• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kyoto Animation's A Silent Voice - Koe no Katachi, Higanjima Films Listed in Fall

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Shame it doesn't mean this Fall because it's pretty much over.

Basically, about 2 years for the movie to come out and probably 6+ months for BDs that. I hope it's worth waiting for.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DontmesswithKarma

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm so excited for this. my favourite ever story finally in anime form. so excited. also curious since it will be KyoAni'series first standalone movie connected to no videos show/ova/etc.
boznia

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:15 pm Reply with quote
deleted

Last edited by boznia on Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:18 pm Reply with quote
DontmesswithKarma wrote:
also curious since it will be KyoAni'series first standalone movie connected to no videos show/ova/etc.

Although, if the movie only covers the elementary school arc, it's quite possible they'll follow it up with a full series focusing on the high school arc.
DontmesswithKarma

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
DontmesswithKarma wrote:
also curious since it will be KyoAni'series first standalone movie connected to no videos show/ova/etc.

Although, if the movie only covers the elementary school arc, it's quite possible they'll follow it up with a full series focusing on the high school arc.

I don't care if they do the full series in a movie. if they do it right it could be bloody amazing. plus 2 and a half hour plus movie isn't beyond them. I'm just crazy excited for it as I wholeheartedly believe KyoAni can become the next Ghibli in terms of international recognition in animated films
TRNielson

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:09 pm Reply with quote
In KyoAni We Believe.

Only heard about Koe No Katachi a few minutes ago, but was already hyped about it BEFORE finding out KyoAni is behind it. Now the hype is off the chart.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:10 pm Reply with quote
I dunno I'm still not really convinced. Yeah it'll look nice but I flat out don't trust this studio nor that director with this kind of story. It's very possible they can prove me wrong since they are not bad directors but still I hope this isn't turned into something it's not.
DontmesswithKarma

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Thatguy3331 wrote:
I dunno I'm still not really convinced. Yeah it'll look nice but I flat out don't trust this studio nor that director with this kind of story. It's very possible they can prove me wrong since they are not bad directors but still I hope this isn't turned into something it's not.

what u mean? these guys are perfect for it. especially this particular team. yeah Tamako is much more light hearted but the movie about romance was done so well that I'd be utterly surprised if they don't do it incredibly. don't forget the director of this directed some episodes of Clannad After story so she knows how to handle sadness. kyoto animation are one of the best studios out there
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:40 pm Reply with quote
DontmesswithKarma wrote:
Thatguy3331 wrote:

what u mean? these guys are perfect for it. especially this particular team. yeah Tamako is much more light hearted but the movie about romance was done so well that I'd be utterly surprised if they don't do it incredibly. don't forget the director of this directed some episodes of Clannad After story so she knows how to handle sadness. kyoto animation are one of the best studios out there

I think that's the thing though, this isn' 'just' a sad romance, it's a story about regret, guilt, self loathing and a bunch of other emotions that I flat out have never seen Kyoani do once. Maybe a little bit in after story but that wasn't really the whole focus. That was just spoiler[the MC feeling sorry for himself over losing his wife and being kind of a shitty father because of it.] and yeah Tamako Market did do a slow burn to having love brought into your life (though for me it dragged way too long for my taste.) but that was it. Now those two series don't suck for that, their their own things (though I don't care for after story as much as most people) but I don't want this coming off as superficial. Again, I don't take these people for idiots but they've been doing practially 1 thing for so long I can't help but worry about some of their more less desirable tendencies creeping into this.
MischievousMelody

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:44 pm Reply with quote
In other words, we won't be able to watch the Koe no Katachi film until 2017. That's quite a wait, but I'm sure that all of the waiting will be worth it in the end! Very Happy
DontmesswithKarma

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Thatguy3331 wrote:
DontmesswithKarma wrote:
Thatguy3331 wrote:

I think that's the thing though, this isn' 'just' a sad romance, it's a story about regret, guilt, self loathing and a bunch of other emotions that I flat out have never seen Kyoani do once. Maybe a little bit in after story but that wasn't really the whole focus. That was just spoiler[the MC feeling sorry for himself over losing his wife and being kind of a shitty father because of it.] and yeah Tamako Market did do a slow burn to having love brought into your life (though for me it dragged way too long for my taste.) but that was it. Now those two series don't suck for that, their their own things (though I don't care for after story as much as most people) but I don't want this coming off as superficial. Again, I don't take these people for idiots but they've been doing practially 1 thing for so long I can't help but worry about some of their more less desirable tendencies creeping into this.

I understand your worry, but that's just the KyoAni style. this is still technically within there usual. it's slice of life with romance. not only that. but we have the director that is the best at portraying emotion. I don't think you need to worry about it one bit. these guys listen to there fans constantly. at festa's the directors themselves talk to fans constantly. not only that but this series has a major backer. JADP.
I know people hate them for Moe. and it's guaranteed they'll change the designs to be Moe. I don't mind that (this is my favourite story of all time by the way) because it will allow them to portray a multitude of emotion. I say trust these guys. the only ones I wanted touching this was Makoto Shinkai or KyoAni. we got one. and we should be glad that japan's (currently) most loved studio is making this movie that's about 3 years in development by now.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Thatguy3331 wrote:

I'm not worried. Yeah, KyoAni does horrible, horrible things to the LNs they own through their contest, but when they adapt material for a third party, they're always hyper-faithful.
robertbaldie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:57 am Reply with quote
All the wheels are in motion, all the parts in place - for this to be an amazing feat in animation and storytelling.

I board the hype train optimistically Smile
DontmesswithKarma

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:14 am Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
Thatguy3331 wrote:

I'm not worried. Yeah, KyoAni does horrible, horrible things to the LNs they own through their contest, but when they adapt material for a third party, they're always hyper-faithful.

People shouldn't be worried about faithfulness. it seems to be the big deal for the past few years that faithfulness makes or breaks a series. it doesn't (well Tokyo Ghoul... but nevermind). if they keep the soul of the series intact. if they keep the overall story intact. that to me is more important (bones rushed BBB up the ass on purpose, yet it worked so well even the mangaka praised them for the choice). A faithful adaptation can also ruin a series' potential. (Rokka with its horrid pacing). if they put in the production, put in the time, it will be fantastic.

same with their LN adaptations. They keep the soul of the series 100% intact. hence why fans of the novels are always so happy even when they do original endings and jazz.

will it be a good movie? to me, that's a more important question than will it be a good adaptation
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:19 am Reply with quote
FALL??? NOOOOO!!!!
Oh poo!! That's a long time to wait. All I can say is I hope the wait will be worth it. I think about this project daily. So I'm looking forward to seeing it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2