• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Manga titles in Viz Big quality

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Svcy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 2:30 am Reply with quote
Please lists all manga in viz big quality. I like the quality of viz big but only few have it.

is regular viz big exist? 1 vol per book?
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:24 am Reply with quote
Viz doesn't really seem to use their BIG editions much these days, but if you're simply asking for manga printed in higher quality than normal, that I can help with!

Viz's Sig line tends to have slightly higher quality of paper, and they have nicer covers with the flaps that fold inside (french flaps), also printed on oversized paper as well. Also, these are typically single volumes at a time. Some titles include: Ooku, House of Five Leaves, Afterschool Charisma, and Bokurano, but there's a lot more.

Viz also prints some things on nicer hardcovers now, namely, Sunny. About the size of the Sig line, but in hardcover. They seem to really like Taiyo Matsumoto, as they've also published his GoGo Monster and Tekkon Kinkreet in uber nice hardcovers too.

Fantagraphics might not publish much manga, but whatever they do publish is pretty much always in glorious, oversized hardcover with color pages when possible. Wandering Son, Heart of Thomas, and A Drunken Dream (and soon: Otherworld Barbara next year) are all above any beyond your typical manga release.

Yen Press has a few nicer releases as well. Bride's Story is a single volume hardcover release, Thermae Romae were not only two-in-ones (released in 3 volumes instead of 6), but were hardcovers with slip covers, and possibly the largest print manga volumes that I own. They also have a few nicer releases floating around their catalog (Angel of Elhamburg, Demon From Afar, Emma, Wolf Children) and some nicer paper stock and in full color manhwa (Milkyway Hitchhiking, Void's Enigmatic Mansion). They also have lots of oversized manhwa in omnibuses (like Goong).

Vertical has done some very nice releases as well. Currently, Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin is hardcover, two-in-ones, color pages, bonus interviews in the back, nice paper stock, etc. I believe there's 11 or 12 of them. Chi's Sweet Home is full color on nicer paper too (though the book size is normal). Back when they could do Tezuka, every release was pretty much right on target, with hardcovers for many of the series on first print.

DMP, speaking of Tezuka, every Tezuka release from DMP is glorious. Except for Unico (which is full color), they're pretty much all oversized. The earlier ones don't have as nice of paper, but they've since been reprinted with nicer paper. They go up on Kickstarter periodically to try and get more out. Though, unlike Vertical's Tezuka series, these are mostly paperbacks. They also did a glorious release of the Speed Racer manga (I'm not thinking it sold too well, sadly, but it's cheap to get on the second hand market), which is two hardcovers in a chipboard box.

Kodansha can probably stand to play catch up (compared to other publishers), but Vinland Saga is hardcover 2-in-1s, which needs more sales or it might be cancelled on top of it (they were clearly expecting a bigger seller), though it's a normal sized manga overall. They do have "colossal editions" for Fairy Tail and Attack on Titan though, probably at least as big as those Thermae Romae books. They each have 5 volumes packed into there as well, so they're about 1000 pages each. They also reprinted Akira and Ghost in the Shell's manga in massively oversized editions (though they were just reprinting what Dark Horse had done ages ago, really)

Tokyopop, back when they existed, finally started with some nicer releases at some point in their existence. They only released 4 volumes of 2-in-1s for Fruits Basket, but they were oversized and hardcover. They released 5 volumes of 3-in-1s for Battle Royale, which had the covers of all the single releases in color pages (and the spines were the main character's various faces, also from a cover I believe)
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 2:01 am Reply with quote
@Scvy, the only Viz Big edition I've ever seen in stores is for Vagabond, which I thought were pretty good. The covers were pretty thick and so was the paper quality. As classicalzawa said, Viz's Sig line is usually very good quality. I have a couple volumes of Monster, Solanin, What a wonderful world, and Dorohedoro. The volumes for those series have nice, thick french flaps and the paper quality is large and thick.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:05 am Reply with quote
If you read adult stuff too, FAKKU makes it their goal to release their books as close to the original Japanese edition. They do dust jackets, full color pages, high quality paper, etc.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1