• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why have Japanese lyrics disappeared from anime?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:18 pm Reply with quote
It seems that Funimation no longer alternates between English and romaji for openings and endings. I noticed this in the past year or so. On my blu-ray copy of Is This is a Zombie?, they are still intact. But as you know, this show is a couple years old.

Now I'm re-watching Noragami on blu-ray with a friend and they only sub the songs in English now!? No lyrics for you. I noticed this also with Sankarea, Neptunia, and still other newer shows.
NO LYRICS ANYMORE?

BOO. I DEMAND AN EXPLANATION. Twisted Evil

Does anyone have any idea at all? Did they just stop caring? Did they get lazy? Did they stop because it speeds up the releases or what?

I don't suppose a civil complaint to them would do any good....but I'm still thinking about writing to them anyway. An anime music junkie like me really misses this feature. Sad
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:47 pm Reply with quote
I haven't noticed it on my recent release purchases (Log Horizon and Sunday Without God), nor with the stuff I've been watching on Netflix, so I can't vouch for how widespread it is.

I'm wondering if it's licensing problems, though? I know there's problems with getting the rights to not-written-for-the-series songs (like with Eden of the East), and the Tales games seem 50/50 on if they're able to get the rights to the theme songs (Xillia 1 and 2 had the original songs, Abyss and Zestiria had instrumental versions, for example).

Maybe they have the rights to use the song for their release, but they don't have the rights to the lyrics to put them in? Far fetched, but knowing how convoluted licensing can be, it's not outside the realm of possibility.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:21 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
I haven't noticed it on my recent release purchases (Log Horizon and Sunday Without God), nor with the stuff I've been watching on Netflix, so I can't vouch for how widespread it is.

I think....think Sentai Films is one of the few who still does it....though I'm not positive.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi--
You should email this question to: answerman[at]animenewsnetwork[dot]com
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
I think....think Sentai Films is one of the few who still does it....though I'm not positive.

Just for curiosity's sake, I've checked various releases I own (trying to aim for recent where I can) from Sentai (Hanayamata, Sabagebu, Yusibu), NISA (Lull in the Sea, Kotoura-san), Aniplex (Saekano), Nozomi (Magic User's Club, Tamayura), and Discotek (Cardcaptor Sakura Movie 1), and they all have romaji subtitles (either alternating or both romaji and translation at the same time). I checked Railgun S, Selector Infected Wixoss, and Inari Konkon from FUNimation, and only Railgun S has alternating romaji subs for the theme songs out of those (the Blu-ray I checked was only released just this year, but they did the work for the DVD a few years ago). Accel World from Viz doesn't have romaji subs either, though I guess I shouldn't be surprised. I think for the longest time Viz didn't even subtitle songs at all.
PeterEven

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:53 am Reply with quote
Its really sad that they no longer show Japanese lyrics.Hope it comes back soon.
aylwardgame

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:18 am Reply with quote
I hope its come back soon Japanese lyrics.
DustyND

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:30 am Reply with quote
PeterEven wrote:
Its really sad that they no longer show Japanese lyrics.Hope it comes back soon.

Totally agree with you!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1