but more so about application of power.

The show is trying to paint the antagonists as a bit more than "the evil empire" and may later reveal that there intentions while not necessarily noble can be understood better than "we are being jerks because we can".

Quote:
The entire episode consists of a combat between two sides including massive mecha. No suggestion as to why they are fighting except that is what people with mecha do. The mecha are apparently operated by magic or some power indistinguishable from magic. No apparent limits on the powers except the need of the current episode. And nobody gets seriously damaged.

Somewhere by the end of the first episode any audience member should take it that this is NOT a real robot show, if magic in your series is too off putting for your viewing habits there is certainly a back log of "real robot" shows from the past few years that can fill ones viewing quota.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:14 pm Reply with quote
@FenixFiesta

I have no problem with less than totally evil antagonists. What bothered me is the lack of a coherent narrative. The good guys don't seem to be fighting for or against anything. No specific goal but survival. The "bad" guys don't seem to have any goal except killing the kids and retrieving what is left of the mecha. The whole episode was simply one big pointless fight.

I have no problem with magic as a motivator but I don't see the purpose of mixing it with mecha. If you can protect yourself with magic force fields and throw magic energy bolts why are we seeing one mecha bash another with its fists?

As you can probably tell, I'm not really into mecha shows. I've run into the term "real robot" but I'm not sure how that is defined. The only mecha I've ever seen that had any pretense of reality were those by Shirow in his manga.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I have no problem with less than totally evil antagonists. What bothered me is the lack of a coherent narrative. The good guys don't seem to be fighting for or against anything. No specific goal but survival. The "bad" guys don't seem to have any goal except killing the kids and retrieving what is left of the mecha. The whole episode was simply one big pointless fight.

It is about revenge by hypotenuse, the red haired lady clearly knows the lead protagonists mother as she "recognizes those eyes" which likely ties into why she still looks like a teenage girl herself, her cohort commented that her real age is forty and said condition.
(which not so coincidentally forty would be close to the Mother's age if she still lives).

It would probably not gain the antagonists in whatever agenda there running but just as well revenge doesn't need to go by any logic of justice.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:49 pm Reply with quote
@FenixFiesta

Determining someone's parenthood by the appearance of their eyes. Shocked OK, that makes about as much sense as the rest of the show. Beyond pointing out that hat guy had made a determined attempt to kill the kids before that, I think I'll just let this go.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:10 am Reply with quote
What I got from the first 2 episodes is that when Oubo fell to earth it caused a lot of damage which the main character's mother was blamed for, so I guess if he fights it will be to clear his mother's name. It appears that each of Our Heroes has their own reason for fighting; this leads into the other main idea in episode two, which is that they must work together to use their mech.

It kind of looks like Voltron crossed with Giant Robo; they combine but ride on the outside because...science! I also notice the pieces are two legs, two arms and a heart-and no brain. just a lot of clichés piling up on themselves. I think I'm done with this one.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:13 am Reply with quote
OldCharlieStoletheHandle,

I'm pretty sure that Oubo isn't the only uh... BBwhatever to fall to Earth. In fact, if you watch closely in Ep 1, there's a part where it shows several BBwhatevers dropping down to Earth, and then Mom sends the kids down in Oubo while she tries to recover things on the Island. My guess is that it was the other BB* that caused the damage rather than Oubo.

All,

I wonder if the single BB* that just came down was bringing Sis to Earth. If so, those guys who went off to deal with it will probably seriously regret it. Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6