• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - The Top Ten Games of 2015

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Undertale is indeed overrated, 6/10 from me, and i have actually played Mother 2/3. It´s also a highly unknown game just like it´s spiritual prequels.
My vote also goes for Witcher 3 as i bothered to again finish every quest. No. 2 is the impeccably written Life Is Strange and Batman rounds off the list. Sorry Lara.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Guile

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:09 pm Reply with quote
I kind of stay oblivious to indie crazes because I'm not into those styles of games, but I'll admit at least Undertale is an actual game, where as Five Nights and Freddys' seemed like people only liked it for the YouTubers who played it or the furry characters. In that game you just stand in a room pressing buttons. I didn't see the appeal.

Quote:
Falcom firmly ignores those periodic calls for RPGs, especially Japanese ones, to shed their old habits and morph into something more malleable and current. It's a good thing, too.

I'm happy for that as well Smile I don't get complaints about turn based systems being archaic and outdated since we can do real-time combat now. More often than not real-time combat in RPGs is always buttonmashy and lack strategy while turn based ones tend to have a lot more strategic and depth. The Press Turn system from SMT and Persona games is a good example, and Fire Emblem's always had a lot of careful placement and strategy to it's combat, especially if you're not playing on Casual mode where your units have permadeath. There's also the Etrian Oddessy and Kadokawa dungeon crawler series where you utilize the different classes' skills like guarding and blocking your rows from attacks with a defender class. You can even include games like the Mystery Dungeon series where you can move on the field, but the enemy moves every time you do so you can get boxed in if you aren't paying attention.

It's the main reason I'm not into WRPGs as much as I used to be. I grew up playing old game series like Fallout, Dungeon Master, Neverwinter Nights, and Baldur's Gate. Today it seems like those kinds of games either changed or died off. I'm not a fan of the new shooter-y Fallouts or Mass Effect style of RPG that seems to dominate the market.
Break Xerxes

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:51 pm Reply with quote
I don't think Undertale is overrated at all. I thought I would hate it and be disappointed because of its popularity. I was surprised by how much I liked it.

Last edited by Break Xerxes on Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Undertale has good music reminiscent of the past, the game itself is not for me.
Billy Toplady

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Wow the top ten list seems ... unique.

Just because you guys write for a site like ANN, you don't have to feel obliged to choose some questionable titles and shove off the other more decent candidates.
KH91

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:12 am Reply with quote
Sweet. Bloodborne made it. I didn't have any doubt it wouldn't.

Lili-Hime wrote:
Undertale at #1 and Heavensward on the list. All is right with the world.

No it's not right. It'll be right when Natsuiro High School is on the list.
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:46 am Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:

This isn't the Top 10 Worst Games of 2015 list. Twisted Evil
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 2:01 am Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:
Sweet. Bloodborne made it. I didn't have any doubt it wouldn't.

Lili-Hime wrote:
Undertale at #1 and Heavensward on the list. All is right with the world.

I googled that and threw up in my mouth a little
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 2:23 am Reply with quote
I can't Believe that Fallout 4 didn't even make the list that game was by Far the best game of 2015 Cool
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 3:17 am Reply with quote
Out of the games on the list, the only one I played (well... Still in the middle of playing, actually) is Metal Gear Solid V (both games). Such good games.
MajorZero

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 6:23 am Reply with quote
For me The Witcher 3 is undeniable GOTY with Pillars of Eternity being close second. MGSV is my personal disappointment of the year. While it presented the best gameplay in the series with incredibly variative methods of completion of any given mission it's also repetitive, incomplete, has one of the most boring and dead open worlds (probably even worse than Far Cry 2) and the worst story in the series.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:14 am Reply with quote
Two of the top games of this year are RPGs: Fallout 4 and Witcher 3
danpmss

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 8:48 am Reply with quote
Undertale is the best game of the year for a very good reason, and if you don't agree, you either did not understood what did you just played, or you didn't even played to the end at all (is really simple to say that Muv Luv is shit since the first 15 hours of the VN are generic and dull, so don't judge a game before playing it to the end), or it's just not a game for you (you can't deny however the several spectacular features, elements, plot, music, characters and gameplay of the game as a whole, so this is also not a good excuse).

The story, the characters the themes, the messages and the overall development and execution AND interaction specially, of all these elements are top notch. They simply can't even be nitpicked, since they were so well thought in every way (and we are talking about a very short (yet very complex in a sense) game, just to remind you all).

The music department is suberb as well, even if one is to say the music style is a subjective matter (and even it that was the case, the soundtrack has several different kinds of music, so there isn't really much to say, there is at least one or more songs that will make you go crazy over it for weeks).

The gameplay is revolutionary, and it is a deconstruction + a complete reconstruction of the RPG genre as a whole (in an even more profound way of its spiritual predecessor "Mother" (even though I would say that between those two, I would rather go with the second one... Both games (in Mother's case, game series) are hidden masterpieces that should be played at least once, to the end, by any person in the world.

And finally, the overall enjoyment is the only real subjective matter. If you like retro games with great story and gameplay (with a specially deep integration of these two elements, since the programmer thought about literally EVERYTHING), this game is THE game you were expecting to play (otherwise, if you are the "hur dur graphics are one of the most important elements" or something else, your enjoyment can be really variable).

Last edited by danpmss on Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:24 am; edited 1 time in total
danpmss

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 9:02 am Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
Undertale is indeed overrated, 6/10 from me, and i have actually played Mother 2/3. It´s also a highly unknown game just like it´s spiritual prequels.

Yup, being an unknown game means that it is overrated and any of this means that it doesn't deserve the spot. Of course. Because popularity (or, ugh... a cancerous fanbase), is so important to the overall quality of the content.

residentgrigo wrote:
My vote also goes for Witcher 3 as i bothered to again finish every quest. No. 2 is the impeccably written Life Is Strange and Batman rounds off the list. Sorry Lara.

Life is Strange.

Impeccably written.

Pick one, that plot-hole-ish try-hard (that dialogue, just to recall) trainwreck is nothing spectacular at all (the whole time-travel thing is never even explained, and it was like the most important thing in the whole story).
MajorZero

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 9:57 am Reply with quote
Speaking of Undertale, I've played it yesterday right till the moment where designer decided to give you The Stanley Parable lecture about hand holding (or was it about trust) and turn it off. Don't think I'll restart it soon. Haven't seen anything revolutionary or even evolutionary about its gameplay, then again, I quit before the end of tutorial, so what do I know.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4